Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo 3 Beta News

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

<p>First of all, the <strong>Diablo 3</strong> closed beta has begun, <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/3542796" target="_blank">says Battle.net</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The fiery gates leading to the Burning Hells have begun to swing open, and the Diablo III beta test is officially underway. Invitations to participate in the beta test are now being delivered to the chosen heroes. As with beta tests for other Blizzard Entertainment games, the testing process for Diablo III will occur in phases. In addition to selecting players who have opted in via their Battle.net accounts, we&rsquo;ll also be providing keys through beta promotions and giveaways -- stay tuned for more info. We welcome those invited to provide feedback or report bugs on the official forums.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Secondly, a first article with <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/21/diablo-iii-incredibly-early-impressions/" target="_blank">early impressions</a> surfaced over at RPS.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>It&rsquo;s a bit more of an RPG than my withered hack-n-slash brain was thinking it would be. That&rsquo;s not to say it doesn&rsquo;t get straight into the attacking &ndash; it certainly does. But it&rsquo;s regularly interspersed by chats with the locals, all fully voiced of course, setting you your quests, or giving colour to the world. Things begin in the New Tristram, where after a star fell from the sky, the dead have started rising, and the villagers are understandably concerned. But you, whoever you are, have turned up and prove a surprisingly decent combatant to this attack. You seem the right person for everybody in the world to ask to do everything.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I&rsquo;m also loving how loot springs from dead bodies like a geyser, gold erupting from a corpse then splashing down next to it. And the journals you find. Rather than a screen of text to awkwardly read in the midst of battle, instead they&rsquo;re narrated as you play on. Also narrated is lore, appearing as an optional button, and explained to you, again, as you play. What a splendid touch. And you can blow up the pumpkins.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>In fact, much of the scenery is destructible, wagons can be pulverised, and even buildings can crumble as you explore them. It&rsquo;s bizarre to experience, doubled by its being bizarre for destructible environments to feel so unusual in this genre. But this of course means I now feel obliged to demolish every table, cart and chair I encounter. I must smash. Smash all. And it&rsquo;s worth keeping an eye out of any interesting switches or levers, as giving these a tug might bring down some more ceiling furniture on nearby mobs.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks to Grunker.</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Angthoron

Arcane
I demand that we cast off the shackles of text and embrace fully voiced news podcasts and reviews; I could settle for just voice, though optimally it should be done in video format. I feel it would be such a nice touch. Imagine this, VoD making turd puns, Andyman neighing, all conveyed by glorious next-gen sound and video stream.

VoD, go on, buy a camera or some voice recording electronics.

Satan

Educated
Angthoron said:
I demand that we cast off the shackles of text and embrace fully voiced news podcasts and reviews; I could settle for just voice, though optimally it should be done in video format. I feel it would be such a nice touch. Imagine this, VoD making turd puns, Andyman neighing, all conveyed by glorious next-gen sound and video stream.

VoD, go on, buy a camera or some voice recording electronics.

I agree, reading is so retarded, I want to see some action!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, in a game like Diablo where I am looking for mindless entertainment, it makes sense.

Krash

Arcane
Selling directly from the inventory? Monsters can barely be told apart? Shitty unnecessary wow-esque dialogue at every turn? Color filters everywhere making the environment blend together in shitty lack of detail? Ugly UI and items? I'm worried the trend of poor design and artistic decisions in the game I've seen so far may indicate that they fucked up the gameplay as well.

Phelot

Arcane
Grunker said:
Well, in a game like Diablo where I am looking for mindless entertainment, it makes sense.

I agree. Don't know what it's like in this game obviously, but I kind of liked it in Grout's Manor in Bloodlines. It certainly can be tedious reading through books and shit while monsters wait for you to unpause. Doesn't really keep with the pace. In some games it makes sense, but not in these.

Suchy

Arcane
I’m also loving how loot springs from dead bodies like a geyser, gold erupting from a corpse then splashing down next to it.
durrr, hurrrr

derp, derp, derp

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Angthoron said:
optimally it should be done in video format

yes what this magazine needs is a prestigious youtube channel with biweekly no bullshit in your face video commentary with theme opening and closing songs and and perhaps even dramatic roleplaying as the article you're 'scooping' and a hired lady mascot

Angthoron

Arcane
There could also be an opening title card that would be different every week and it could be auctioned away to the fans.

Angthoron

Arcane
Didn't real the article, but I'm sure that the customer assrape that is Diablo 3 is not complete without a vibrating gamepad in the anus.

Needles

Scholar
Krash said:
Selling directly from the inventory? Monsters can barely be told apart? Shitty unnecessary wow-esque dialogue at every turn? Color filters everywhere making the environment blend together in shitty lack of detail? Ugly UI and items? I'm worried the trend of poor design and artistic decisions in the game I've seen so far may indicate that they fucked up the gameplay as well.

They certainly did in the beta. You don't even lose health, and if you do, you'll regen back fast. Remember diablo 1 and 2? The Butcher... you basically had to use an exploit to beat that fucker. When starting Act 1 in Diablo 2 (untwinked) Bloodraven could kill your mage in 2-3 shots, and I am not even talking about enchanted monsters. Here you get fucking Leoric: WoW boss. Bloated HP, no damage.
Not only did Blizzard confirm that this is not just for the beta, they were actually proud, calling it accessible and similar gibberish. "Inferno it's where it'll be at...." Sure.
Lewt and trading and pvp (and -possibly - hardcore) are the only things that can save D3 from being shit.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Needles said:
You don't even lose health, and if you do, you'll regen back fast.

Here you get fucking Leoric: WoW boss. Bloated HP, no damage.

Not only did Blizzard confirm that this is not just for the beta, they were actually proud, calling it accessible and similar gibberish. "Inferno it's where it'll be at...." Sure.

eqy2E.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Suchy said:
I’m also loving how loot springs from dead bodies like a geyser, gold erupting from a corpse then splashing down next to it.
durrr, hurrrr
Pow! Factor! Obsidian really nailed that aspect at least.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It’s a bit more of an RPG than my withered hack-n-slash brain was thinking it would be.... it’s regularly interspersed by chats with the locals, all fully voiced of course, setting you your quests, or giving colour to the world.

Guys it has regular chats (fully voiced too, can it get any better?), cRPG classic status = confirmed! :thumbsup:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Grunker said:

AUUGHHHH MY ALL ENCOMPASING STANDARD IS BROKEN WHY DO YOU ATTACK MY PRIMITIVE NEED FOR CONCEPTUAL UNITY

Nael

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
Angthoron said:
optimally it should be done in video format

yes what this magazine needs is a prestigious youtube channel with biweekly no bullshit in your face video commentary with theme opening and closing songs and and perhaps even dramatic roleplaying as the article you're 'scooping' and a hired ladytranny mascot

Fixed.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Morgoth said:
Blizzard recommends playing Diablo 3 with a Gamepad: http://www.shacknews.com/article/70271/ ... controller

Where is your god now PC fags?

wtf

How am I supposed to play Diablo with a gamepad? Do gamepads have 20 or so buttons these days to map my abilities on to? I need at least 12 for switching to hotkey'd skills, one to attack, one to pick up all the loot around me, one to toggle the item name display, one to go to the menu-

Ah never mind.

:M :M :M

Edit:

I just read they confirmed an optional cover system for the game.

Mayday

Augur
Hey, at least they're not MESOLARPSes!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom