Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GB Feature: Icewind Dale: The Past, Present, and Future

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>GameBanshee <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105477-gb-feature-icewind-dale-the-past-present-and-future-editorial.html">has an editorial piece</a> on the Past, Present and possible Future of the Icewind Dale Series. Here are a few snippets:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Icewind Dale was initially conceived as a lower-budget title, intended to help fill out Interplay's catalogue by repurposing their older technology and filling the gap between the two Baldur's Gate games. As former Black Isle technical designer Scott Everts explained,</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>While not a massive commercial success, Icewind Dale was well-received by critics and fans alike; given these conditions, an expansion pack was a pretty sure bet, and Interplay obliged with Heart of Winter in 2001. Heart of Winter kept much of the focus on dungeon-crawling of the original game, but exposed more of Icewind Dale's lore and world than the original game ever did, with a plot revolving more around conflict between the Ten-Towns, the barbarian tribes of the Dale, an ancient frost wyrm, and a cryptic, blind seer. Set in and around the village of Lonelywood, Heart of Winter provided more in the way of character interaction, side-quests, and even some mild choice and consequence that was lacking from the original story. Technically, a number of improvements were made to the game and its engine, most notably a higher resolution, a slew of extra high-level spells, a raised level cap, and the Heart of Fury mode, which substantially increased the difficulty level and made replaying with a well-developed party a more fulfilling experience.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>With its two expansion packs, good reputation with critics and fans, and an idle D&amp;D license, it was only fitting that in 2002, Interplay and Black Isle Studios would release Icewind Dale II. While the original game had always been conceived as a lower-budget alternative to the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale II's development history was significantly more troubled. Interplay's financial woes during 2001 had begun to escalate, and as a result, several ongoing RPG projects, including TORN and Van Buren (the ill-fated Fallout 2 sequel), were delayed or canceled outright in order to make more room for what Interplay considered to be the more reliable Icewind Dale brand. Initially given a development window of only four months, according to lead designer Josh Sawyer, even with the additional team members gained from the cancelation of those other projects, as well as further delays, Icewind Dale II saw a rushed production cycle.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>One of the more persistent rumors floating around the Internet over the last year has been that the Icewind Dale games will, indeed, be reborn, this time at the hands of Obsidian Entertainment, most well-known for their repertoire of ex-Black Isle staff. Today certainly seems like the perfect time to bring back the isometric and tactical gameplay the series is known for, and not at all unrealistic either. Although nothing explicit has been stated, Obsidian have apparently been pushing for a chance to revisit Icewind Dale for a long time already, and given that Wizards of the Coast seem set to push D&amp;D in a big way with the flurry of new Neverwinter-based games, the marriage seems one that is all the more plausible.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>It is quite a long read, but reather interesting. You can <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105477-gb-feature-icewind-dale-the-past-present-and-future-editorial.html">read the entire article here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Thanks Cynic!</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105477-gb-feature-icewind-dale-the-past-present-and-future-editorial.html">GameBanshee</a></p>

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I never played Heart of Winter, but do they say they turned Icewind Dale into a story-lore-dialogue-consequences game with this expansion?

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but they made the original ID to stand out as a pause-able real time munchkin-fest. Bringing narrative-ist elements back only makes it the same as other RPGs of its time.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wyrmlord said:
I never played Heart of Winter, but do they say they turned Icewind Dale into a story-lore-dialogue-consequences game with this expansion?

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but they made the original ID to stand out as a pause-able real time munchkin-fest. Bringing narrative-ist elements back only makes it the same as other RPGs of its time.
Definitely not. There's just a bit more story and a few more side-quests, and a few minor consequences which the first game lacked almost entirely. One example is killing an assassin before he can go after someone - there's no reward or XP, but you can piece it together from the hints dropped by the game and the intended target won't die. Another example is that importing characters from the first game and bringing along the Ultimate Weapon of Doom will let you upgrade it further. It resembles a more traditional CRPG a little bit more, but not quite to the degree Icewind Dale II does. Think of it as transitionary between the original and sequel, with more Ron Perlman than either.

Phelot

Arcane
From the article said:
Today certainly seems like the perfect time to bring back the isometric and tactical gameplay the series is known for, and not at all unrealistic either.

What? I thought this style was a dying breed?

Anyway, IWD games were fun stuff in my opinion and often times overlooked. They really were the "trashy novels" of cRPGs back then. Nothing too deep story wise, but I always thought the gameplay was fun. Personally, I liked IWD1 better than 2, but whatever. I didn't really follow game news back then so I kept waiting for a IWD2 expansion pack...

Cynic

Arcane
I reckon it would be cool if you guys had some thread merging powers...seems like whenever a news item gets posted before mods see it, there are 2 threads going on, would be better to keep it all in the same place no?

Anyway, Jaesun you might think I am a retard, but you love Lord Soth so you can't hate me.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lightknight said:
Initially given a development window of only four months
Ha. Ha. Ha.

Jesus and fuck. These days you'd barely get an intro video from a studio of 100 people in that time.

Excommunicator said:
How about a new IP for once

Er, the general consensus here is that people want PST2, Fallout3(real), TOEE2, VTMB2, Arcanum2, IWD3, MM10, Wiz9, Ultima10, System Shock 3 etc.

When they get new(er) IP's they whine like bitches lamenting that no-one makes sequels to the above.

waywardOne

Arcane
Excommunicator said:

Exactly. All any of them manage to do is rape the corpse of a once decent/great franchise. Who gives a fuck if Obsidian has some BI crew? Look at Obsidian's releases in the last 5 years and try to say with a straight face that you think they'll do a good job with IWD3.

Shannow

Waster of Time
commie said:
Excommunicator said:

Er, the general consensus here is that people want PST2, Fallout3(real), TOEE2, VTMB2, Arcanum2, IWD3, MM10, Wiz9, Ultima10, System Shock 3 etc.

When they get new(er) IP's they lament that no-one makes decent, faithful sequels to the above.
fixed

What's up with your trolling recently? You used to be a decent poster but in the last weeks you've become like an immature mixture of volly and drog. Is there any way we can help you put this shitty phase behind you? Or is it just puberty setting in and there's nothing to be done?

OT: Forgive me people, for remaining sceptical for the nonce.
Dungeon Siege 3 in Fâerun.
Yeah, that's what I'd expect until I see proof otherwise.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Shannow said:
commie said:
Excommunicator said:

When they get new(er) IP's they lament that no-one makes decent, faithful sequels to the above.
fixed

What's up with your trolling recently? You used to be a decent poster but in the last weeks you've become like an immature mixture of volly and drog. Is there any way we can help you put this shitty phase behind you? Or is it just puberty setting in and there's nothing to be done?.

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm just tired of all the hypocritical and contradictory bullshit spewed forth by people here. Remember that crying baby cartoon by MCA? That's EXACTLY how it is around here for the most part with people bitching like little shits about everything even as they vote DA:O or The Witcher as RPG GOTY. Then of course to prove they are 'worthy' of the codex, then then piss all over these games that they were just praising and finishing 7 times. Fuck off with that shit. I took a break cause the shitty 2011 newfags were corrupting all the decent discussions and now when I return I see most of all the old fags joining in the derp.

Oh and you didn't 'fix' anything, you just backed up my point that people whine for sequels and not new IP's as Excommunicator wants. Adding that they want 'decent faithful sequels' doesn't change what I wrote as that's a given. Since they haven't even gotten any sequels to the above (apart from Beth's re-imagining) then they can't really lament lack of a decent, faithful sequel as for the most part there hasn't even been an unfaithful sequel to those games. So how is that trolling when you agree with me?

sser

Arcane
Developer
The atmosphere of those games is simply outstanding and I would be very interested to see a well done story attached to that world. I mean, it wouldn't totally surprise me to learn Obsidian is looking into it because you really could do a lot with that setting; maybe even (gasp) give the 4E-rules a go with a CRPG? I would take it.

Corvinus

Arcane
I am certain that any sequels they would manage to churn out would be dumbed-down shit that appeals to the masses who don't like rpg's. It is all about the money, and it breaks my heart. :decline:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Shannow said:
commie said:
k, have fun with that :salute:

Heh, I'm probably old enough to be your father. What I'm going through is an early mid life crisis borne about by spending my few free minutes wallowing among spotty, angst ridden, whiny, self entitled, spoiled brats.

Thanks for the roundabout vote of confidence though in my previous incarnation. I'll get back there...eventually.

Cynic

Arcane
Commie you know you be keepin' it realz and these foolz just be playa hatin'

I expect that hoping for turnbased in the vein of Temple of Elemental Evil or Knights of the Chalice would be to much to hope for. However even RtwP like in the original infinity engine games could be enjoyable if it was done correctly. As long as they stay away from 4th edition and keep a larger party unlike most games these days it could potentially be a bit of decent fun hacking trough dungeons.

Deleted member 7219

This is one series that deserves to stay dead. The IWD games were some of the worst I've ever played.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Icewind Dale II was the last game released to run on the then-dated Infinity Engine, and at the time of release, it was hard not to look at the game's 2D visuals as a little bit long in the tooth, especially next to Neverwinter Nights and its entirely 3D game engine.
Major decline from sea. I expect this kind of talk from ignorant journalists who don't know any better, though at least you have that "at the time of release" modifier.

And if IWD were to come back it'd probably be some browser/mobile game since both Chapman and Sawyer are convinced a game of its type wouldn't get funded otherwise. :M

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
sser said:
The atmosphere of those games is simply outstanding and I would be very interested to see a well done story attached to that world. I mean, it wouldn't totally surprise me to learn Obsidian is looking into it because you really could do a lot with that setting; maybe even (gasp) give the 4E-rules a go with a CRPG? I would take it.

Not very excited for a cRPG with the 4rth editions mechanics, but hell would I love a new game in that setting. :oops:

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Roguey said:
And if IWD were to come back it'd probably be some browser/mobile game since both Chapman and Sawyer are convinced a game of its type wouldn't get funded otherwise. :M

Chapman thinks that no one would play something like IWD3 on the PC because Skyrim is so much more awesome. Instead, he thinks that it should sell on iPad for $15.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excommunicator said:

They are working on a new IP of their own creation currently.

But they need a Publisher that is interested in it.....

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Roguey said:
]Major decline from sea. I expect this kind of talk from ignorant journalists who don't know any better, though at least you have that "at the time of release" modifier.
It's a retrospective piece. Not sure if you were around for the reviews, but go back and read some and I think you'll find "it's the goddamn Infinity Engine again" was a common complaint. I'm totally fine with 2D visuals but I admit that after so much time spent playing those games, even something like the interface improvements in Neverwinter Nights, or the smoother framerate and lack of pixel-hunting make the game a lot more playable. Of course, Neverwinter Nights also looked like shit, but again, I was speaking "at the time" when 3D was all the rage. Hell, even to this day most people worship that game for some horrible reason or other.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Interface IMPROVMENTS in NWN ? :o

It was a clunky and soulless, ugly piece of shit IMO. The Interface in, especially IWDII worked just fine..

I don't understand the comment on Pixelhunting either, you just press altt or shift and it shows everything laying on ground/hidden doors (if a character noticed it) and so on...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom