Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Planescape: Torment 2: Win the Blood War Announced

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Planescape: Torment

<p>... eh, not quite. But Feargus <a href="http://pc-mmo.nowgamer.com/news/5797/obsidian-dev-ponders-planescape-torment-return" target="_blank">seems to be pondering</a> the possibility of a sequel to MCA's masterpiece.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>So what does this mean for the chances of a sequel to the adored PC RPG, Planescape: Torment? Urquhart was surprisingly candid: &ldquo;I remember right after finishing Planescape: Torment I spoke to Chris Avellone [Obsidian creative director] and asked what he wanted to do, and he was like, &lsquo;I don&rsquo;t wanna do a sequel!&rsquo; We haven&rsquo;t talked about it in ten years, but it might be different now. But a lot of revisiting old games is about saying, &lsquo;okay, that worked in 1999, what would work now?&rsquo; And how would you do it again?&rdquo;<br /><br />&ldquo;It would have to be done right, otherwise the fans of the original would be pissed off&rdquo;<br /><br />But while it&rsquo;s not entirely off the table, Urquhart does have concerns that would have to be addressed: &ldquo;We&rsquo;d have to think a lot about it, because it would have to be done right, otherwise the fans of the original would be pissed off and new people wouldn&rsquo;t get it. That would be terrible.&rdquo;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>To be honest, that doesn't sound like Obsidian has real plans to do it. They can only lose, whatever they do they won't top it. PS:T is a miracle that only happens once in your lifetime.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Thanks to Alexandros for pointing this out.</em></p>

Phelot

Arcane
OH God you know at this point I think they should just for the lulz and butthurt.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
While I'd hate to see another classic raped, I would rather they try and fail to make a sequel to torment than make only ambitionless popamole rpgs.

Catalina

Scholar
Well, the title of THIS news post gave me my shocked heart attack of the day.

Phelot

Arcane
Just trying to think of how they'd do this. I guess a prequel would be easy enough, but otherwise it obviously would have to do with escaping the Blood War except that that ending seems to show TNO pretty resolute with serving out his fate seeing as how trying to cheat fate landed him into his current mess. Maybe take place in and around the Blood War or maybe TNO is sent as an agent into the other planes? In any case, don't fucking do it Obsidian!

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
thesheeep said:
PS:T + Diablo 3 + Sexy Beach 3 = PS:T 2 ?
I don't know what you're trying to say here. PS:T already had Diablo's combat and Sexy Beach's character design.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think a proper RPG on the planescape setting would be awesome, but leave TNO alone. His story is over.

Catalina said:
Well, the title of THIS news post gave me my shocked heart attack of the day.
:lol:

MMXI

Arcane
I'm not sure about this. I guess I would welcome it because Planescape: Torment was one of the best story-focused RPGs ever created. However, it was never representative of the direction I wanted RPGs to head in. A greater focus on story and characters over all else? That's now what BioWare does, but with incredibly shitty writers.

In other words, I can see a multi-platform Planescape: Torment II making BioTards (and other degenerate groups) froth at the mouth claiming that this is the game all old-school RPG players had been waiting for (much like what journalists now say about Dragon Age: Origins in retrospect).

So basically this is half :incline: and half :decline: from me. I don't want a new Planescape Torment tainting the mainstream perception of what "old-school RPGs" are the way Dragon Age: Origins has done.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Useless speculation - MCA has never (AFAIK) even entertained the idea of a sequel and it seems far-fetched that Obsidian would be so hard pressed to find material. Plus you have the licence problems.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
phelot said:
Just trying to think of how they'd do this. I guess a prequel would be easy enough, but otherwise it obviously would have to do with escaping the Blood War except that that ending seems to show TNO pretty resolute with serving out his fate seeing as how trying to cheat fate landed him into his current mess. Maybe take place in and around the Blood War or maybe TNO is sent as an agent into the other planes? In any case, don't fucking do it Obsidian!

Well, Fall-From-Grace said that she would look for him. That could be used as a start.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you ...

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom