Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Exploring The Witcher 2: Combat

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>After yesterday's <a href="http://witcher2game.com/2011/05/exploring-the-witcher-2-day-one/" target="_blank">Exploring The Witcher 2: Day One-article</a>, which I didn't post about, Witcher2Game provide <a href="http://witcher2game.com/2011/05/exploring-the-witcher-2-day-two/" target="_blank">another article in the same vein</a>, focussing on combat this time. It contains spoilers but you get a lot of tips how to properly pop the moles in <strong>The Witcher 2</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Getting Around Game Lag: Like it or not, combat hasn&rsquo;t changed all that much from the original Witcher. While the new options for switching Signs, weapons or combat styles on the fly are nice, the fact remains that Geralt isn&rsquo;t the fastest fighter in Temeria and unless you&rsquo;re careful, he&rsquo;ll get overwhelmed when facing multiple opponents. Everything from casting Signs to choosing a new target to blocking an enemy attack takes time and often leaves Geralt vulnerable to backstabs, arrows and sideswipes. Whether due to game mechanics or my own computer, in the worst case scenarios I had to make the same command multiple times, as incoming damage or Geralt&rsquo;s own sometimes ponderous pace in battle aborted my efforts to cast Signs or change fighting stances.<br /><br />There are a few things you can do to get around the game&rsquo;s occasionally unforgiving combat lag. First, roll early and roll often. Rolling allows Geralt to slip under powerful enemy attacks or get behind enemies. The roll command can also be used to gain ground on the battlefield, or to close the distance to ranged opponents. Best of all, rolling seems to be faster than parrying, and at least on my computer had a higher success rate for avoiding incoming damage. Remember that the are two ways to issue a roll command. On the PC, you can hit the spacebar for a standard forward roll, or tap a directional key twice to have Geralt roll in the direction of your choice.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I just <a href="http://www.amazon.de/Razer-Laser-Gaming-schnurgebunden-schwarz/dp/B002N2L6QU" target="_blank">bought this mouse</a> at Amazon. Do you see these buttons on the side - freely configurable? I hope this mouse will help me to sufficiently enhance my witchery popamoling skillz. Which are currently not up to modern RPG standards.</p>

I just bought this mouse at Amazon. Do you see these buttons on the side - freely configurable? I hope this mouse will help me to sufficiently enhance my witchery popamoling skillz. Which are currently not up to modern RPG standards.
In a surprising turn of events, VentilatorOfDoom makes a shitty joke.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
VentilatorOfDoom said:
It contains spoilers but you get a lot of tips how to properly pop the moles...

I have a little chuckle every time I see popamole, or pop-a-mole here now (which is pretty frequently).

In aussie slang, a mole is like a skank or a slut and when you 'pop' one... well...you know. :smug:

commie said:
VoD's like that embarrassing uncle that shows up at family gatherings with the same 'pull my finger' gag since 1976.
He's German. Over there, they probably find that gag funny each and every year.

MapMan

Arcane
People complain that if you get surrounded by enemies, they dont wait till you finish them one vs one but actually attack all at once. :retarded:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
^
Seriously. :lol:

One thing I don't like is blocking. If the game had better blocking mechanics you wouldn't need to roll around all the time like a clown. Risen has much better melee combat in my opinion.

I'm going to focus on magic because so far it seems more interesting.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I made no joke, this mouse will help me. I can cast/block and everything else just with my right thumb, without having to fuss around with my left hand. I need this hand for WASD, you butthurt poles.

I don't get why they advertised this as button-mashing anyway, button-mashing doesn't seem to get you very far. I already grew quite fond of Quen - i never used that in TW1.

Btw, when I try to register the game (from the game menu) I get an error message. Is this normal?

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Btw, when I try to register the game (from the game menu) I get an error message. Is this normal?

They don`t pirate them as they used to i guess :lol:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
VentilatorOfDoom said:
I made no joke, this mouse will help me. I can cast/block and everything else just with my right thumb, without having to fuss around with my left hand. I need this hand for WASD, you butthurt poles.

I don't get why they advertised this as button-mashing anyway, button-mashing doesn't seem to get you very far. I already grew quite fond of Quen - i never used that in TW1.

th_Bao-Dur1.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
VentilatorOfDoom said:

I also calibrated the cast and block to the mouse. More comfortable this way. But damn, that mouse of yours is a beast, it has a small keyboard on the side. :D

The register error message didn't appear to me. Where did you try to register, in the launcher window, or from the game menu itself? I did the former, and it worked.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
J_C said:
The register error message didn't appear to me. Where did you try to register, in the launcher window, or from the game menu itself? I did the former, and it worked.
From the launcher. It says something like *error starting standard browser* or something. I have firefox as standard browser (which can be launched just fine).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
VentilatorOfDoom said:
J_C said:
From the launcher. It says something like *error starting standard browser* or something. I have firefox as standard browser (which can be launched just fine).
Does the launcher even connect to the server? You can see a litlle lightning icon in the upper left corner if it is connected. Maybe it is a server issue. If not, than I have no idea what could cause this.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
VentilatorOfDoom said:
J_C said:
Try setting that piece of shit IE as the default browser, then try the luncher.

nFn

Educated
This newspost was entertaining.

Thank you VindicatorOfBrooms.

Angthoron

Arcane
What is that all about? You can totally fuck enemies over AoE-style, it's in the Swordmaster tree. Didn't build as Swordmaster? Don't complain the lack of AoE.

And yeah, block is somewhat annoying in that it drains Vitality or whatever it's called, the drain should've been lower by default.

Then again, I rather like how trash fights get easier and easier as you level up.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The rolling is fine. The problem isn't with the mechanic itself but just the over-the-top animation. Positioning being important is awesome. If they simply replaced the rolling animation a quick side-step + parry/deflect animation, that would probably satisfy everybody here (including me).

The Swordmaster tree sounds really boring though. All you get are +stats and modifiers to your existing skills, IIRC. In that it won't make the swordplay more complex but just allow you to do the same combat moves better. Same with the Alchemy tree, I don't see many new potions or anything. I will probably go down the Magic tree because the talents seem to have a significant effect on the tactical use of specific signs.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Mangoose said:
The rolling is fine. The problem isn't with the mechanic itself but just the over-the-top animation. Positioning being important is awesome. If they simply replaced the rolling animation a quick side-step + parry/deflect animation, that would probably satisfy everybody here (including me).

They had that in witcher 1 and it was a clusterfuck, rolling is gamey but it works as an animation AND a mechanic.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
fizzelopeguss said:
Mangoose said:

They had that in witcher 1 and it was a clusterfuck, rolling is gamey but it works as an animation AND a mechanic.
What. Witcher 1 dodging didn't nearly avoid damage as well as the rolling in Witcher 2. I'm saying keep the mechanic 100%, change the animation only.

MetalCraze

Arcane
herostratus said:
In a surprising turn of events, VentilatorOfDoom makes a shitty joke.

The reactions to it say otherwise.

He is pretty spot on saying that TW2 being a console slasher has a shitty combat.

Here's how a good combat in a console slasher looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpXZLtwV ... re=related

compare this to TW2's retarded
"roll around, twitch LMB, roll around, twitch LMB"

Heck even here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvufwP516gI

And it's RPG just like TW2. You get experience for killing enemies. You develop your character by unlocking new combat tricks and getting +20 to dmg and hp.
It also has tits and QTEs which are a requirement for a non-consolized RPG these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom