Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review KOTOR II review extravaganza

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

We have <s>a truckload of KOTOR 2 reviews</s> an exciting event where game reviewers would compete against each other trying to unravel the mystary of KOTOR 2 combat and impress our readers with RPG-related knowledge:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><a href=http://www.advanced-gamer.net/index.php?view=article&article=169&p=1>Advanced Gamer</a>:
<br>
The engine itself is one-half character interaction and 1/2 RPG
<br>
<br>
However, there is one flaw in this. While Obsidian does a good job of branching the dialog options out, <u>there is little you can do to reverse the affects one you do them</u>. In the original, you are given multiple options on how you want to behave and what you want to say, usually light or dark. However, there are a few important places where you get backed into a corner when you get into a important conflict. For example, on one of the planets, you must choose one of the two dominant political parties in the game. However, once you choose one of them, that is it. <u>If you choose the wrong one</u> (Like I did), you will be confronted by a important character in which you cannot do anything but fight </blockquote><blockquote><a href=http://www.gamenikki.com/Pages/Reviews/Xbox/StarWarsKnightsoftheOldRepublicIITheSithLords/>Gamenikki</a>:
<br>
KotOR II is, like its predecessor, a turn-based/real-time action/RPG. <u>Which is to say that in the grand tradition of turn-based RPGs, you don't actually DO much of anything in combat</u>, but if you prefer your gaming experiences to be cinematic, you can let everything unfold in real time. </blockquote><blockquote><a href=http://www.bonusstage.com/art1969.html>BonusStage</a>
<br>
Combat is once again turn-based...</blockquote><blockquote><a href=http://www.smashgames.com/reviews/review.cfm?ID=84>SmashGames</a>
<br>
Combat is semi-turn based, and basically boils down to your stats versus those of the enemy.</blockquote><blockquote><a href=http://www.armchairempire.com/Reviews/XBox/knights-old-republic-2.htm>Armchair Empire</a>
<br>
The character creation system in KotOR II lacks. ... No separate options for skin colour, and hair colour. Not even the ability to pick face and hair separately. Any roleplaying game that has come out since Morrowind and has this little character customization in it should have shame heaped upon said system
<br>
<br>
The combat system is the same fare as last time as well, but for those who don’t know I’ll go over it. KotOR II utilizes a combination turn-based/realtime system, where you input commands and then on your characters turn they’ll execute them.</blockquote>
<br>
And these are the people who are expected to have a clue...
<br>
<br>
<br>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Which is to say that in the grand tradition of turn-based RPGs, you don't actually DO much of anything in combat

Can I kill this person? He makes my head hurt.
cry.gif

Sotka

Novice
I like 'turn-based/real-time action/RPG'. Indeed it is.

dunduks

Liturgist
WTF are they smokin' and more importantly where can i get some of that stuff?? This is just getting ridiculous - they are bashing the things they *liked* so much in previous one :?

Reklar

Liturgist
Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Why don't those l33t kiddie hax0rz ever take down these sites instead of the Codex? They could be heroes if they'd only choose the right websites. :?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Sol Invictus

Erudite
GameNikki is by and far the dumbest of the lot. Do they win a prize?

After some checking I have discovered that there is nobody by the name of Nikki who works at GameNikki.

Chris Dave Josh Jason Jon Jared James
Color me dissapointed.

callehe

Liturgist
No separate options for skin colour, and hair colour. Not even the ability to pick face and hair separately. Any roleplaying game that has come out since Morrowind and has this little character customization in it should have shame heaped upon said system

riight. The way the PC looks is just the most important thing in an RPG :roll:

tnanh

Novice
It's probably not the most important thing in RPG for most of us, but it'll be nice to have that, no? I don't see what's the stupid thing in this quote. He doesn't claim that it's the most important thing.

Vault Dweller

Developer
He didn't say "that would have been nice to have". Instead he stated that the character creation system lacks and that any RPG since MW should have that. That's the stupid part.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"That's the stupid part."

No. The stupid part is the post above mine. It's not stupid to have things you like or prefer in a game. Dumbass.

Then again, anyone who doesn't see things EXACTLY the 'Codex' way is stupid.

R00fles!

taks

Liturgist
tnanh said:
It's probably not the most important thing in RPG for most of us, but it'll be nice to have that, no?
no. kinda moot once you put a hat or helmet on.

I don't see what's the stupid thing in this quote. He doesn't claim that it's the most important thing.
uhhhh...

damn. these guys are smokin' dope. must be dirt weed, too, since it certainly hasn't added any enlightenment to their ability to assess... my favorite is this (bold is mine):

If you choose the wrong one (Like I did), you will be confronted by a important character in which you cannot do anything but fight (Which impacts the story later on).
?????? i, uh, i.... uhhh... speechless. isn't "impact" on the latter part of the story the number one feature lacking in most crpgs today????

damn.

taks

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"That's the stupid part."

No. The stupid part is the post above mine. It's not stupid to have things you like or prefer in a game. Dumbass.
Whoa! I sense disturbance in the Force. And some anger issues. And some reading comprehension disabilities. Where do I start?

It's not stupid to have things you like and prefer, but it's stupid to say that a relatively meaningless feature is a must and criticize the entire char creation system because it doesn't offer that.

Then again, anyone who doesn't see things EXACTLY the 'Codex' way is stupid.
No, people who say stupid things are stupid (such as yourself).:wink:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but it's stupid to say that a relatively meaningless feature is a must and criticize the entire char creation system because it doesn't offer that"

Relatively meaningless to YOU (and to me). That doesn't make it stupid... unless, like I said, you are one of those types who think sif some like sor rpefers soemthing you don't automatically makes them stupid.

"No, people who say stupid things are stupid (such as yourself)."

So, you admit everyone of the 'Codex is stupid?

R00fles!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom