Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review KOTOR is the pinnacle of greatness in TB RPGs

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Yep, that's how the <a href=http://www.eglive.com/index.php?view=article&article=201>review</a> starts. You know you have something good when it starts like that. Anyway, this particular review is written by <a href=http://www.eglive.com>Entertainment Gaming Live</a> and, while whether or not KOTOR is the pinnacle of greatness is debatable, EGL is definitely the pinnacle of stupidity:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Gameplay:</b>
<br>
<br>
This is where KOTOR shines. <b>The turn based combat is like no other and is done in real time.</b> It is quick, and the variety is immense. Combat is so quick you may have to pause the game to get your barrings and plan out your next move. You can que attacks up to 3 at a time so you can work on other team mates without having to worry about another character, this feature comes in handy, and goes well with the combat. At any point during combat you can switch weapons, to take up a turn, but it's worth it if you know what you're doing. There are basically 3 types of attacks (with much variety within), strong, weak (fast), and force (magic). Force attacks depend on what side of the Light or dark spectrum you are on. If you are an evil Jedi you can do seriously damaging attacks like choke, or force lightning. If you are a Light Jedi you can do more calm and healing techniques like Heal, and force push.
<br>
<br>
The enemy AI is fairly intelligent, but really isn't to incredibly smart. the main strength of your enemies is numbers. You are often faced with 5 or 6 guards at a time, sometimes with evil jedi's thrown in. After you get used to combat for awhile, the normal baddies will be no problem, only the Dark Jedis will concern you, because they have force powers, and are smarter than the average bad guy.
<br>
<br>
The gameplay outside of combat is awesome as well. Outside of combat you can set traps, or hack computers, to get rid of enemies in other rooms so that you aren't faced with combat. There are many worlds to explore, and all but one can be revisited whenever you wish. Your ship is esentially your base, you can fix or alter weapos there, switch out party members, travel to different worlds, or just talk to your party members, who all have special talents like making grenades for you, or finding something.
<br>
<br>
So all in all KOTOR's gameplay is incredible, if you like rpg's at all, you will love KOTOR. But don't expect to be able to fire your rifle at will, because combat is TURN BASED. Some of the pictures and screen shots you see may mislead you into thinking that that the combat is fully interactive like Dark Cloud, or Sudeki, but it's actually turn based like Final Fantasy.</blockquote>
<br>
Incredible! The style reminds me of <a href=http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/>JeffK</a>, only this guy is for real.
<br>
<br>
<br>

<br>

Fresh

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Anyway, this particular review is written by <a href=http://www.eglive.com>Entertainment Gaming Live</a> and, while whether or not KOTOR is the pinnacle of greatness is debatable, EGL is definitely the pinnacle of stupidity

Haha. Like we didnt see that one coming.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Shhh.. Tellin' the Codex that what it posts may not be news tends to make them cry and fall down to whining about you whining them and editing your posts 'cause they are kewl.

You. Have. Been. Warned.

Fresh

Erudite
Volourn said:
Shhh.. Tellin' the Codex that what it posts may not be news tends to make them cry and fall down to whining about you whining them and editing your posts 'cause they are kewl.

You. Have. Been. Warned.

On the other hand Im not you Volo :) :wink:

Vault Dweller

Developer
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Hmm is it just me or is a KOTOR (1)-review from August 2004 not really "news"? :roll:

*bitchin*
I doubt that KOTOR review from Jan 2005 would qualify for news either, but I think we can agree that the entertainment value was priceless.

Fresh

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
!HyPeRbOy! said:
Hmm is it just me or is a KOTOR (1)-review from August 2004 not really "news"? :roll:

*bitchin*
I doubt that KOTOR review from Jan 2005 would qualify for news either, but I think we can agree that the entertainment value was priceless.

Agreed. I liked the comparison with JeffK.

suibhne

Erudite
It's not just entertainment or gaming - you can now get both in one dazzling domain name!

I think this was the funniest review I've read in, like, forever. But what do I know? I'm not a Dungeons and Dragons, after all.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know I told my roommate about this review, and he read that line, and he agrees that it is probably one of the dumbest things he's yet seen.

Reklar

Liturgist
I dunno, after reading this review I think I'll have to get my "barrings" again, cause it's certainly easy to get lost in this editing nightmare. I hope they fired the editor, and if there wasn't any editor to start with, I hope they fire the idiot who had the moron write the review. Better yet, just fire the whole lot of them and spare the world the stupidity. :lol: It's articles like these that make my signature all the more relevant. :)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
After you get used to combat for awhile, the normal baddies will be no problem, only the Dark Jedis will concern you, because they have force powers, and are smarter than the average bad guy.

I think this is my favorite line.

Vault Dweller

Developer
My favorite is the one Saint picked: "teh Dark Jedi r dangeras becuase tehy r smart and got powahz", but this line is pretty good too:

...party members, who all have special talents like making grenades for you, or finding something.
A very handy ability.

Fresh

Erudite
This passage is hardcore:
"the menu's can be tricky at first, and if you aren't a Dungeons and Dragons the stats won't make any sense to you at all. you will get accustomed to them after awhile."

EDIT: HAHA @ own post

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Holy mis spellings batman! (or something. Couldn't think of what Robon might say.) Jesus Christmas, golly this fucker does not check his work for shit now, does he?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
!HyPeRbOy! said:
This passage is hardcore:
"the menu's can be tricky at first, and if you aren't a Dungeons and Dragons the stats won't make any sense to you at all. you will get accustomed to them after awhile."

EDIT: HAHA @ own post

Yeah, because the whole Strength thing is so confusing. The stats are clearly labelled as to what they are, so what exactly is confusing?

suibhne

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Yeah, because the whole Strength thing is so confusing. The stats are clearly labelled as to what they are, so what exactly is confusing?

You, sir, are plainly a Dungeons and Dragons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom