Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Diablo III's Five Character Classes

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

<p>IGN provide a couple of videos explaining Diablo III's 5 character classes. <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1186681p1.html" target="_blank">One video for each class</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>IGN recently sat down with Diablo III's game director, Jay Wilson, who took us through the strengths and weaknesses of each of the five different character classes in Blizzard's upcoming epic. Rather than hit you with the full 10 minute video, we've broken it up into five separate chunks - each focusing on one of the classes. Enjoy!</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#17873">RPGWatch</a></p>

Sordid Jester

Educated
Too bad the product is one I can never bring myself to support, the Witch Doctor looks marginally fun enough to go through the game with. lolwizardlazzzzzerbeams

Uh. Uhm. Uh. Uh. Uhm. Uh. Uhm. Uh. Uhm. Flamebats. Uh. Uhm. Uh. It's like a flamethrower. Uhm. Uhm. Uh. With bats in it. Uhm. Because it's. Uhm. Co-uhm-ool.

Micmu

Magister
Ooh, they want MUCH more than that. They want you to buy loot, even for single player (as if there's a distinction between SP/MP now - SP is multiplayer game with one player)...
Fuck them and fuck bobby

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't mind the always online policy. And I don't mind the auction house (as long as it doesn't make coop completely unplayable).

It's just that the game looks like shit.

60 EUR for something that looks like a 2004 game on a technical level is something I can condone for a Blizzard game, but 60 EUR for something that doesn't resemble or feel like the old gothic style Diablo games one bit is utterly unacceptable.

And don't even get me started about the shit soundtrack!

:x

Victor Dosev

Novice
60 EUR for something that looks like a 2004 game on a technical level
- by the time starcraft and warcraft 3 as released there already was games with technically superior graphical engine. Same could be told about World of Warcraft. Yet those games remain one of the most stunningly beautiful things to grace our computers.

And no, I don't even like Blizzard.

A game does not need to have high poly-count to be beautiful, that's why there's an "abstraction" in art and that's perceived as something good. It's all about stylization and diablo 3 looks nice.

Though, I too, miss the old diablo 2 graphic style.

Victor Dosev

Novice
60 EUR for something that looks like a 2004 game on a technical level
- by the time starcraft and warcraft 3 were released there already was games with technically superior graphical engine. Same could be told about World of Warcraft. Yet those games remain one of the most stunningly beautiful things to grace our computers.

And no, I don't even like Blizzard.

A game does not need to have high poly-count to be beautiful, that's why there's an "abstraction" in art and that's perceived as something good. It's all about stylization and diablo 3 looks nice.

Victor Dosev

Novice
I don't criticize you. In fact I only use your statement as the basis point for my observation.

Also, the second part of your sentence does not invalidate the statement in your first part.

So next time before you get offended for nothing grow some self-esteem.

ortucis

Prophet
No one ever talks about the types of enemies a player will face because all player classes will battle same generic shit they have been battling for ages in every other RPG out there (onyl with different models).

Raapys

Arcane
Warcraft 3 looked crappy, WoW looked crappy, SC2 looked crappy and D3 looks crappy.

Diablo 1, fuck yeah.

baronjohn

Cipher
The only decent Blizzard game was The Lost Vikings, the rest are all total shit from on all levels, technical, gameplay and art.

Miew

Novice
In a way, Warcraft 2 was Blizzards prettiest game. Maybe even Lost Vikings, if you consider that to be a Blizzard game. Imagine D3 with hand drawn sprites in a D1 or D2 kinda realistic way, instead of the cartooniness that is WoW. I guess cartooniness was necessary for WC2 because of the low resolution and small sprites, and it has its merits because it reads very well... but with resolutions nowadays they could go for some semi realistic style just as well.

How is D3 anything more than just a clone of its predecessor, just like Dungeon Siege, Torchlight and all those other games? I think with delicious hand drawn sprites they could at least stand out on a visual level. Of course they don't need that, because it's Blizzard and Diablo and the attention is huge anyways.

But I guess it's going to be another 10 years until technical development progresses and slows down enough that people will again start considering other art styles for their games. Right now it's still like "2D is ooold and for indies who can't afford a decent 3D engine!"

Edit:
Comparing the D3 footage with some D2 stuff, it really makes me wonder why they even went 3D with this one. They use none of what 3D usually has to offer. Look at the shadows in D2: They're just basic drop shadows, obviously, because it's hard to do anything else with sprite based graphics. Now look at D3: Just basic drop shadows, what the hell? I don't even think I need to explain this any further...

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Victor Dosev said:

What?

The real great gothic graphic style is diablo, not diablo 2.

Diablo 2 is already a real step down.

:decline:

attackfighter

Magister
Since I can't watch the videos due to it asking me for my birthdate and me not wanting to enter it in, I will just have to assume that the game still looks like shit.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
attackfighter said:
Since I can't watch the videos due to it asking me for my birthdate and me not wanting to enter it in, I will just have to assume that the game still looks like shit.

They showed me an advert for another game, then asked for my birth date, and when I entered my birth date, the video didn't play. These people are pros. :bravo:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom