Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Grimoire Updates

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Grimoire

<p>The much anticipated vaporware cRPG of 1998 - 2011 Grimoire <a href="http://grimoiresystems.com.au/goldenera/">has a few updates</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;Bloodshot eyeballs bulging out from fatigue, item editing myself into institution, drooling down chin, slack-jawed Lovecraftian style Innsmouth look of editing madness &hellip;</p>
<p>&hellip; and still the item editing goes on.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>943 items. I&rsquo;ve got utilities now that give me charts by class and type showing me cost in gold pieces, comparisons of armor and spells, bonus modifiers. Checking and double checking and checking again, worked my way from one end to the other making sure the data is set correctly for each and every one.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Biggest things to emerge from the walkthrough is how many items were incomplete/blank/incorrectly set, causing crashes or other errant behaviours. There were items in there that had their class set back in 1998 and had not been touched since.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Then testing items in game. In combat. In quest mode. Designing merge tables for thaumaturges, implementing new workbench features and testing them against targets, checking prices to see if they were coming up right with NPCs, bartering, etc.</p>
<p>Etc. etc. etc. Nightmarish. Moving lego blocks in hell. Repetitive. Boring. Editing some more items. Then testing and checking. Editing more. Like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. Every day I wake up and that song by Sonny and Cher is playing and it&rsquo;s back to editing the items. Editing. Then testing. Testing as monster weapons. Testing as player weapons. Editing some more.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>No wonder I&rsquo;ve been procrastinating this chore for so long. It was mindnumbingly dull back in 1997. Nobody works on an RPG this long. It&rsquo;s insane. Tomorrow will be the same as today. More item editing. Testing. Editing.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&ldquo;I got you babe. I got you babe.&rdquo;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>As I am finally getting the items into shape, placing them in the right places and tweaking the combat to make them behave correctly. I feel that level scaling may not be needed.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Things are working correctly at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the game. Combat difficulty feels about right and the balance seems to exist. If there is an imbalance introduced by players advancing more rapidly than expected or getting certain powerful items early on, I don&rsquo;t think it should be addressed by fudging the stats to scale the difficulty level dynamically. In fact, it&rsquo;s too popamole. That&rsquo;s what another game designer might do. I was thinking before I got a lot of this stuff tweaked that it would be necessary but now I don&rsquo;t believe I will be doing it. Besides, it took a lot of tweaking to get it this balanced and putting in scaling introduces a whole new round of playtesting and rebalancing.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I think I&rsquo;ll leave it alone and continue on from here. Stuff seems to be much improved since the walkthrough and there is a lot more that just feels right.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>My wife gave me some more help reviewing things the other night, she had some great perspective on a quite a few things. I felt more confident after we looked over the remaining bugs I can actually finish this monster before this year is over.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Before this year is over? I want to believe a baby can fly.....</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=17214">RPGWatch</a></p>

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Hey, let's resurrect the old Exitium vs. Cleve Blakemore threads! :thumbsup:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Looks like he ran into the same sort of problems that made me spend a year on an automated quest/dialogue compiler.

After scripting the first 2-3 semi-playable quests suddenly I realized that all the scripting and checking became unmanageable ALREADY. That was fun.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Isn't Cleve pushing his luck? According to him we were all supposed to be making baby meat omelets and worshiping Lord Humongous by now. Get crakin' Cleve.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I felt more confident after we looked over the remaining bugs I can actually finish this monster before this year is over
More confident ? I thought Cleve was well over 9000 in the self-confidence department already.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Lonely Vazdru said:
I felt more confident after we looked over the remaining bugs I can actually finish this monster before this year is over
More confident ? I thought Cleve was well over 9000 in the self-confidence department already.

Which shows you how confident he is...GOTY 2021!!!

Achilles

Arcane
So that's why Cleve stopped posting here, he's on crunch time. Grimoire's release is imminent!

edit: typo

Blind Eye

Scholar
It's amazing to me that this, "longest running joke on the internet" still finds people who believe that this "game" will come out someday.

By the way, the "cake" is a lie.

Keep it going you crazy diamond.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grimoire, an old-school RPG coming in 1997 1998 2001 2004 2010 2012 Soon ($current_year+1)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Which will come out first: Grimoire or AoD?

What would happen if Grimoire and AoD were released on the same day?

So many questions.....

philosoraptor.jpg

Esquilax

Arcane
commie said:
Which will come out first: Grimoire or AoD?

What would happen if Grimoire and AoD were released on the same day?

Unlike Grimoire, AoD looks like it's going to see a release. When I head over to look at how development has been going, I see actual progress. Compare the level of polish in the screens/animations in the recent video compared to the combat demo released about a year and a half ago. It's a world of difference.

Besides, speaking of delays, weren't you the guy that was supposed to fight Cleve? What's up with that? Don't tell me that the Cleve vs Commie pay-per-view is getting pushed back until both fighters are in perfect condition, I just couldn't bear it.

Ludo

Educated
I demand images of the she-Cleve! I thought he was off women since the ice cream shop girl broke his heart anyway. Then again I also assumed that he was an atheist.
Well, you know what they say about assumptions.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Holy shit. It all makes sense now. Cleve isn't a neanderthal, one of his ancestors fucked a deep one.

Seriously though, if Grimoire ever comes out it could be pretty great. Autists can be extremely dedicated.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Ludo said:
I demand images of the she-Cleve! I thought he was off women since the ice cream shop girl broke his heart anyway. Then again I also assumed that he was an atheist.
Well, you know what they say about assumptions.

She's a dead ringer for the luminiferous ether.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Esquilax said:
Besides, speaking of delays, weren't you the guy that was supposed to fight Cleve? What's up with that? Don't tell me that the Cleve vs Commie pay-per-view is getting pushed back until both fighters are in perfect condition, I just couldn't bear it.

Well that was all dependent on how quickly I could escape from Romania. I haven't forgotten about this, don't worry. Since everyone else is allowed to push back release dates, I can too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom