Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial What Mass Effect Learned From Chrono Trigger

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect

<p><a href="http://deltagamer.com/8919/what-mass-effect-learned-from-chrono-trigger" target="_blank">Delta Gamer analyze</a> the influence Chrono Trigger had on the Mass Effect series.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>One of the things that helped <em>Mass Effect</em>, I think, reach a much wider audience than most RPGs do was its real-time third-person combat. It combined a (somewhat clumsy, at least in the first game) <em>Gears of War</em>-like mechanical experience with the hallmarks of a traditional RPG, such as player-customizable statistics and weapons and armor. Similarly, one of the more revolutionary aspects of Chrono Trigger was its Active Time Battle System 2.0, lifted from <em>Final Fantasy IV</em> and tweaked and improved for the new game. Of course, this was not as dependent on twitchy player skill as is the three-dimensional combat in the <em>Mass Effect</em> games, but for the time, it was as interactive as could be expected of a turn-based battle system. What&rsquo;s more, the player&rsquo;s success or failure was entirely contingent on which party members he chose to bring along for each battle. How much of <em>Mass Effect</em>&rsquo;s strategy and sense of interaction boiled down to selecting which squad mates would be best for the mission at hand, or even which characters you took a liking toward? Sometimes, I&rsquo;d pick characters I knew weren&rsquo;t the best-suited for the task, just because I liked their dialog and personality; with Crono&rsquo;s adventure, I took along Frog and Magus much of the time, just because the lines they would pipe up with were so well-written (in the remake, anyway. Translation was shaky at best in the Super Nintendo version.)</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/103830-what-mass-effect-learned-from-chrono-trigger.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

meh

Educated
Also, in ME there's a strong influence of PST, because there are dialogs with choices.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's amusing to see how obvious becames in the article that Chrono Trigger has a bigger, more complex and interesting world than ME, the party members are better and the player has much more freedom too. :smug:

Speaking of Chrono, anyone else played the DS edition and found the "new areas" to be simply horrible? The level design is stupid (you can't avoid battles anymore) and the quests are about you climbing the same moutain, getting an item, and going back to the village around 50 times. I was seriously offended by some stupid designers fucking up such a great game! :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
felipepepe said:
It's amusing to see how obvious becames in the article that Chrono Trigger has a bigger, more complex and interesting world than ME, the party members are better and the player has much more freedom too. :smug:

Speaking of Chrono, anyone else played the DS edition and found the "new areas" to be simply horrible? The level design is stupid (you can't avoid battles anymore) and the quests are about you climbing the same moutain, getting an item, and going back to the village around 50 times. I was seriously offended by some stupid designers fucking up such a great game! :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

The new areas are absurd and a waste of your time.

Repressed Homosexual
Man that's some stupid stuff. Another click grabbing, piece of garbage article about nothing from the school of new game journalism. Why don't these guys get a blog instead of talking about themselves and masquerading it as an intelligent analysis?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
Aren't they optional, though?
Yeah, but I really believed the whole "the original team was involved in the making" talk and how it was supposed to link to the Chrono Cross story. Shame on me, I guess. :oops:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
felipepepe said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Aren't they optional, though?
Yeah, but I really believed the whole "the original team was involved in the making" talk and how it was supposed to link to the Chrono Cross story. Shame on me, I guess. :oops:

The three dungeons where you fight shadow Crono, Marle, and Lucca are all OK. The one with the lizard-people is just fucking bad. The Dream Devourer fight made up for it, though - that fight is actually somewhat difficult and I did it with a level 75 party.

GarfunkeL said:
Translation was shaky at best in the Super Nintendo version.
Stopped reading right there. Retard detected.

What's really hilarious is that CT had a very good translation. The only real problems with it were some censoring (beer turned into soda, some lightly crude jokes removed, etc) and the removal of references to a higher power (which I believe were there to imply that the planet itself created the time gates so you could fight Lavos).

The references to a higher power were left in the snes version. Robo makes an extensive speech about his theory of an "Entity" the night before Lucca travels back to the moment when her mother suffered the accident. Someone in the group (don't know if it's predetermined) then asks if it could be the planet itself, and they have a chat about it. It's an optional sidequest so it's missable (it's the one where you leave Robo behind in year 600, turning the desert into a forest, then you come back in year 1000 to recover him). I think Gaspar also talks about it.

edit: The jokes were probably deemed "too japanese".

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah, it's been a while since I played through the original translation, but I'm pretty sure you're right.

Bahamut

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
The references to a higher power were left in the snes version. Robo makes an extensive speech about his theory of an "Entity" the night before Lucca travels back to the moment when her mother suffered the accident. Someone in the group (don't know if it's predetermined) then asks if it could be the planet itself, and they have a chat about it. It's an optional sidequest so it's missable (it's the one where you leave Robo behind in year 600, turning the desert into a forest, then you come back in year 1000 to recover him). I think Gaspar also talks about it.

And at the ending it is said that the "Entity" is "finaly at rest"

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
There is only one big mistake in the SNES translation when Janus is called the half-brother of Schala while they are full-blooded siblings. Apart from that, it's a pretty good piece of work.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Jasede said:
felipepepe said:

The new areas are absurd and a waste of your time.

circ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:

edit: The jokes were probably deemed "too japanese".
There's an interview somewhere on the internets with the guy who did CT and a few other translations, I forget what he said exactly, but a lot of sexual innuendo was removed and Slash being a more obvious tranny or whatever was nixed. Play the fan translated ToP to get a more accurate view of what CT would have really been like. Well, not quite that crude.

Keep in mind that's japanese innuendo, which usually means HERP DERP IMMA OLD MAN WHO LOVES SCHOOLGIRL PANTIES, AINT I NAUGHTY and OH GOD SHES DRINKING FROM THE SAME STRAW I USED BEFORE - INDIRECTO KISSU! . The translation was also an adaptation, so while some things were removed because of censorship (alcohol), some were changed because they didn't make much sense to us.

The tranny would be Flea, and there's not much of a difference in the snes version...

tumblr_lnl3g6YJ3r1qak0qdo1_500.png

...and the fantranslation used in Ghostdog's LP (which isn't the most anal and robotic out there, but still quite literal)

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B%2528Retranslation%2529272.jpg

(full snes dialogue below, btw)

http://media.photobucket.com/image/flea ... aquote.jpg

RPGMaster

Savant
Next article: What Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne/Calling learned from The Grapes of Wrath. :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom