Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The History of Wing Commander: Part One

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Origin Systems

<p>[General Gaming]</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>G4TV managed to catch up with Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts. The result is an <a href="http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/715219/the-history-of-wing-commander-part-one/" target="_blank">article on the history of Wing Commander</a> spiced up with interview bits.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Wing Commander also had branching mission paths. A string of victories would lead to a victorious strike on a Kilrathi starbase at the end of the game, and continuing losses would end with the Tiger&rsquo;s Claw running for her life out of the battle zone. &ldquo;I just thought it was very important&hellip;[that] you felt like your actions had some impact on the story. You weren&rsquo;t just on a predetermined path that was only one way,&rdquo; Roberts said. &ldquo;It wasn&rsquo;t about a high score. It was completely about how you played and flew would affect the storyline, and my theory was that would give you a natural level of immersion into the world.&rdquo;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>edit: <a href="http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/715337/the-history-of-wing-commander-part-two/" target="_blank">Here's part II.</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Newsitem brought to you by Exmit.</em></p>

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
General gaming news, sure, why not? It's not like we're a site that specializes on RPGs or anything.

Phelot

Arcane
Well, I do appreciate the article. WC is one of my favorite games and one of the first games I ever played.

It is funny reading these retrospectives and hearing today's buzzwords like "Immersion" being applied to older games. Pretty weird.

EDIT: BTW the mission briefing music is still one of the coolest songs ever!

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
The article and part II really shows the decline of Origin after EA took over. WC was an excellent series and was my second favorite space flight sim franchise with only X-Wing doing it better. Gaming lost a lot when this genre disappeared.

Morkar Left

phelot said:
It is funny reading these retrospectives and hearing today's buzzwords like "Immersion" being applied to older games. Pretty weird.

That was at a time when words like "Immersion" weren't perverted and were connected with gameplay. He wanted to achieve this immersion by c&c and not just cutscenes, animations, less thinking and easier difficulty.

Exmit

Scholar
Wing commander 1+2+3+4 are still one of the best sims even today.
Currently replaying 1 and 2.

I'm hoping for a reboot of the series with Chris Roberts at the helm.

Morkar Left

Andyman Messiah said:
I'll take the reboot but Chris "George Lucas" Roberts can drop dead.

The reboot would be like a linear Freelancer including mouse/joypad-control (no joystick) and 3rd-person only. Enjoy your reboot :lol:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The only thing I remember about Wing Commander are those horrible cheesey cutscenes with real actors.

And all the hype in magazines when it came out.

Drakron

Arcane
Country_Gravy said:
The article and part II really shows the decline of Origin after EA took over.

And that is were you are mostly wrong, III and IV were done under EA and they were great ... of course IV was great because in order to get rid of him they pretty much allowed him free reign over it.

Prophecy was ... well, not very good.

asper said:
The only thing I remember about Wing Commander are those horrible cheesey cutscenes with real actors.

And all the hype in magazines when it came out.

You sir, are a idiot.

WC had a B cast and as III did had blue screen set, IV had a SET (that is one of the reasons why it cost so much). Not to say only III-IV-P had FMV, I-II had the old "talking heads" sprites.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
General gaming news, sure, why not? It's not like we're a site that specializes on RPGs or anything.

When was the last time you saw a newspost about some RPG on the Codex?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Played 1 and 2 into the ground. Never got around to playing 3, 4, 5+ whatever. Maybe GOG will put out some convenient package.

Exmit

Scholar
BREAKING BREAKINNNNNNNNGG !!!!!!!

LORD BRITISH +CHRIS MAVERICK BLAIR ROBERTS MAKING A NEW WING COMMANDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7 ... s-roberts/

“I’m looking at the games being made now and I go ‘Yeah, they’re really cool, and there’s some really great stuff,’but I think I could come back and push the boundaries of cinematic storytelling again.

Chris Roberts is ready to come back to gaming and he wants to do a new Wing Commander! Let's get this in production, EA! .........Just yesterday we spoke to Richard Garriott, who praised Chris Roberts' ability to simply sit down and envision an amazing game

back-on-the-flight-deck-an-interview-with-wing-commanders-chris-roberts.jpg

+

richardgarriott.jpg

======== ????

I feel re-energized, and I think I can come back…and push forward parts of the industry in terms of narrative and cinematic storytelling.”

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :yeah:

Exmit

Scholar
FFFFFFFUUUUUUYEAAAAAAAAAA IM COMMING BUCKETS OF KILRATHI TEARZ, MANLY KILRATHI TEARZ HAVE BEEN SHRED.

made

Arcane
I guess Hollywood didn't appreciate Roberts' genius so he decided to return to a more forgiving audience.

GreyViper

Prophet
Yeah noticed that Roberts wants to do a comeback, but does EA really want him back? Guess we will see how that turns out would be ironic if the result would be another Arena POS.
On the more interesting side related to WC I found few pics about alternate start intro of Privateer featuring a Galaxy and Demons.
PRIVSIDE6.png
and a nice 3D Gothri
PRIVSIDE5.png

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jesus.

I am lowering my bunker hydraulic door now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom