Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Level System in Mass Effect 3

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3

<p>Only Logical attended the Eurogamer Expo and <a href="http://mranthonydr.blogspot.com/2011/10/levelling-up-in-mass-effect-3.html" target="_blank">share some info</a> on Mass Effect 3's leveling system:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>On first glance, Mass Effect 3 appears to have retained the system from the second game (albeit with more progression levels). On closer inspection, however, Mass Effect 3 gives us way more options to play with.&nbsp; First, the player selects an ability from a screen resembling the one from Mass Effect 2.<br /><br />The game then allows the player to select upgrades specific to that ability, and even choose the particular path that he would prefer the skill to follow. For example, you can actively develop a skill to have more range than force, or vice-versa. In some ways this provides even more depth than was seen in ME1; you'll remember that despite there being a large number of options for progression, in the first game they were all linear.<br /><br />Despite this added depth, however, BioWare have been able to give the system an intuitive user interface; more so than Mass Effect 1. So put all of this together, and the end result is a rewarding, deep levelling system with a simple user interface. Outstanding work, BioWare!</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks, Teepo.</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

In some ways this provides even more depth than was seen in ME1; you'll remember that despite there being a large number of options for progression, in the first game they were all linear.

Despite this added depth, however, BioWare have been able to give the system an intuitive user interface; more so than Mass Effect 1. So put all of this together, and the end result is a rewarding, deep levelling system with a simple user interface. Outstanding work, BioWare!
SXQ9d.jpg

Jump-dive in it. Emerge without a bruise - then you can talk about its depth.

Raapys said:
How will this end??
kosh.jpg

Raapys

Arcane
In fire. [/kosh]

Had almost forgotten the scene. Centauri emperor, I believe.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
this article and game PR in general these days makes a lot more sense if you imagine that the mass effect team is staffed by eight year olds

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Isn't that exactly how it works in ME2? For instance I could upgrade my biotic charge to slow time on arrival or cause more impact, etc. I guess this time it'll have more options (read: spread the effect in five different ranks).

Such deep character development, I'm truly amazed.

MetalCraze

Arcane
even more depth than was seen in ME1

:lol:

I kinda pity these people. Due to how narrowminded they are and ignore anything that isn't made by next-gen devshit they don't even begin to realize how utterly shallow ME1 is.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm sure that this compelling, deep character development system will have an incredible influence on gameplay, and will be fully integrated in quest and narrative design. Just think - instead of letting the enemy get away, if you're a Vanguard, you can just charge in front of them and block their path! And those biotics, well, I'm sure there will be tons of opportunities where you'll be able to say, lift heavy objects out of the way instead of hunt down explosives to blow them up. For hackers, well, I'm sure there will be dozens of places were you're able to bypass certain quest objectives by simply breaking into a computer to find the information you need. I can't wait for Mass Effect 3 to deliver the strong character-driven quest design and interactivity I've always wanted.

oh wait except it will be another fucking stupid shooter and character building will have absolutely fucking nothing to do whatsoever with anything in the entire game

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
MetalCraze said:
even more depth than was seen in ME1

:lol:

I kinda pity these people. Due to how narrowminded they are and ignore anything that isn't made by next-gen devshit they don't even begin to realize how utterly shallow ME1 is.

You mean how they have more to do than playing video games

Ah fuck it i've done this 3000 times before

And you're still faggots, too

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
MetalCraze said:
Because you need to play 100 videogames to find a better one than Mass Effect
More like they only know a few (popular) franchises

Satan

Educated
Oh yes, "sign up for our facebook to receive bonus +1 helmet!" sounds like an awesome idea :smug:

hoopy

Savant
John Walker said:
However, I’ve still enough faith in BioWare to assume that they’ll get this right. Right?
:hmmm:

I thought only the story and characters would get derpier, since the gameplay is already so barebones that they can't ruin it any further, but I should have known they'd go completely next gen with all this multiplayer and Facebook shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I really hate when people get allc razy mad about BIO adding MP to ME3 by claiming that BIO was 'furiously devoted' to signle player. They've been doing MP basically since they were created. FFS, The BG series - the one that put them on the map - also had MP. NWN, their most successful game until the DA-ME-DA2-ME2 quad, had a huge focus on MP. So, people can STFU!

hoopy

Savant
NWN was focused on MP and the campaign was a half-assed afterthought. ME has been completely SP until now. They're only adding MP because every game has to have MP now, no matter what.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I've only played Mass Effect 2, 6 times. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom