Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review BB reviews Panzer Corps

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
<p>Read my Panzer Corps review and find out why I love my Opel Blitz so much. </p>

Marobug

Good review, I think I might buy the game. I've been waiting for a good strategy game for a while and this caught my eye when it came out but I couldn't find good reviews so I skipped it.

spectre

Arcane
Review looks solid, unfortunately, it kinda confirmed my fears. I had my share of PG already (including the great many freeware stuff out there), and I would rather play something which actually expands on the concept.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good review. I like how you identified the desperate rush for objectives in every scenario, a situation which often requires a mixture of pure luck and correct unit placement and attack order in order to succeed and one bad roll that results in a foe with a strength of 1 somehow surviving and holding the objective can end up with you failing a major victory, a ridiculous yet all too familiar situation. Too many scenarios end up being puzzles with one 'correct' way of doing things and with no room for any errors.

I too have craved for a more measured experience. Sure you can play scenarios by themselves and treat them in a more methodical way, but it's not the same thing as taking a core group through a campaign.

Burning Bridges

Marobug said:
Good review, I think I might buy the game. I've been waiting for a good strategy game for a while and this caught my eye when it came out but I couldn't find good reviews so I skipped it.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24828
good reviews

MetalCraze said:
Why can't people clone a good old game that is actually complex?
this is a piece of solid workmanship. Perhaps some one should send a copy to shitcomposer, to show them how you remake a game.
(I thought you were a big JA2 fan, but did you just dis PG?)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes I'm a big JA2 fan, but I dis people constantly cloning a wargame that isn't even the best one out there.

Now if someone actually did something like Steel Panthers again :M

Burning Bridges

I think you're getting on the wrong track again. There's nothing wrong with remaking PG. Essentially this is an almost perfect remake of a great game - stay clear if you wanted something more original. Now if someone redid JA / JA2 / XCOM / Steel Panthers etc in the same style we could both be very happy campers.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
5640 said:
<strong>[ Review ]</strong><br /><br /><p>Read my Panzer Corps review and find out why I love my Opel Blitz so much. </p><br/><br/><strong>Read: </strong><a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=73">BB reviews Panzer Corps</a>

out of curiosity, do the Unit sprites only face left and right?

Burning Bridges

Yes, exactly like in Panzer General.
In Panzer General II they introduced a new isometric perspective, but it made things worse, not better. I still prefer the plain old 2D.

You can watch gameplay yourself in this 20 minutes video AAR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cde0xufdi3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ0R07OvitU
but the game is not nearly as hectic as it looks here, the guy has just maxed out animation speed. Also his tactics suck imo.

Burning Bridges said:
Also his tactics suck imo.
Says the dude who found the 88 useful in the campaign.

By the way, the review left out that there are defense scenarios where you get 20 turns to hold like 4 cities in Italy for example. Or Bagration where the huge russian force pathetically tries to cross a river with 15 King Tigers waiting on the other side and JU87G flying over their heads.

Also it left out the good implementation of server-sided 'pbem' multiplayer which is hosted by Slitherine.

Game is too easy too, way too much Prestige. One scenario was kinda hard for me, Moscow in all its variations, mostly because of the random weather and limited core army, maybe also because I never bought elites for close combat units, only for artillery and stukas. Had to restart 3 times to get a Decisive Victory.

The randomness factor is huge too. Predicted 0-4 for you? Lol, fuck off, 3-1 for the enemy on the river! Thats my biggest gripe with the game alongside with the typical unpredictable enemy force distribution on the map. 'Field Marshal' could be harder too.

Burning Bridges

Black Bart Charley said:
The randomness factor is huge too. Predicted 0-4 for you? Lol, fuck off, 3-1 for the enemy on the river! Thats my biggest gripe with the game alongside with the typical unpredictable enemy force distribution on the map.

Typical unpredictable enemy force distribution? What would you prefer, predictable enemy force distribution?

I have also never, ever seen 3-1 instead of 0-4 if the enemy is on a river. Such things only happen if you oversee an artillery unit in the fog of war.

If you played PG you should already know what you're doing - the estimates are mostly for learning the game, not for giving you the exact results. I remember playing against a guy wo was trying out virtually any combination until he was satisfied with the predicted outcome (obviously he preferred this to figuring out how the game worked). After a while, when his turns took like 1-2h, it was getting on my nerves. He also threw a tantrum every time the actual result was below the estimate.

Correct is that the dice rolls in the new game are more extreme than in PG, which sometimes leads to strange results. The topic of dice rolls was mentioned in their forum, probably they take notice.

Burning Bridges

Not really. In PG there was Tunisia. In PGII there were many. I think they were just not that much fun.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
Lol at the moron who waltzes in to say how his pirated 'trial' version is bad, mkay, and how he aint gonna buy the 'full' version if the rare, freak roll happens. :lol:

Lightknight

Liturgist
On the plus side there are now pretty explosions and other animated effects.
What animated effects ? PG had animated effects, this one doesnt.

a few dubious interface decisions
Yeeeeah, like how its impossible in 2011 to have a unit list that will tell you which units have moved. Its like the guy played PG for the last 15 years, and havent seen any other TBS ever.

It is however an ideal recommendation to those who are new to the series, and can approach it like a completely new game.
No. Some mechanics are so obscure - they arent mentioned ANYWHERE, neither in the manual, or in the game "library" (which is strangely barren anyway), or the tooltips. Thus, ONLY PG veterans would know what the hell does a pioneer unit do, and why it costs more than ordinary infantry despite lower stats. The game doesnt want you to know. I had to scour the net for PG FAQs to learn that. Again, its like the guy played PG exclusively for the last 15 years non-stop. What a WW2 nerd he must be...

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Panzer Corps is good game, only nitpick I have is lack of C&C and named divisions. Number of tank formations was too large in my opinion too, in battles were ze Germans had one batalion of tigers there atleast 2 regiments of them... but PG was always more about fun than historical accuracy. On the other hand People who whine about time limits don't know what Blitzkrieg was about, it is all about getting the panzers rolling and taking objectives quickly not slaughter of all enemy units.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom