Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News EA: We Lost Some Fans With Dragon Age 2

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>According to EA's Games Label boss Frank Gibeau EA and BioWare might have lost some fans with <strong>Dragon Age 2</strong>. No big deal, they got a lot of new ones too. <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-14-ea-we-lost-some-fans-with-dragon-age-2">Eurogamer reports</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>"We were clearly disappointed with some of the response from the fanbase, because we want them to be as excited about it as we are," EA Games Label boss Frank Gibeau told Eurogamer.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>"We're very proud of the game. We tried to innovate and do some different things with the combat system and some of the way we told story. For some fans it worked well. In fact, we brought a lot of new fans into the Dragon Age franchise.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>"But to be honest, we lost some fans as well. They were not pleased with some of the innovations and things we'd done. We understand that and we're listening."</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>EA will take on fan feedback for Dragon Age 3, Gibeau promised.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Nothing RPG design god Mike Laidlaw can't fix for Dragon Age 3. Just need to tweak the fast-paced combat and lower the entry barrier a bit more.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/103440-ea-we-lost-some-fans-with-dragon-age-2.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WE ARE DISAPPOINTED WITH YOU FAGS, YOU HAVEN'T GAVE US ENOUGH MONEY! WE WANT MONEY! MORE! MORE MONEY! YES, MONEY PLZ! MOAR!!!

Achilles

Arcane
Dragon Age 3 will be exactly the same as Dragon Age 2 gameplay-wise, but with more (probably 4) locations to visit and a suitably "epic" storyline. Then everyone will love it and hail it as Bioware's return to form.

pocahaunted

Arcane
These morons need to shut up, how can anyone be proud of a game when every dungeon is a bloody copy-paste? Get real, nobody's gonna eat your bullshit.

Angthoron

Arcane
EA: We didn't learn a shit from this except that some people are backwards and don't like progress.

J_J_M

Educated
What Bioware is going to change in Dragon Age 3 is they'll make sure no copy/paste shows in the game, and that fight scenarios will be designed by hand now instead of using the wave-method. Other than that, the game will still have level-scaling, dialogue wheel, 3 classes, a fixed main character, corridor maps, and game length shorter than DA:O's. The main difference will be in how they market the game. They will make sure to put down DA2 at every opportunity using buzzwords and empty promises, and never actually address what they are going to improve in DA3.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Used to be a time when they occasionally spoke their mind in interviews or press statements. These days its all just spin, spin and more spin. I absolutely loathe it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Mass Effect has a fairly complicated combat system. You've got story and choice. For some fans that don't buy 12 games a year and maybe buy two or three, some of those things can be intimidating.
thesisko said:
.Sigurd said:
Hmmm... I imagine the butthurt that those news will cause in the Bioware forums, especially after the general disappointment that DA2 was.

Also, seems that EA guys don't even try to hide anymore, they already say straight on the face that they will make the game more accessible.

I posted a thread with the exact same content on the BioWare forums. It was renamed to "Article: Why Mass Effect 3 supports Kinect" and its content was changed to another quote from the same article.
Also, I was banned from even viewing the forums :thumbsup:
If Bio wants to keep it hush, hush, I consider it worth reposting a few times.
But I really don't see the issue, Bio. It's not as if you haven't shown you fans that you consider them (rightfully) to be retards time and time again...

Trash said:
Used to be a time when they occasionally spoke their mind in interviews or press statements. These days its all just spin, spin and more spin. I absolutely loathe it.

Nowadays everything you say will be all over the net in a matter of seconds, so you really can't risk saying too much. I don't blame them for doing the "My favorite thing about working on that project? Todd won't let me say it, but it was awesome. So awesome." routine.

But just think how many fans they will gain if they manage to dumb it down enough to tap into the still not fulfilled <60 IQ demographic!

circ

Arcane
MORE BISEXUAL ENCOUNTERS

MORE POTTYMOUTHED OBNOXIOUS GROUPMATES

COMING SOON IN DRAGON AGE 3: RECTAL OBSTRUCTION

SWINGING A SWORD IS LIKE SEX THIS TIME
AND AXE (MAY NOT APPEAR IN THE FINAL PRODUCT)
AND MACE (MAY NOT APPEAR IN THE FINAL PRODUCT)
AND DAGGER

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Overweight Manatee said:
But just think how many fans they will gain if they manage to dumb it down enough to tap into the still not fulfilled <60 IQ demographic!

:thumbsup:

They'll probably have a meeting with some marketing types who will tell them the reason DA2 sucked is because it was just "too hardcore" or not accessible enough.

And those "stat" things, they've got to go. Who likes reading, thinking, planning and shit like that? Even stars are too way hardcore because they involve counting.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
"We were clearly disappointed with some of the response from the fanbase"

Haha, oh, wow. Way to shift the blame there, EA. IT'S THEIR FAULT THEY DIDN'T LIKE IT. They simply made an awesome game, and several long-time bioware fanboys didn't like it. Clearly it's their fault. It's not like EA changed much in the game... oh. Wait. I guess they kinda did.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should hire me as creative director of new Ultimas. I can come up with stuff better than all Fallouts and Ultimas combined.

Regdar

Arcane

Just out of curiosity, is the wave issue more problematic due to the enemies appearing from thin air or simply because you don't know how many more are coming and can't properly position yourself?

Thanks for the responses everyone! I suspect (and this is purely speculative) that the wave-type system will stay in the franchise going forward but we're certainly always looking for feedback and ways too improve.

He realizes that he made a grave mistake and two pages later:

To reiterate: when I said they will still use waves in the future I meant that they will not be removed outright. We're going to take all this information in to account going forward and hopefully that will encourage design to greatly lessen the use of this type of encounter in favor of something else.

Luke Barrett

They're not getting rid of waves, they're streamlining them :lol:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mighty Mouse said:
They should hire me as creative director of new Ultimas. I can come up with stuff better than all Fallouts and Ultimas combined.

Sooo... you'd come up with dragon age 2? :troll:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:
what a honest interview. Makes me wanna go to the bathroom and take a giant innovation.
:salute:

But majority of Bioware fans are retarded enough that they will keep buying the bullshit line and happily donate their cash to EA again and again.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
racofer said:
I, for one, am never buying anything Bioware ever again.
You bought DAII?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom