Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Siege III Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>The Telegraph's prestigious [sarcasm check DC2] game reviewer Ashton Raze tackles Dungeon Siege III, and gives it a whopping 8/10, <a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8644768/Dungeon-Siege-III-review.html" target="_blank">singing its praises</a> under many different points of view.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Quests too are pretty standard fantasy fare. They're the usual 'find and return an item' or 'save a man from certain death'. And it works perfectly. Dungeon Siege III isn't a game about complex narrative, although the scripting is up to Obsidian's usual high standard. It's happy to languish in its western fantasy tropes, only occasionally throwing out something a little more unusual, but each time to great effect. There are key plot decisions scattered throughout, although these serve as little more than a fun distraction that alters the ending montage. The game may attempt a degree of morality narrative, but the focus here is really on trekking through numerous dungeons, thwacking beasts and collecting shiny new equipment. The novelty of seeing a chest spewing forth its glittering prizes never wears off. And, again unlike Hunted, the weapons and armour is so varied and numerous, with each piece having its own strengths and weaknesses, that changing things around regularly leads to some fun experimentation.</p>
<p>It's a game that offers few surprises then, but one that offers plenty of enjoyment. It has nowhere near the depth of Obsidian's last RPG, Fallout: New Vegas and in this case it suits. It offers the immediacy of other, perhaps cheaper dungeon crawlers while doing it with the style and substance afforded to a full priced game. It may not be the most memorable tale in the world, but the continued adventures of the 10th Legion are worth following if you're after a game to play with a friend - a game that'll make you think, but not too much.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Newsitem brought to you by Jools, who's not <span class="postbody">sure if it's news-worthy, but felt like pointing it out.</span></em></p>

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So in short, shitty quests, shitty story, shitty choices, no originality and very forgettable.

8/10

Usual high standards of modern gaming journalism

:thumbsup:

BelisariuS.F

Augur
M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E said:
8/10 is the new 5/10
W7Da5.png

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You forgot 15/100 reviewer hated it, but it's a rough gem.

Micmu

Magister
Why did you have to reply in this thread?
Nobody replied in "DS3 PC patch released" and it was so nice to see that nobody gives a shit for this garbage.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
micmu said:
Why did you have to reply in this thread?
Nobody replied in "DS3 PC patch released" and it was so nice to see that nobody gives a shit for this garbage.
Nobody gives a shit about the game being patched....but praising (or even reviewing) it causes massive :mob: As it should be. :obviously:

torpid

Liturgist
So the Telegraph has shit taste in games in addition to shit politics?

in b4 someone digs up a crappy Guardian review

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Quests too are pretty standard fantasy fare. They're the usual 'find and return an item' or 'save a man from certain death'. And it works perfectly."

L0L Reviewer must be an Obsidian fanboy.

Volourn said:
"Quests too are pretty standard fantasy fare. They're the usual 'find and return an item' or 'save a man from certain death'. And it works perfectly."

There was this thread at gamefaqs where a guy was laughed at when he said it's a shame the dragon battles in Skyrim wil most likely be just generic fights. People told him it was ok if every fight was the same, because they're dragons, and dragons aren't smart enough to do something other than swooping down and chomping you.

Cynic

Arcane
The game has positives and negatives sure. I'd give it between a 7 and an 8. It's a different game to the first DS games (which I never played, but have heard were apparently the pinnacle of ARPGs due to everyone slamming this as the game that made baby jebus cry), totally console focused and action oriented, but the combat system is very well designed. Each character is different and fun to play, and some boss fights are really quite challenging/rewarding.

There were a number of things Obsidian said they couldn't do, but once playing the game it became clear that they just chose not to for some inexplicable reason. Why can't I control other party members in single player mode? Why is the MP camera tethered so tightly? Why isn't there more unique loot items or companion specific quests? Why does the engine not allow for greater camera movement?

The story is bland, but the writing is actually quite good, Obsidian have done a good job at breathing some life into a very mundane crap fantasy setting just through the way they have written things. There were a number of occasions where we had to think about what answer we'd give in a dialogue, whether to kill certain people or let them go, and these were pretty good. It would have been better if there were branching quests due to these choices, but yeah.

All in all it's a fun game. But if you focus on the negatives it will get disappointing. I feel like there was the potential for something really great there, but it was just cut short, and in the end that left it feeling a bit hollow. Apparently it's selling poorly, which is a shame, because I would buy an expansion or DLC.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Cynic said:
The game has positives and negatives sure. I'd give it between a 7 and an 8.

I'm sorry that's just crazy and I'm more than forgiving when it comes to modern titles. Even viewing this as a single player campaign based ARPG it's no higher than a 5 at best. Deathspank is better, about the same length, and was sold for $15.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really guys? 7-8/10 and 7/10?

The writing is cheesy (bioware.social fanfiction-worthy), the voice acting is awkward, the gameplay absurdely dumbed down, the amount of skills and "powers" is ridiculously low, I finished the game using the basic attack only, the 3 classes are uninspired, the plot and the background world are vague at best, the characters (playable characters, companions, and NPC alike) are horribly bland and the game lasts 10 hours. Yes, you get a couple of C&C but they just feel "out of context" because the "context" itself, aka the plot, is stupidly crap.

The only positive thing I could honestly find about DSIII is the graphics. The game does look beautiful. But then again the characters' appearance only changes at certain levels, a-la Diablo. Which is annoying in 2011.

Actually, I don't like reviewing crap games but I might make an exception here...

Korgan

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
Volourn said:

There was this thread at gamefaqs where a guy was laughed at when he said it's a shame the dragon battles in Skyrim wil most likely be just generic fights. People told him it was ok if every fight was the same, because they're dragons, and dragons aren't smart enough to do something other than swooping down and chomping you.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

FUCK! FUCK! I was never really too much into dragons, but now I feel obliged to uphold the honor of dragonkind! They aren't some fucking lizards, they're DRAGONS! FFFFFFF-

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having played DSIII for about 10 hours, I can say it's not Obsidian's strongest work. Level design is completely linear, the camera sucks, and I'm told the campaign is very short (I'm pretty sure I'm near the end).

At times it can be too easy, although the boss fights have been fun.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Keep in mind that I don't consider any of Obsidian's games to have crappy camera controls. Except DSIII.

I mean, what the fuck. You have a fixed overhead view that lets you see a whole 10 feet in front of you. I would rather be able to either zoom way out, or tilt the camera so I can see forward.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Xor said:
Keep in mind that I don't consider any of Obsidian's games to have crappy camera controls. Except DSIII.

I mean, what the fuck. You have a fixed overhead view that lets you see a whole 10 feet in front of you. I would rather be able to either zoom way out, or tilt the camera so I can see forward.

To be fair, you have a point and I myself raged mildly at such a design choice, although that was was the least of the game's issues, IMO.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Am i the only one having fun with this game ? totally worth it, im on final mission, cant believe what they did with this mindless hack n slash series, almost uninstalled it at first 10 levels but i said wth this is obsidian cant be this bad and i was fucking right, the game rocks.

Zeriel

Arcane
Am i the only one having fun with this game ? totally worth it, im on final mission, cant believe what they did with this mindless hack n slash series, almost uninstalled it at first 10 levels but i said wth this is obsidian cant be this bad and i was fucking right, the game rocks.

That was how I felt about it, too, not sure what to make of everyone hating it. The gameplay isn't anything to write home about, but it's the only hack-and-slash Diablo clone I've played where I felt compelled to finish the game just to see how the storyline panned out.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only took a year and a half for the Obsidian marketing plants to bump this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom