Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tim Cain Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Tim Cain

<p>Will Ooi, who's apparently on an Obsidian-interviewing spree, switched his attention to Obsidian Entertainment's newest employee Tim Cain. A snippet from <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/WillOoi/20111026/8734/Unmasking_the_Gamers_Tim_Cain__Industry_Veteran_Programmer_and_CoCreator_of_Fallout.php" target="_blank">the interview</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span><strong>Will Ooi: Hi Mr Cain, thank you very much for taking part in this interview series, and first of all congratulations on securing a role at Obsidian. How do you feel about this move, and what does it mean for your and Obsidian's future plans?</strong>&nbsp;<br /><br /><strong>Tim Cain:</strong>&nbsp;I really enjoy working at Obsidian. I know many of the people there from our time at Interplay or Troika, and I have played all of Obsidian's games, so in many ways this new job was the smoothest transition I have ever made. Everyone there has been very friendly and welcoming, and I am excited to be back in the RPG game space.&nbsp;<br /><br />But I should explain that I am a temporary contracted employee at Obsidian. I am considering joining another company in the spring of 2012 and have been talking with them since August, so in the meantime I am working at Obsidian on one of their games as a senior programmer. My contract extends thru March of 2012, at which time all parties (myself, Obsidian and the other company) can decide what the next step should be.&nbsp;<br /><br /><strong>Will Ooi: Could you give us some more information about what your title of Senior Programmer will involve, and how you'll fit in to the company's hierarchy?</strong>&nbsp;<br /><br /><strong>Tim Cain:</strong>&nbsp;As a senior programmer, I have been assigned to work for Dan Spitzley on their New York project. I am working on various coding tasks concerning combat and general gameplay. The group is very open to design suggestions from all of its members, and they hold weekly meetings where the game is played and anyone can suggest changes to gameplay, anything from new abilities to UI to voice over. Everyone at Obsidian is very passionate about their games, and it shows in their development process.</span></p>
<p><span>...</span></p>
<p><span><span><strong>WO: Any chance of there being an&nbsp;<em>Arcanum</em>&nbsp;sequel at Obsidian?</strong>&nbsp;<br /><br /><strong>TC:</strong>&nbsp;Anything is possible.</span></span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Tim, I think I've already ordered Arcanum 2 with 3.5 OGL character system and tb combat. Don't disappoint.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
WO: Any chance of there being an Arcanum sequel at Obsidian?

TC: Anything is possible.

:love: Yes! It makes perfect sense! Why would they contract Tim right now? They are working on a franchise which they couldn't refuse, they were looking for people to work on a high profile RPG. Arcanum 2, here I come!

Please guys, don't wake me up, I want to dream a little longer.

MCA
Arcanum Protocol.

Kind of sad to hear that Tim is only temporary, though but perhaps we won't miss him at all after Obsidian's next popamole cover console shooter comes out.

.Sigurd

Educated
DwarvenFood said:
Nor Arcanum, nor AP are animated series. God damn why don't they announce it yet..
They don't have only one project being made. There's the Xbox Live game and the other called Defiance ("We have a great idea for a new world we've just started pitching to publishers and we have an older pitch that we really like called "Defiance" which is about a fantasy world where, basically, Sauron won" -Urquhart). I don't know if this New York project is one of the two or a new one.

:bounce:

curry

Arcane
Someone should have asked him what's it like to be a gay man in gaming industry. And which one has tastier dick, Sawyer or Avellone. I bet Tim has already sucked both

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity

:o

Make it happen, Mr. Cain.

Sierra still owns the IP, I assume?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oriental European said:
Arcanum 2? Here, I'm cumming!
fiksed.

I love Arcanum, i want him to love me.
When i feel down, i want him above me.
When i think about him i touch myself, la la la.
Sometimes the Codex really becomes a disturbing place.

Ruprekt

Scholar
And I do like how the game has been extended in many ways, into 3D play, into real-time combat, and into new areas of the world. These extensions enrich the IP and bring it to a new audience of gamers.

Homosexualists have no principles or moral fibre.

Who cares about this traitor, anyway? Arcanum was pure statist propaganda.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Besides, if Arcanum 2 is ever released, it's going to be a shallow action RPG with maybe a cool story by courtesy of MCA, so don't even get too excited.

kaizoku

Arcane
But I should explain that I am a temporary contracted employee at Obsidian. I am considering joining another company in the spring of 2012 and have been talking with them since August, so in the meantime I am working at Obsidian on one of their games as a senior programmer. My contract extends thru March of 2012, at which time all parties (myself, Obsidian and the other company) can decide what the next step should be.
This is a huge disappointment. What the hell is the holdup for a life time commitment?

As a senior programmer, I have been assigned to work for Dan Spitzley on their New York project.
What is this?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So... bets on whetehr BIo or Bethesda is the company he will be moving onto next? R00fles!

kaizoku

Arcane
I suspect Tim's deciding factor will probably be what project he'll be working and what control does he has over it.

I'm really doubtful that it could be some money issue or competence.

Considering how he trolled Bethesda on that Matt Chat's interview... I doubt it.
Maybe it's Activision Blizzard *cough*Arcanum 2*cough*

Zak

Educated
Tim Cain said:
I am considering joining another company in the spring of 2012 and have been talking with them since August

Iron Tower, Doublebear? :M

MetalCraze

Arcane
Shannow said:
In b4 fanboys slit their wrists because Tim starts working for Bethesda.

Better than Obsidian

Obsidian is like crazy back alley bum - first it watches how one franchise gets raped than killed like a cheap crack whore, then it waits until the original murderer-rapist leaves and then it rapes the corpse.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
MetalCraze said:
Shannow said:
In b4 fanboys slit their wrists because Tim starts working for Bethesda.

Better than Obsidian

Obsidian is like crazy back alley bum - first it watches how one franchise gets raped than killed like a cheap crack whore, then it waits until the original murderer-rapist leaves and then it rapes the corpse.
And the result is that the corpse comes back to life. God bless them! :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom