Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun Released

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>In other happy news Obsidian's Dungeon Siege III saw the release of <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/39270/" target="_blank">its first DLC</a>,&nbsp;Treasures of the Sun.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>In Dungeon Siege III: Treasures of the Sun, players will extend their journey and travel beyond the borders of Ehb to an all-new environment: the Aranoi Desert. On their search for a lost Legion hero, players will fight through hordes of new villains only to find a forgotten abbey hiding a long-lost secret: the greatest treasure of the Azunite faith.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Key features:</p>
<ul>
<li>New abilities: Players will be able to attain mastery of the arcane through powerful new attack, defense and healing abilities.</li>
<li>Level up to 35: Treasures of the Sun will further power up players by raising Dungeon Siege III's existing level cap from 30 to 35.</li>
<li>More monsters and items: Players will encounter new monsters in the Aranoi Desert&mdash;including mummies and giant skeletons&mdash;and will find more powerful items, adding to the thousands already available in Dungeon Siege III.</li>
<li>Reallocate Talent &amp; Proficiency Points: Players can reallocate points spent in Proficiencies and Talents, enabling changes to character customization throughout the campaign.</li>
<li>New Enchanting System: Transmuting items now gives players chances at gaining powerful new Vials that allow them to enhance their weapons and armor through the DLC&rsquo;s new enchanting system.</li>
</ul>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I'd rather travel the Anauroch desert learning more about the Azuthite faith.</p>

ortucis

Prophet
Cool can';t wait to get this. Enjoyed DS3 so I hope this DLC gives you more talkative NPCs with large dialogue tree this time. :P

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Dicksmoker said:
Impressions?

Positive

~5 hours playtime (-up to 8 if you really go all out on it)
~Enchantment system works fine and adds much needed customization
~Areas are generally bigger and more open (Well, compared to the main game)
~More challenging than the main game. The main games difficulty was also upped.

MCA
Out of curiosity, I didn't remove the original DS3 from the inventory and have been playing it for a couple hours. I'm playing the gunslinging bitch and I love the great attention to detail on her, like her tits swinging about while she's moving away and her outfits are mostly nice to look at.

So far, I'm not a fan of the entire character system. Talents, Abilities and Proficiencies, they all feel like an inefficient clusterfuck to me. I'm not a fan of the over-simplistic combat. Inventory is shit. Interface in general is shit. Power-ups feel very contrived. Writing is fucking abysmal. Whole game feels very consolish and very much aimed at preteens.

I almost can't believe this is an Obsidian game (edit: nevermind, I just remembered AP again). I guess I can't blame them for the shit game lore, being sequel to an already shit series but entire thing feels very uninspired.

Also, camera. Fucking camera.

Does it get any better after the Rukkenvahl hub, assuming it's a hub area at all?

Stinger

Arcane
It does get better but not significantly, the tone is still generally the same. The story gets more interesting but it's very different from the usual Obsidian stories (it's probably the most idealistic game Obsidian's ever done which is really weird considering their usual writing style)

Stonebridge is the best 'hub' imo and it's a nice fun little romp with a great boss battle at the end, but overall the game isn't going to suddenly change halfway through and become MoTB2 or anything.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Stinger said:
It does get better but not significantly, the tone is still generally the same. The story gets more interesting but it's very different from the usual Obsidian stories (it's probably the most idealistic game Obsidian's ever done which is really weird considering their usual writing style)

Uhm, what exactly was idealistic? The story and background lore practically accuses the legion itself the most.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stinger said:
Stonebridge is the best 'hub' imo and it's a nice fun little romp with a great boss battle at the end, but overall the game isn't going to suddenly change halfway through and become MoTB2 or anything.

I disliked Stonebridge cause you spent so much time going from one end to the other with nothing to do in between. Those constant pauses while the gates opened were really annoying. It could have been made half as big.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
$10 for 5 hours is a positive? Hell, the base game should have been $20, max.

ortucis

Prophet
Metro, it isn't a Indie game with shit visuals we are talking about.

The gameplay is still better than most Indie RPGs out there. Visuals certainly are. Besides, I'd be surprised if most people on Codex even paid for the original, let alone the DLC..

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Metro said:
$10 for 5 hours is a positive? Hell, the base game should have been $20, max.

For a 9$ DLC.

Yes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom