Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Troika PA engine

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Troika Games

The <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/>NMA</a> spy network has acquired a very exclusive and very cool <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=654>video clip</a> of Troika's PA engine. So, check it out, cry, then write an angry letter to your congressman, member of parliament, politburo, royal family, or tribal council.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Briosafreak</b>

Spazmo

Erudite
Like a bunch of people at DAC said, the performance seems to be iffy, but goddamn if it isn't real pretty. Too bad nothing is likely to come of it.

DemonKing

Arcane
Spazmo said:
Like a bunch of people at DAC said, the performance seems to be iffy, but goddamn if it isn't real pretty. Too bad nothing is likely to come of it.

Is it just me or does it seem that the Forces of Evil are actively aligned against PC Crpgs?

In the last few years alone we've had Torn, BG3 and FO3 trashed, and BIS & Troika go under. Someone's trying to punish us for the golden years from 1998-2000. First the feast, and now the famine. :(

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DemonKing said:
Is it just me or does it seem that the Forces of Evil are actively aligned against PC Crpgs?

In the last few years alone we've had Torn, BG3 and FO3 trashed, and BIS & Troika go under. Someone's trying to punish us for the golden years from 1998-2000. First the feast, and now the famine. :(

I doubt TORN would have been that good. That said, Reflexive was working on two turn based CRPGs that got crushed as well. Interplay wanted them to make a CRPG out of Deadlands using SPECIAL, and Atari wanted them to make a turn based CRPG with the Ravenloft D&D setting. Given the first part of Lionheart, the writing could have been decent for both, and a turn based Deadlands with SPECIAL would have been pretty nifty.

Interplay pulled the plug on the Deadlands one after the first milestone was done, because Interplay never actually had the license for it. They also decided not to pay Reflexive anything for all that work, which they didn't. Atari pulled the plug on the Ravenloft one because they didn't want to over extend the D&D license in computer gaming - but they're making an RTS out of it. I'm sure there's some logic there somewhere.

And yeah, pity about that movie. It is damned pretty.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nice movie. They just need to destroy the first person view. First eprosn views should die. Die and got to hell. I'd rather have a game with the weakness of ALL THREE of Troika's games than a 1st person view. Thank you.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Volourn, the first person view is nothing special. It's a 3D world and you can place the camera where ever you want. I think they were just showing off that fact.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Don't care. FIRST PERSON VIEW MUST DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE in all its forms. NO MERCY!

Seven

Erudite
I don't know about the performance being iffy. It looked good and seemed to run smoothly when I watched it (perhaps my senses aren't discriminating enough?). I liked its visual and audio style, it's a shame that they couldn't find a publisher.

Visbhume

Prophet
Saint_Proverbius said:
Atari wanted them to make a turn based CRPG with the Ravenloft D&D setting.

There was another Ravenloft RPG in the works ? Damn, I would have liked to play that game.

Reklar

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Don't care. FIRST PERSON VIEW MUST DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE in all its forms. NO MERCY!

Wow, I don't know if I've ever seen you so vehemently against anything before. Your response to everything is usually more apathetic than anything else, even when you repeat the same thing post after post. Do you get motion sickness playing FPS games or something? :shock:

Stupid work firewalls. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home on my crappy dial-up connection to watch the video, if I can stand to wait for the download. :?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Pope_Viper

Novice
As far as the performance goes, being a tech demo, I really doubt it was fully optimized, but damn, it sure is/was pretty.

I'm really hoping Troika will tell us they are on hiatus until some dough comes in...

I'm too much of an optimist I think.

Spazmo

Erudite
Ravenloft? Ravenloft fucking sucks. It's just a bunch of pansy vampires. And I have no idea how they intend to make an RTS with a gothic horror setting--perhaps Saint is thinking of Eberron and Dragonshard? If so, an Eberron RPG would have been all right.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Nice movie. They just need to destroy the first person view. First eprosn views should die. Die and got to hell. I'd rather have a game with the weakness of ALL THREE of Troika's games than a 1st person view. Thank you.

agreed. i really dislike first person views. one of the main reasons i didnt use guns too often in bloodlines was due to this (although i know you could use guns in 3rd person, but it wasnt as acurate).

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
:cry: I suppose this turn based Ravenloft rpg is never going to come about? That's too bad, the setting's pretty good and the lack of another TB crpg is a shame as well.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
Ravenloft? Ravenloft fucking sucks. It's just a bunch of pansy vampires. And I have no idea how they intend to make an RTS with a gothic horror setting--perhaps Saint is thinking of Eberron and Dragonshard? If so, an Eberron RPG would have been all right.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL! GO PRACTICE YOUR FLEDGELING READING SKILLS ON MY RESPONSE AGAIN!

errorcode

Liturgist
meh. It's an alright piece of tech, except that the character animations are horrible. You can also point at that tech demo when looking for a reason Troika went under.

When they were spending the man hours to make that tech in a gamble to get the FO3 license they should have been trying to land a title to pay the bills with. But no, they put all their eggs in one basket and blew their wad on this tech demo and didn't manage their finances in a way to keep them alive.

ggrr...it's so fucking depressing that another good RPG studio died. The fact that they died from their own short-sightedness and financial stupidity just makes me fucking furious.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"rip out your eyeballs"

You, RL '1stp" is not the same as video game "1stp". In RL, I can see to the side of me, and with 1/1millionth of a seocnd I can eaisly see what's behind me. That's not done in 1st perosn.

Again, 1st person view sucks. Worst thing ever to find its way into games. 1st perosn view is not realistic. At all. Ever.

Period.

coaxmetal

Novice
DemonKing said:

Leaving the details out of it, I too have been wondering about that for some time. Seems to me it is not over either.

Interesting times to live in...(if you're not a rpg fan)

Scalpel

Novice
Yes, sweet video. I was pleasantly surprised with the 3d panning camera view. I've always wanted to do that in ToEE. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom