Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Morrowind - GameSpy's CRPG of the Year

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

<A href="http://www.gamespy.com/">GameSpy</a> has named <A href="http://www.morrowind.com">Morrowind</a> as it's <A href="http://www.gamespy.com/goty2002/pc/index6.shtml">PC RPG of the Year</a>, which is nice because it was a pretty gosh darn neat game for what it was. Here's why:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>What really wins over fans of Morrowindis the depth of the game world. No two parts of the game map are alike, and every nook and cranny is populated by unique beasts or talkative NPCs. Although it takes place in a fantasy setting, this is no generic swords-elves-dragons-n'-dwarves deal. Morrowindhas its own unique culture, its own history, its own factions and politics, all supported by reams and reams of well-written in-game dialogue and texts. As you make your mark in the world you have to begin choosing sides with the argumentative locals. You feel that you're really a part of Morrowind, but even more than that, the world feels like a realplace. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Talkative NPCs is usually nice, but that dialogue browser format killed that feature for me.
<br>
<br>
Runners up were <A href="http://www.larian.com">Divine Divinity</a> and <a href="http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>.

Spazmo

Erudite
At least it's not Neverwinter Nights. I recently bought Morrowind and I'm debating whether or not I should actually finish it. I hate the dialog system and the whole world is a little to bewildering for me.

Mistress

Liturgist
Hooray! Although I pretty much assumed that the two main prizewinners would be NWN and Morrowind. At least Morrowind is deserving.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Hell yeah Morrowind deserves it. I for one have really managed in immersing myself with the game. It's pretty damn awesome how Morrowind has a deep set of politics going on in it.

I don't care much for the way the dialogue is handled, however. But quests are a thousand percent more manageable with Tribunal, which contains a ton of other good features which some new (and VERY necessary) user made mods utilize to make the original game + Tribunal a million times more enjoyable than the primary version.

Jed

Cipher
While Morrowind is definitely not a perfect CRPG (I would cite the tedious and wrist-destroying combat as the major drawback), I do think it is the best game of the last year or so, at least as far as the Majors go. What I do like about MW is what I find to be its intensely immersive qualities: beautiful and detailed environments, fleshed-out history, politics and factions, and its familiar, yet quirkily (is that a word?) unique setting.

Not a game I play often, but truly fun to dip back into from time to time.

Jed

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
XJEDX said:
While Morrowind is definitely not a perfect CRPG (I would cite the tedious and wrist-destroying combat as the major drawback), I do think it is the best game of the last year or so, at least as far as the Majors go. What I do like about MW is what I find to be its intensely immersive qualities: beautiful and detailed environments, fleshed-out history, politics and factions, and its familiar, yet quirkily (is that a word?) unique setting.

Not a game I play often, but truly fun to dip back into from time to time.

Jed

. Wow me too XJEDX .

Escesially since now i can playtest a nice mod made by some fans .

Apparently it allows for more correct anatomical observations of female characters in Morrowind .

That fans in Morrowind are so hmm creative :twisted:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, the mod community is really strong in Morrowind. For instance, a few of them have gone and made a bunch of AI improvements/tweaks with Tribunal's global settings, weapon and armor tweaks and even level balancing (takes 100 points to level up now, instead of 10) and monsters and enemies actually cast spells according to necessity now, instead of casting them according to how many points they cost.

Another nice thing is that even though Morrowind's days are 30 times faster than our normal 24 hour clock, you can set the timescale to regular 24 hour time (which is far too slow, really) by opening up the console with the tilde key "~" and typing "set timescale to one". My preference would have to be setting it to 10, which basically means that each real time hour lasts 1 morrowind day. It's pretty realistic like that. Running from Vivec to Balmora will take 18 hours or so of gametime in that setting, so it goes to prove the 'distance' between the towns.

There's also some mods that create female versions of all the armors in the game, a magazine called "The Modern Adventurer", Sound Effect Enhancements, and lots of other cool things. I really love it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom