Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Hands-On With The Witcher 2

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>RPGWatch had some hands-on time with <strong>The Witcher 2</strong>. <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=173&amp;ref=0&amp;id=403" target="_blank">These are the results</a> of their previewing efforts.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Stealth is a new option, although the game controls the opportunities: at certain scripted locations, you are given the choice to enter Stealth mode. While creeping around, Geralt can use a Sign to blow out torches and silent takedowns can be executed by successfully reaching an enemy from the rear without detection. I found one stealth sequence quite easy and, in another, I was repeatedly detected, so this might need more fine-tuning. Still, it's an interesting addition.</p>
<p>One potentially controversial aspect is the Quick Time Events. There are a variety of mini-games such as boxing, arm-wrestling, dice and more. For example, the boxing is reminiscent of <em>Heavy Rain</em> - you'll have to hit one of the WASD keys as a sequence flashes up. The choreographed animation is impressive but I'd prefer a direct control system. Arm-wrestling was dull and I didn't try dice. Most of these are optional but occasionally, they are part of a story sequences. For me, these aren't a successful addition but they also don't do much harm.</p>
<p>So, on to the most important aspect: how well are the choices and consequences implemented? I can only provide a limited view but I did observe a number of choices and optional approaches. Early in the Prelude a soldier asked for advice - during a pitched battle he added support and later explained my advice helped him survive that far. Flotsam has provided a raft of small choices and these build to a climax. You can choose to sabotage a weapon, using prostitutes to draw a guard away and later create a distraction with an arm-wrestle. There's an opportunity to sneak into a compound and collect information and one of the major encounters can be completed alone or with assistance - all of these have some impact later on.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#17249">RPGWatch</a></p>

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Preview version was released about a month ago (BTW, why didn't Codex get to play it? We are prestigious, right?). They took their time with this preview...

spectre

Arcane
You're saying it like it's a bad thing.
Maybe for once the journo actually managed to go past the main menu and even maybe ... gasp ... complete the game....

not.

HowTF are QTEs controversial? Is there anything not retarded about pressing the awesome button in reaction to a flashing sign on the screen instead of... oh, I dunno... in reaction to what's going on in-game? I'm not shooting a fucking movie here, I'm trying to enjoy my time with this thing. I don't care for whatever personal issues the numbnuts of a game designer has to go through to sell his out-of-ideas stupid self and crash through the fourth wall in a monster truck, steering with his ass, every time I convince myself that "hey, this game isn't so bad, I might even risk turning my brain back on, eventually".

I think I read rumours that QTE's can be turned off in Twitcher 2, though. So, it's still a definite 'maybe' on the demoing this part.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Multiple Sarcasm said:
I think I read rumours that QTE's can be turned off in Twitcher 2, though. So, it's still a definite 'maybe' on the demoing this part.

QTEs can be turned off, with exception of fistfights.

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
BelisariuS.F said:
Preview version was released about a month ago (BTW, why didn't Codex get to play it? We are prestigious, right?). They took their time with this preview...

Why are you calling Dhruin they? Are you a newfag perchance? :obviously:

Anyway, he seemed to like it, so there are now 2 positive previews from the only rpg sites (apart from the codex) that matter. Time to change the expectations from the game from "meh" to "might be good".

BelisariuS.F

Augur
tarkin said:
BelisariuS.F said:

Why are you calling Dhruin they? Are you a newfag perchance? :obviously:

I rarely frequent RPGWatch. Only Codex matters :love:

Phelot

Arcane
RPGWatch certainly know their RPGs though at times they are a little too positive. I know how that sounds coming from RPGCodex, but it's true. They'll flat out state that they don't like a type of feature, but then add "but it's not so bad even though I can't stand it. It could be worse" Fuck just speak your mind and call it shit!

phelot said:
RPGWatch certainly know their RPGs though at times they are a little too positive. I know how that sounds coming from RPGCodex, but it's true. They'll flat out state that they don't like a type of feature, but then add "but it's not so bad even though I can't stand it. It could be worse" Fuck just speak your mind and call it shit!
A cesspool of positivity.

aries202

Erudite
I do not, in itself, find QTE controversial; the way it is implemented is. I never quite fully figured out the timing sequence in Witcher 1, but I stuck with the game. And boy, I'm glad I did. I'm now in chapter V; this game blows Bioware's rpgs out of the water by more than three longshots.

And wasn't boxing (fistfights), dice-poker, and arm-wrestling also QTE in the first game? And you don't need to box, armwrestle, or play dicepoker in Witcher 2?

As for wht RPGCodex didn't get a preview copy, well maybe you didn't ask -

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
BelisariuS.F said:

Not all sites got the preview version at the same time (a pretty short list got it first), and sites like RPGWatch are run by volunteers who only get to play in their free time, so...

Also the preview copy was really strict, constant internet connection required, which was a bit broken for some.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
BelisariuS.F said:
No, they most likely had it written and were waiting for CDProjekt to accept the preview. Space Marine had this press event and they embargoed the previews for a month before they approved them. =\

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Mangoose said:
No, they most likely had it written and were waiting for CDProjekt to accept the preview. Space Marine had this press event and they embargoed the previews for a month before they approved them. =\

No they didn't. CD Projekt doesn't ask to read and pre-approve previews, and the embargo is long since passed if there ever was any (dunno if there was). Embargos and pre-approving are seperate issue anyway.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The journal is written as a true journal - not just a quest log - and you'll need to read it regularly to keep up.
I always thought that TW's strongest point was its well thought journal. Knowledge played a somehow important part in the game:
- advancing the story filled your journal in a very reasonable fashion, I felt that the journal took an important part in the overall narration of the game
- alchemy was easy to use but required a minimum investment from the player
- skinning and herbalism required some research too
- enemy's weak point (fast or strong style) could be found in your journal
- this knowledge could be gathered from books or from NPC (quest or trade)
I'm glad they didn't mess it up in the sequel.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I know it doesn't ammount to much, but hungarian PC magazine PC Guru gave The Witcher 2 92%. I don't know what is in the article though, I didn't read it. The magazine sucks. XD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom