Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout: New Vegas Lonesome Road Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Brother None <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=59823" target="_blank">reviewed</a> the latest Fallout: New Vegas DLC <strong>Lonesome Roads</strong> over at NMA.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span>Unlike other DLCs, there are some consequences in the main game to the choices you make. You can wreck or increase your reputation with the factions in the Mojave, and depending on the choices you make unlock up to two additional areas in the main map, which are very small but provide a little extra, including unique weapons and armor. These high-level areas (including one in the DLC itself) provide tons and tons of ammo to players, if any of them need it - I find it hard to imagine they do.<br /><br />Getting past its linear, combat-focused design &ndash; which I'm not a huge fan of &ndash; the biggest failings of this DLC lie in its vagueness and lack of picking up loose ends in a satisfactory way. The player is given too little reason to care about the pre-disaster Divide. Many little things could've been handled better, like the explanation of ED-E's presence or why pre-war commissary machines give out bottle caps &ndash; or credit chips indistinguishable from bottle caps. The loose end of the tunnelers is never picked up. There was a lot of build-up for this plot, with the &ldquo;legendary battle of the two couriers&rdquo;, but the pay-off, especially storywise, is slight, and how exactly this battle became a legend is not adequately explained (there are no sane witnesses around).<br /><br />Before this DLC's release, Chris Avellone explained in a developer blog that the narrative of Fallout games comes largely from the players. And he's right, that has always been one of the series' main strengths. How ironic is it, then, that Lonesome Road is the very antithesis of this ideal, with an antagonist who hates you because of events that happened outside of the player's control, and a linear, railroaded path that will play out pretty much the same for everyone, differences in dialog depending on your faction allegiance aside.<br /><br />Content-wise Lonesome Road is satisfactory, and it's almost worth it just for the pretty amazing atmosphere and look of the Divide. But this linear combat-focused gameplay path will not appeal to everyone, and anyone expecting a satisfactory conclusion to the story arc of Ulysses and the Courier might be in for a let-down. If you reflect on it for a while, there is some appreciation to be found in the clever way Ulysses' arc ties in with lessons the Courier learned over previous DLC, and like Elijah in Dead Money he's an image of the cost of obsessing and failing to let go, but this does not make the main narrative structure any more satisfying in an immediate sense. It's not a bad DLC overall, but it suffers from coming right behind the excellent Old World Blues.</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Newsitem brought to you by Crooked Bee.</em></p>

Notorious

Augur
Is focused another word for rail shooter? Also the choice at the end was pretty lame (And had only minor effects even if you chose the apocalyptic ending ,which was a retarded choice in the first place).
I didn't care for ED-E and was annoyed that his story was forced on me. Ulysses dialogue seemed a bit pretentious. I have no problem with the linearity, but it didn't offer much else other than nice aesthetics and combat. So all in all I would say 5-6/10, depending on my mood.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm getting the impression this suffers from Final DLC Budget Blues, much like Mothership Zeta, Witch Hunt, and Arrival, only with slightly better writing. Never anticipate any kind of quality from the last in a series, the law of diminishing returns is working against you.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I thought it was okay, but ultimately messy and far too reliant upon combat. More than anything, I strongly dislike the idea of forcing so much backstory upon the Courier at so late a date. In core New Vegas there are flashes of backstory, moments of dialogue where you can flesh out little bits of your past...but only, and this is important, if you want to. Here it's just a huge info dump about all of this horrible shit that you apparently did before the game started but now can't remember. I would have at least liked the opportunity to choose to own the consequences of those actions or convince Ulysses that he really had the wrong guy. Instead you just sort of have to accept the situation as stated and get on with the shooty-shooty.

Maybe it's a miscalculation. Maybe it's personal preference. Maybe some of you are right and there just wasn't the budget for more. Either way it's a bit of a let down. Probably the weakest bit of story DLC that New Vegas has seen.

Stinger

Arcane
Actually it's not backstory for the Courier. It's Ulysses seeing a story where there is none. Basically

The Courier made trips along the Long 15 which became a useful trade route for the NCR and a community was built along the way. This meant nothing to the Courier cause, well, it's just a pit stop on the way for their proper delivery services. Ulysses saw the Divide and saw the symbol of the Old World and then latched onto this community as his 'home' because he's so obsessed with symbols and was disillusioned with NCR and the Legion. He noticed that the Divide had formed after the Courier had made trips along the 15 and immediately assumed that it was the Courier's doing. At one point the Courier made a delivery that set off the nukes (again, this meant nothing to the Courier, just a job they do, and it's not really adding backstory considering the Courier has already made a major delivery with far reaching consequences without realising this what with the Platinum Chip and all). I found it's a really interesting story though it means that Ulysses is actually a really pathetic, messed up, empty shell of a man who just latches onto any symbol he can find and tries to find a deeper meaning where there is none as opposed to the badass warrior poet he was foreshadowed to be

In any case, Ulysses and Lonesome Road are far from the utter disappointment that was Joshua Graham and Honest Hearts.

Xzar

Augur
Stinger said:
Actually it's not backstory for the Courier. It's Ulysses seeing a story where there is none. Basically

The Courier made trips along the Long 15 which became a useful trade route for the NCR and a community was built along the way. This meant nothing to the Courier cause, well, it's just a pit stop on the way for their proper delivery services. Ulysses saw the Divide and saw the symbol of the Old World and then latched onto this community as his 'home' because he's so obsessed with symbols and was disillusioned with NCR and the Legion. He noticed that the Divide had formed after the Courier had made trips along the 15 and immediately assumed that it was the Courier's doing. At one point the Courier made a delivery that set off the nukes (again, this meant nothing to the Courier, just a job they do, and it's not really adding backstory considering the Courier has already made a major delivery with far reaching consequences without realising this what with the Platinum Chip and all). I found it's a really interesting story though it means that Ulysses is actually a really pathetic, messed up, empty shell of a man who just latches onto any symbol he can find and tries to find a deeper meaning where there is none as opposed to the badass warrior poet he was foreshadowed to be

In any case, Ulysses and Lonesome Road are far from the utter disappointment that was Joshua Graham and Honest Hearts.

Totally agree except last point. At least Graham was drawn nicely, even if his story was just as bland and one-dimensional. Ulysess looked too generic. I was struggling to listen all his pointless and hollow babbling through that robot like never before in FNV. Also, I never got the chance to convert him to cosmopolitanism and cure him of nationalist obsession.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom