Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Garriott is Open to Ultima

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Electronic Arts; Richard Garriott

<p>RPG playboy/astronaut <strong>Richard Garriot</strong> let IndustryGamers know that he's <a href="http://www.industrygamers.com/news/richard-garriott-would-like-to-collaborate-on-more-ultima-with-ea/" target="_blank">up for a new Ultima</a> but EA is cool on the idea, at least with him.</p>
<blockquote>IndustryGamers asked Garriott if he could still collaborate with EA.&nbsp; "We would be open to that. In fact, we&rsquo;ve had some discussions at what I&rsquo;ll call very high levels, but the individuals who are currently shepherding the property don&rsquo;t seem to be particularly interested in that, so we&rsquo;ll see," he replied. "Who knows? You never know what&rsquo;s going to happen in the future... the doors always open if they were ever interested."</blockquote>
<p><br /><em>Thanks to Mortmal for pointing this out</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-02-garriott-open-to-working-on-new-ultima">Eurogamer</a></p>

mondblut

Arcane
There is some spark of good in everyone, even EA.

I shudder to think what kind of pus-oozing abomination would "Ultima 10" of 2011 be. It would make us all shed a nostalgic tear for Ultima 9.

Why didn't they leave him drifting on the orbit, anyway?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
In computer Magazines of the early 90s they kept saying that Garriot was planning Ultima X to be the "ultimate" experience (whatever that was supposed to mean). How strange it would have been had someone come back with a time time machine and tell everyone what has become of Garriot and Ultima now.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought they always accepted that IX would be the last. It's hard to imagine anyone creating anything worse than that with the Ultima name on it, but I think if EA were given the chance, they'd manage it.

Imagine Ascension but with dialog wheels, where you can have a gay threesome with Iolo and Shamino. The interwebs would be full of gossip about who is going to play the next female Avatar, and piles of hateful blog entries about how the gargoyles' funny way of speaking is "culturally insensitive"

Ah, the joys of modern gaming, it's heavan.

Mortmal

Arcane
Burning Bridges said:
In computer Magazines of the early 90s they kept saying that Garriot was planning Ultima X to be the "ultimate" experience (whatever that was supposed to mean). How strange it would have been had someone come back with a time time machine and tell everyone what has become of Garriot and Ultima now.

It was planned to be in virtual reality, i remember it was written in the paper magazine, and frankly after playing ulitma underwolrd and ultima 7 i was really believing it would happen and games would only improve. Sadly that was the end, the paper magazine i was reading (tilt) dont exist anymore, games diddnt improve , we consider ourselves very happy if we get somthing half as good as those games.
I am just praying he dont make another facebook game out of it...

Andhaira

Arcane
Great news. At least one party is open to making another Ultima.

However, I have a more important question: Gariott was able to spend millions upon millions of dollars to go up into space. Obviously, he is loaded. So, why doesn't he just buy the Ultima license from EA and make the game the way he see's fit? That way he can also keep all the profits the game is sure to make.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Is he open to my dick as well

Anyway, great news. I'm very excited about dual weilding in elders scrolls 5 skyrom

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
As much as I'd love to see new, up-to-date titles set in world of Ultima, I think that will stay a dream pretty much forever.

I favour this proposal. It is bound to generate at least as much lulz as DA2 on the codex forums.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
AndhairaX said:
However, I have a more important question: Gariott was able to spend millions upon millions of dollars to go up into space. Obviously, he is loaded. So, why doesn't he just buy the Ultima license from EA and make the game the way he see's fit? That way he can also keep all the profits the game is sure to make.
Because that would be very risky. Why should a millionaire risk everything for a game?

Sordid Jester

Educated
Burning Bridges said:
AndhairaX said:
Because that would be very risky. Why should a millionaire risk everything for a game?
Not like throwing money at the sky and screaming "TAKE ME TO THE STARS, I AM ONE OF THEM.". That's a sound investment.

Phelot

Arcane
Mighty Mouse said:
I want to be in the next Ultima!

npc52.gif

You'll be romanceable.

Clockwork Knight said:
Burning Bridges said:

I don't think the licence would cost that much...

Its got history, more then enough to cost a shit ton. EA is sitting on the name until the time where they can paste it onto a generic shooter and make the next Fallout 3.

Baron

Arcane
Ultima X : iPhone side scroller, little avatar jumping headlesses and collecting mantra powerups.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It will be called Ultima. Just 'Ultima'.
Released on PC and next generation consoles X360 and PS3

The game will begin with dragons destroying the fuck out of Britannia with the whole Lord British's army being helpless. So you will be killing the dragons with your Epic Sword of Epic that you get wth Epic DLC coming with Ultima Epic Pre-Order Edition. Obviously to kill the dragon you will have to play QTE. Your health regens but dragon's isn't. After you kill all the dragons you will get the "Epic Dragon Slayer" achievement and that's where the tutorial section ends.

This shit dragons pulled will not stand so in chapter 1 you will have your revenge by grinding dragons until you reach LVL10 and unlock chapter 2.

If you will kill at least 100 dragons - the side quest where you kill Dragon King and all of his dragons becomes available to you.

Satan

Educated
A new Ultima would be very interesting, even if it was a bad game, it still would be interesting to see the communities of both old rpg players and new ones and how the game would sell, how would it look today and what devs would say.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Skyway gets it. Although I still say it will have that gay threesome to appeal to the widest audience possible. No buttsex = no buy. The Steam version of the Epic Pre-Order Digital Deluxe Mega Collector's of the Year edition will also need to come with at least 3 TF2 hats.

The final boss battle will not be available at launch, except to those who buy the Steam Epic Pre-Order Digital Deluxe Mega Collector's of the Year edition for $79.99, or else you will have to buy the "Guardian of Ass-kicking" DLC at $15.99

Always-online DRM will be used, and any modding of the game will result in your EA account being End-of-Line'd. But only to protect the customer of course.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ultima, however, is now long closed to Garriott.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom