Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News AIAS hands out 2004 awards

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Neverwinter Nights

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/01/news_6117727.html>reports</a> that <a href=http://www.interactive.org/>The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences</a> has finally handed out the awards, proving beyond the reasonable doubt that they should not be taken seriously. They get VD's "Full of Shit" stamp of approval.
<br>
<br>
Anyway, the results:
<br>
<br>
Half-Life 2 got Game of the Year, PC Game of the Year, Innovative PC Game of the Year, Outstanding Achievements in Art, Animation, Gameplay Engineering, Visual Engineering, and First Person Action Game of the Year.
<br>
<br>
RPG of the Year is ... Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker (BioWare/BioWare)!!! The runner up is Bloodlines.
<br>
Looks like <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6282&start=0>Saint was right</a>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>BonsaiBuick</b>
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
HAHAHA! HAHAHA! HAHAHA!

That is why Troika seems to be struggl;iing tos ruvive, and Bioware is riding high.

Troika's full fledge game cna't even beat out BIO's 4-6 hour module to a 2 year+ game.

HAHAHA! HAHAHA!

P.S. I'd have vote for BL as I haven't even played the mod yet nor will I any time soon.

Surlent

Liturgist
Ahh, VD's "Full of Shit" stamp of approval, hallmark of quality shit quaranteed.

How can these ppl call themselves Academy of Science ???

btw Vol, that's your first avatar ??

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nah, some retarded moderator is being funny again and forced it on me. I simply haven't bothered to remove it yet. Let them have some for now.

xemous

Arcane
How can HL2 win visiual and animation 'engineering'. Doom3 should have won those, I smell some fanboys and/or payouts.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
HL2 had practical and dynamic use of physics, for starters. Doom 3 had spiders with babies for heads. And a flashlight.

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
HL2 had practical and dynamic use of physics, for starters. Doom 3 had spiders with babies for heads. And a flashlight.

That still doesn't explain why doom (a better looking game) missed out on animation and art. Also it ran a lot smoother than HL.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Doom 3 should have won some of those. It has a much more advanced rendering engine than HL2. It is the only game with a unified lighting system; not even Unreal Engine 3 is going to have that. The collision detection as well is superb. It is per pixel, which once again, can't be said for the competitors. Then there is the fact, that it uses inverse kinematics to ensure the animations are smooth no matter what surface a character is walking on. The list goes on; anyway Doom 3 shouldn't have be discarded so quickly.

Also, HL2 licensed their physics engine; if anyone should get credit for it, it's Havok. They did put it to good use with the gravity gun, but that's under gameplay. Oh, well...

Fez

Erudite
Like a lot of these award shows, politics comes into it.

Loof

Novice
It didn't run smoother than HL. Not on an ATI card. Doom is totally gimped on ATI.
If I'm not misinformed that isn't realy the games fault, ATI has bad preformance on al OpenGL games, don't know if its a driver issue or a hardware issue though...

xemous

Arcane
Exitium said:
It didn't run smoother than HL. Not on an ATI card. Doom is totally gimped on ATI.

ran smooth on my r300.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
Yeah, it doesn't hurt when you check out the board of directors of the AIAS. Two from Atari, which publish NWN, and Doctor Ray from BioWare.

LOL - no wonder Troika are going down - not only is Timmy not on the AIAS board of directors (while someone from Stormfront is - WTF?), but there's not even anyone from Activision there to pimp Bloodlines.

Still, at least Rome:TW won best strategy title. :D

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Just something funny Taluntain pointed out to me from this link:

• Dan Whiteside - Designer

Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker wins RPG of the Year!

I'm allergic to M&M's, so I'll take Allsorts, but not the Blue and Black man-shaped ones. If you could just pick those out for me Jay and then bring the bowl to my office? Thanks.
    Well, first off I would like to thank God and the Academy...
    I needed a pick me up, so I'm in a happy place right now. I'm sure large numbers of the forumites and RPGCodex will quickly bring me down to earth. Ah well, I shall enjoy it while it lasts.

voodoo1man said:
Oh noes, Vampires: Bloodline didn't get teh gold!!!

Well, when your choices are a full blown game versus a module for a three year old game that only takes 4-6 hours to play, and you pick the module, something's fucked. No matter whether you liked or didn't like Bloodlines, it's rather silly to pit a full blown game versus a module for a very out of date game and then give the award for RPG of the Year to the module.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Biasness aside, if they didn't like BL; they didn't like BL. Really, it's not that a big deal. Well, it isn't anywhere but the Codex that is.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
voodoo1man said:
Oh noes, Vampires: Bloodline didn't get teh gold!!!

Well, when your choices are a full blown game versus a module for a three year old game that only takes 4-6 hours to play, and you pick the module, something's fucked. No matter whether you liked or didn't like Bloodlines, it's rather silly to pit a full blown game versus a module for a very out of date game and then give the award for RPG of the Year to the module.

I was merely pointing out that in the original press release the game was listed as "Vampires: Bloodline." It was pretty obvious they weren't going to give it the award when they didn't even know the game's name!

Spazmo

Erudite
Actually, they got the NWN module wrong as well. It's actually NWN: Kongmaker and it's a module where you play a young ape rising through the ranks of the Skull Island Monkey Knife Fight leagues before finally reaching the coveted mantle of King Kong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom