Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons of Dredmor Preview @ RPGCodex

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Dungeons of Dredmore Preview @ RPGCodex

<p><strong>Dungeons of Dredmor</strong>, a comic fantasy roguelike dungeon crawler game from <a href="http://www.gaslampgames.com/" target="_blank">Gaslamp Games</a>, is about to go gold. With the release being imminent, resident community member and valuable human resource <em>MisterStone</em> decided to reap all the fame and glory for himself by previewing the game.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>As for game mechanics, DoD distinguishes itself from other roguelike games through its skill trees and crafting system. Although there are no named classes in the traditional sense, you essentially create your own class during character creation: you get to choose seven skill trees, and are not allowed to add new ones later in the game. The game boasts a total of thirty four skill trees (!), including five melee weapon proficiencies, two ranged weapon proficiencies, three defensive skills, and seven schools of magic. In addition there are skills that work in tandem with other skill trees, such as those that help you cast spells more efficiently, give you buffs or special attacks in combat, and so on. There are some rather unique miscellaneous trees such as the &lsquo;fungal arts&rsquo; series (which lets you grow mushrooms for personal use and gives the ability summon fungal pets), a series of skills devoted to wand use, and the archeologist tree, which helps you avoid traps and allows you to do weird things with unique artifacts. Finally, there are the crafting skills: alchemy, smithing and tinkering- more on this later.

Each skill tree has between three and seven upgrades, and the player gets to upgrade a single tree each time they level up. For combat skills, an upgrade usually just means bonuses, but in some cases also usable powers. For the magical disciplines, each upgrade represents access to a new spell. I found that each magical discipline seems to have a fairly wide range of buffs, debuffs, attacks, summons and the like, although certain disciplines focus more heavily on one area over another- for instance, &ldquo;promethean magic&rdquo; is mostly about dealing damage with fire, whereas golemancy is almost entirely about summoning. Mathemagic is largely about debuffing and teleport spells. All in all, I found most of the disciplines pretty interesting, although I sometimes find myself wishing they were even more specialized than they are&hellip; it seems that in many cases choosing more than two or three magical disciplines gives you several redundant abilities.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=232" target="_blank">Read the whole preview here.</a></p>

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, very nice and I'll have to try this game out when it's released. Any word on a demo?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Nice preview.:thumbsup:

I admit was a bit turned off by the graphic style initially, but after reading about it, I'm very interested.

MisterStone

Arcane
Dunno about the demo at this point; however I do know that it has gone gold, or _almost_ gold (the devs are going to play over the weekend before releasing it). Also, the official price is $5 which seems crazy cheap.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They are going to play the game for another 24-48 hours and if nothing comes up it will be gold then, according to the last news post.

And yeah, 5$ is insanely cheep for a game that seems fairly decent, if such mechanics appeal to you.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Dunno, someone interested in this game will also pay 15 bucks and someone not interested won't buy it even at $5.

getter77

Augur
Definite buy. I guess the $5 price would also make it rather painless to gift it to people, or even do freaky giveaway things like the one in its second round now over on Bay12 for Starfarer.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Looks fairly interesting. I'll skip a round of beer next friday and get this instead.

Also: LUTEFISK FOR THE LUTEFISK GOD!

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
As someone completely devoid of imagination (this:'@' is an 'at' symbol FFS), the only roguelikes I play are one's that have tilesets.

Still, I love the complexity of the character systems and the brutality of the gameplay and always wanted more indie developers (as opposed to one or two dudes producing freebies), to make some more polished roguelikes - even if they cost a few bucks.

So yeah, for me even cartoony graphics are better than none (though the more I see of this game, the more comfortable I am with the look) so I'm really looking forward to this.

:thumbsup:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Nice preview :salute:

Unless there are serious gameplay issues (and there don't seem to be any), a game that uses "Stubborness" as an attribute and "Golemancy" as a skill tree gets my $5.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Went under my radar but it looks posh!

Also eyebrows.

Edit: oh wait, it's that "Classic Roguelike gameplay with the sweet, refreshing taste of point-and-click interfaces. No longer must you press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-x to drink a potion." thing again! Fuck you!

Johannes

Arcane
Gragt said:
Went under my radar but it looks posh!

Also eyebrows.

Edit: oh wait, it's that "Classic Roguelike gameplay with the sweet, refreshing taste of point-and-click interfaces. No longer must you press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-x to drink a potion." thing again! Fuck you!
For most things pressing a key is much faster than pointing and clikcing.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Keyboard afficionado here. In most roguelikes, at least with NetHack and Stone Soup, drinking a potion is a simple matter of pressing "q" then another letter.

I still give them the benefit of doubt, if only for the Lutefisk for the Lutefisk God.

Qwertilot

Novice
q then a number surely :) Actually, besides the interface, the graphics really do look considerably less functional than ascii.

But then traditional roguelikes have had decades of continous interface polishing so maybe we shouldn't be too picky ;)

Gwendo

Augur
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Dunno, someone interested in this game will also pay 15 bucks and someone not interested won't buy it even at $5.

I don't agree.
I'm interested in the game and will buy it for 5$, but not for 15$. That would be spending more than what I spent, recently, with Magic the Gathering DoP 2012 or Terraria, for example.

MisterStone

Arcane
Supposedly the delay is due to issues with the distribution, not game development, so chances are it will be out pretty soon.

Gragt, were you angry when WIndows became popular because "lamers" could do useful things on a computer without learning hundreds of DOS or UNIX shell commands? :)

Qwertilot

Novice
Fair enough :)

But being able to macro a key to blast the nearest enemy with a given spell? Sanity preserving when you're doing it as often as you do in these things.... Roguelike keyboard interfaces really are very tuned to what you need to do.

Johannes

Arcane
MisterStone said:
Gragt, were you angry when WIndows became popular because "lamers" could do useful things on a computer without learning hundreds of DOS or UNIX shell commands? :)
Typing command on a console is hardly the same as pressing a single keys to navigate menus.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
MisterStone said:

Hell yeah! :rage:

More seriously, I usualy work faster with the keyboard than with the mouse. It may take a while to remember the various commands in a roguelike but once it's done it's fast to drink potions, cast spells or manage inventory. Heck, that's also the reason why I use Total Commander because I know that I'm much faster with a keyboard than with a mouse-driven interface.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom