Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Piranha Bytes Interview on Risen 2: Dark Waters

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

<p>Most of you probably know that Piranha Bytes' next game <strong>Risen 2: Dark Waters</strong> is scheduled for release later this year (for October to be precise). I would have loved to do an interview with them but unfortunately I'm too busy. Therefor I've sent my best agent old man Vault Dweller to ask them some questions. Here's a snippet:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>2. What lessons have you learned from Risen? Lessons that could be translated into meaningful gameplay improvements?</strong></p>
<p><br />As always we collected all the feedback from our fans and the press before we started to design Risen 2. One of the main critic points was the way the story was told in Risen 1. The beginning of the game seemed overwhelmingly complex for beginners because of all the freedom, and the fourth chapter was too thin story-wise.</p>
<p><br />To tackle these problems we applied a technique we call the &ldquo;pearl principle&rdquo;. We changed the game structure in a way that the game starts with a small world that becomes bigger and more open the longer you play. The story is like a string of pearls that is split up at certain points, but comes back together again at a later point. Through that we make sure that there won&rsquo;t be a very thin last chapter again.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=235" target="_blank">Read the whole interview here.</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Improving the end of the game sounds good, but one of the cool things about Risen was how it was up to you to figure out what was going on at the start.
Both :decline: and :incline: at once. :/

meh

Educated
At many points in the game the player has to make decisions that will influence the rest of the game. We already unveiled the fact that the player will have a crew on his boat. So dependent on what decisions the player makes and which paths he chooses to take other crew members will be available to him in his missions, altering even cut-scenes and other events. That’s one example of many.
Sounds familiar ;)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Absolutely nothing new has been mentioned here.

*shrug*, move along.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Darth Roxor said:
Absolutely nothing new has been mentioned here.

*shrug*, move along.

But I don't think the questions are to blame. I don't know yet what my favorite answer is, currently I'm torn between "we've spent all the extra bucks on graphics" and "we've improved the combat system by adding more animations".

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Sounds more like they are implementing the anal bead strategy where by the time the game is completed you realize that it is covered in shit.

Regdar

Arcane
The beginning of the game seemed overwhelmingly complex for beginners because of all the freedom

What a waste of what would otherwise be a perfectly great game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree with them.
The beginning really was too complex for a large part of their audience.

I really don't mind a game that starts small and gets bigger and bigger over time., though for me (and most here, I guess) this step would not have been neccessary.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Gordon Freeman said:
Looks like a nice game. Too bad I will be unable to buy it, due to it's Steam requirement.
If you get it from the bay of pirates then you won't have to endure that fascist DRM system bro.

curry

Arcane
Lets hope they're not gonna dumb it down. :roll:

Really, PB is the last good RPG game studio still around. All the others are now making bubblegum garbage.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
No need for radical improvements here. They should stick with their old recipe and give us more of the same. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
thesheeep said:
I agree with them.
The beginning really was too complex for a large part of their audience.
In what ways? The island was fairly small (compared to the Gothic games). The path from the beach to the cabin was very linear, and then you either go to the town or to the camp and start doing missions, eventually deciding which faction you like the most.

I don't see anything too complex about it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Well, you could walk up the beach, or down the beach, or you could pick up a shell, or a stick, you could talk to the girl, you could just stand there, you could turn your computer off...

Micmu

Magister
The beginning of the game seemed overwhelmingly complex for beginners because of all the freedom
There goes another one. :salute:
Yes, apparently you CAN dumb down an already very simple but nice action adventure, too...
Time to bring out the corridors/radar screens, then?
the game starts with a small world that becomes bigger and more open the longer you play
So, exactly like any other action game of similar type, then. Thanks but no thanks.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Why do you hate Freedom, Piranha

:decline:

Vault Dweller said:
In what ways? The island was fairly small (compared to the Gothic games). The path from the beach to the cabin was very linear, and then you either go to the town or to the camp and start doing missions, eventually deciding which faction you like the most.

I don't see anything too complex about it.

Deciding which faction you like on a relatively open map is too complex.

In TW2 the map is linear and you can't decide which faction you like - and it was a smash hit.

The simple truth is - now action-adventure genre (or RPG in Codex speak) is for imbeciles

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Volrath said:
Gordon Freeman said:
Looks like a nice game. Too bad I will be unable to buy it, due to it's Steam requirement.
If you get it from the bay of pirates then you won't have to endure that fascist DRM system bro.
I know, I know.
But Gothic 2 NOTR have been the best game I have ever played.
It just pains me, that I have no other choice but to pirate them.
Just give me the most nazi DRM scheme you can think of, be it secu-rom or starforce. I can endure it for PB.
But not Steam. I'd rather cut off my testis, then register an account on Steam.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gordon Freeman said:
But not Steam. I'd rather cut off my testis, then register an account on Steam.

So cut off your testis and then register an account on Steam?

FatCat

Educated
Risen was pretty boring game overall.Hope they will add something exiting and fresh.PB games almost always suffer from "fed-ex syndrome" tough.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crooked Bee said:
Overwhelmingly complex, the beginning of Risen? Oh for fuck's sake.

Yeah, it even warned you not to go through the cave, leaving ONE (1) path to the crossroads where the guy told you what was in each direction and even gave a basic map!

Fucking retards.
:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom