Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview More Than Just Zombie Bashing

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

<p>Despite the harsh conditions outlined in the previous newspost, someone managed to score an <a href="http://nightmaremode.net/2011/09/more-than-just-zombie-bashing-a-dead-state-interview-10321/" target="_blank">interview with DoubleBear's Brian Mitsoda</a> about <strong>Dead State</strong>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Like many other RPGs, Dead State has several skills and stats available to the player, but will they be chosen by the player in a more traditional sense (i.e. earning a certain amount of ExP will let you get better at a skill of your liking, or are you going for a more unconventional system? Also, will there be any sort of classes that define which skills the player has, or will the player just be designated &ldquo;survivor&rdquo;?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Our system&rsquo;s not dissimilar to Bloodlines, really. Instead of leveling up after a set amount of experience and redistributing points right then and there, the player can accumulate skill points by fulfilling objectives and spending them whenever they want. This puts control of when the player gets skill points into their hands &ndash; if they really need one to level up a skill, they can try to squeeze in one more objective (collect food, scout a location, complete an upgrade) to get that point immediately.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>There aren&rsquo;t any real classes, but the player won&rsquo;t be able to max out every skill and stat. Someone who puts points into the survival skill (good for finding wild sources of food and faster travel in the world map) would be considered a great outdoorsman, while someone with high medical skill would be considered a doctor. Higher skill levels cost more points but the rewards are better, so it&rsquo;s best to specialize in a few skills, but there&rsquo;s nothing stopping a player from being average at everything.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Andhaira

Arcane
Hum, I wish Brian and Annie all the best with this game and hope it is quite profitable, but I for one won't be playing it. I just can't get into a zombie game, even if it is a turnbased rpg (it is turnbased right?)

However, if the game is successful Brian and Annie might decide to go for a fantasy game. That would really pique my interest.

Bulba

Learned
If my memory serves me right, Brian said that the game will be released before 2013.

This is a sort of a deadline I suppose.

MapMan

Arcane
Black Mesa source team said their definite deadline is 2008.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
This and AOD are the only rpg's I'm looking forward to. There is absolutely nothing else that even seems to come close to the kind of rpg's I loved back in the day.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
A zombie rpg? I guess most character interaction will take place between survivors only.

What I dislike about Bloodlines leveling scheme is that it makes it very rewarding to just hold back your advancement until you really really need it.

It's strange really, but I guess no different than holding off rogues level ups in NWN until you meet a lock DC you can't beat with tools.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Duke Nukem Forever was supposed to be released "when it's done".
That was a lie.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Trash said:
This and AOD are the only rpg's I'm looking forward to. There is absolutely nothing else that even seems to come close to the kind of rpg's I loved back in the day.
knights of the second chalice?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Unfortunately, due to the amount of dialogue in the game and the game’s budget, there’s no way we could afford full VO

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for not pissing away money on a useless feature such as this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom