Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info 3059 version 3.03 lands

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: 3059

<A href="http://3059.phr00t.com/">3059</a> has been updated to <A href="http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jvight/mirror/3059/download.html">version 3.03</a> of the colonization/planet exploration rogue-like set in.. Well, here's what the author wrote about the game, since we've never posted anything about it before:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The year is 3059.
<br>
<br>
Earth has been overpopulated for ages. For the past 200 years, humankind has been seeking out new planets to colonize. Before humans are placed on a new planet, it is prepared with a basic set of roads, satellite networks, and buildings constructed by autonomous robots. You've just been placed on planet Esperenza, the planet of hope, with groups of other settlers. There is no organized authority in effect, and large cities and vehicles have yet to arrive; aliens still live freely in uncivilized areas. You have every chance to be anything you want to be.
<br>
<br>
Live long and prosper in 3059.</blockquote>
<br>
And here's the feature list per the author as well:
<br>
<br>
<ul><li>quickly saves your exact state in the game on exit at any time, so you can jump right back into the action seamlessly
<br>
<li>offers complete freedom; you can roam virtually endlessly in any direction at any time
<br>
<li>has no plateau; there will always be something more to get, do or see
<br>
<li>easilly fits on a floppy disk, and can run smoothly on machines slower than 600mhz
<br>
<li>incorporates an original, efficient and unique skill, statistics, rendering, sound and AI engine</ul>
<br>
<br>
That <i>no plateau</i> feature sounds pretty impossible, doesn't it?
<br>

Crnobog

Liturgist
I'm guessing it just means that monsters' toughness and item powers go up with player's level or that it just has no level limit

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The first thing I noticed was that the view is overhead, but it's tilted 45 degrees. I'm guessing that the guy is eventually going to move to an isometric view.

crakkie

Arcane
It's funny how being real-time actually slows it down. In most roguelikes you just hold down an arrow key an zip across the screen. This thing slows you down to the same speed as everyone else. The movement's kind of nauseating, actually. I had to stop after 10 minutes.

Gwendo

Augur
Unfortunately it's real time. It would be much better if it were turn-based. :(

EvilSupahFly

Novice
Does anybody know if there is a Savegame Editor or the directions for a grab-a-hex-editor-and-do-it-yourself modification of the savegame/player info files anywhere? Just curious... google wasn't much help, but it did lead me here...

EvilSupahFly

Novice
I emailed the author. Here's the basics:

EvilSupahFly's Email said:
Jeremy Vight <jvight@student.umass.edu> to me

Quoting EvilSupahFly:

>
> Any chance you'll divulge the hex addresses of where everything is
> located within the player files?

I don't exactly know where all that information is stored -- it is encrypted. :)
If I make a successor to 3059, I'll most likely have the player data open.

- Jeremy

obediah

Erudite
baby arm said:
Google is not your friend if it led you to this shithole.

It's just one of *THOSE* friends. You know - "<gag>, hey smell this!" or the type that thinks the best way to say hello is to punch you in the balls. God, I don't miss high school.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom