Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Game Revolution examines KOTOR 2

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://gr.bolt.com>Game Revolution</a> has posted a <a href=http://gr.bolt.com/games/xbox/rpg/star_wars_kotor_2.htm>review</a> of <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords>KOTOR 2</a>. The reviewer mostly complains about the lack of new features that actually add something, and yesterday's graphics.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The thing about these changes is that they are all relatively minor. The prestige classes are merely extensions of the three Jedi categories (Guardian, Consular and Sentinel). The new feats and powers are mostly minor upgrades, such as the ability to deflect blaster bolts with your hand instead of your lightsaber, or, in return, the ability to make your blaster bolts a little harder to deflect. Don't expect any new major combat moves or abilities or a force power that lets you set your enemies aflame. You'll be playing The Sith Lords exactly the same way you played KOTOR.</blockquote>
<br>
I'm really surprised about that. I thought that the game is loaded with new stuff: the influence system, new fighting styles, new classes, new feats, very improved repair system, etc; yet every review basically states the same thing: EXACTLY like the first one, nothing new to see there, folks. It's a <i>mystary</i>!
<br>
<br>
<br>

Mendoza

Liturgist
Yeah, I was forgetting all those bits in the movies where they set people on fire using the force. And of course there aren't any flamethrowers in the game. Oh no wait, there are.

geminito

Liturgist
So, when is RPG Codex going to officially change its name to KOTOR2 Codex?

Enough KOTOR2 already. KOTOR is just an adventure game with character stats. I would rather play the Monkey Island games again.

sparrowtm

Insert Disk 22
Developer
So if Guybrush Threepwood had character stats, you´d consider Monkey Island a RPG? :P

MarFish

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
I'm really surprised about that. I thought that the game is loaded with new stuff: the influence system, new fighting styles, new classes, new feats, very improved repair system, etc; yet every review basically states the same thing: EXACTLY like the first one, nothing new to see there, folks. It's a <i>mystary</i>!

New classes, new feats, crafting system, improved henchman dialog, etc - sounds like an NWN expansion to me.

The <i>mystary</i> is probably that people expected a sequel instead of an expansion pack...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The crafting system in the NWN expansion pack basically only let you customize your armor's appearance, so it's hardly the same thing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The crafting system in the NWN expansion pack basically only let you customize your armor's appearance, so it's hardly the same thing."

Haven't played the game have you?

geminito

Liturgist
sparrowtm said:
So if Guybrush Threepwood had character stats, you´d consider Monkey Island a RPG? :P

No, I wouldn't. But RPG Codex would.

I can't believe you remembered his name. I love you.

Mendoza

Liturgist
Surely everyone knows Guybrush Threepwood?

The crafting system in HotU let you create weapons and armour from component items, which could be obtained from merchants or smashed up furniture (iirc). Whilst I haven't used it, it seemed nice from as a roleplaying skill but not very practical, since the crafted equipment didn't seem to compare well to stuff you could buy. In a low level campaign without vast sums of money it could be a nice skill to have.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Is anyone going to complain about the carbon copy beginning to the game? HEY LOOK YOU WOKE UP INJURED WITH NO RECOLLECTION OF WHO YOU WERE!! KREATIVE. I wonder how long it took MCA and the rest of the idiot brigade at Obsidian to come up with that one. I'm so sick of that beginning. I'm about half way through the game and already the story makes me want to puke.. and as for KREIA SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT ... if you didn't figure out within the first five minutes that you were going to have to kill her at the end because she's going to betray you then you should do the world a favor and shoot yourself.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"HEY LOOK YOU WOKE UP INJURED WITH NO RECOLLECTION OF WHO YOU WERE!! KREATIVE."

This proves to me, once again, that MCA is overrated as a writer; but not for the reason you think.

Killzig, the PC does NOT have amnesia or even version of it. It just seems that that aprt is poorly passed on. If you notice, the character actually knows stuff. The character just informs the player of stuff the character knows; but the player does.

Very poor writing form on MCA's part in that regard if I say so myself.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I actually don't mind the little nudgings towards how your previous game ended up even though they're quite minor. (He/She Revan, Republic destroyed or not everything is in shambles anyways) I was actually referring to the whole WHERE AM I? WHO ARE YOU? WHY AM I IN MY UNDERWEAR? It seems like every main character in an RPG goes on some sort of all night bender right before they embark on their huge journey. So much alcohol consumed that they've forgotten everything, their name, their clothes, all the skills they learned in their previous 20 some odd years of life. I've just taken this position when it comes to RPGs. You're not actually acquiring new skills, every level is just more alcohol you've worked out of your system and you're picking skills to remember first.

Fez

Erudite
Killzig said:
It seems like every main character in an RPG goes on some sort of all night bender right before they embark on their huge journey. So much alcohol consumed that they've forgotten everything, their name, their clothes, all the skills they learned in their previous 20 some odd years of life. I've just taken this position when it comes to RPGs. You're not actually acquiring new skills, every level is just more alcohol you've worked out of your system and you're picking skills to remember first.

Which seems to be almost the same as the plot to Planescape: Torment, the ultimate amnesia game.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Very poor writing form on MCA's part in that regard if I say so myself.

I dunno. Maybe it's just that it's such a common convention in RPGs that it's just assumed by most to be the case. I'm going to have to play through the beginning again before I can really pass final judgement here. I admit to getting confused myself.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Mendoza said:
The crafting system in HotU let you create weapons and armour from component items, which could be obtained from merchants or smashed up furniture (iirc). Whilst I haven't used it, it seemed nice from as a roleplaying skill but not very practical, since the crafted equipment didn't seem to compare well to stuff you could buy. In a low level campaign without vast sums of money it could be a nice skill to have.

Really? The only thing I noticed was being able to change the bits on my armor. Is being able to actually make things dependent on skill level?

Killzig said:
So much alcohol consumed that they've forgotten everything, their name, their clothes, all the skills they learned in their previous 20 some odd years of life.

Which is odd, because usually, skills are retained.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Is being able to actually make things dependent on skill level?"

Yes. The more complex iweapon or armour being made; the higher the DC. Though anyone with decent points in said skill should have no problem. DC maxes out at around 20, I believe. On top of that, it is pretty much worthless in magic heavy HOTU or even the OC or SOU.

"I admit to getting confused myself."

This says it all.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The first one is written by that Ender fella, who's on a mission to justify everything, so as an opinion it's worthless (edit) and I do not consider opinions of such people to be of any value to anyone

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
The first one is written by that Ender fella, who's on a mission to justify everything, so as an opinion it's worthless.
Your statement lacks [edit] a clause akin to [/edit] "and I do not consider opinions of such people to be of any value to anyone" to be a fully supported statement.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Ender's a cool guy. Don't badmouth him behind his back, fuckwads.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Pretty sure he's registered here, Volourn. So, if it's behind his back, that's his fault."

Yeah; but he doesn't spam here like the rest of us. Besdies, I've shared my disagreements with him over thee no need to drag it here..

Vault Dweller

Developer
First, Ender is a fucking moron. Second, I told him that in his face when he was around. Third, shut the fuck up, bitch.

Ender said:
I just hate how everyone states that MW was dumbed down due to the X-Box
I think RPG fans should be happy that developers want to try and put real RPGs on consoles. If RPGs sell better, we'll see more of them.

He dropped by here, stated some bullshit, got his ass handed to him a few times, never replied, etc. Yeah, a cool guy indeed.

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=69520
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=69391 (check out Dhruin's reply to Ender here)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom