Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GamePro likes KOTOR II story

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://www.gamepro.com>GamePro</a> has posted a short <a href=http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/games/reviews/40088.shtml>review</a> of <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords>KOTOR II</a>, noting the sameness but praising the story:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Story wise, The Sith Lords is a step up from the original, whose random ramblings covered up a remarkably standard plot. You are the last Jedi alive (the last one not accounted for by the evil Sith, anyway), and as the game begins, you're trying to rediscover your dormant Jedi skills while running from the long arm of the Sith. The main cast is completely different, but characters from the first KOTOR make regular appearances, (something sure to cause veterans to exclaim, "Oh, c'mon, there's no way he became a Republic admiral!").</blockquote>
<br>
Carth "I look like I have something to say" Onasi is an admiral now? Uh... spoilers? :)
<br>
<br>
<br>
Another thanks to <b>coaxmetal</b>

Mendoza

Liturgist
Well it could be Canderous. He had a kind of reflective phase if you spoke to him enough, he's a capable enough commander, and along with Carth and Zaalbar he always survives no matter which path you take. Obviously it's not Zaalbar because nobody would be stupid enough to make a wookie of an admiral of a rubber dinghy, let alone a rebublic fleet.

Seven

Erudite
Mendoza said:
Well it could be Canderous. He had a kind of reflective phase if you spoke to him enough, he's a capable enough commander, and along with Carth and Zaalbar he always survives no matter which path you take. Obviously it's not Zaalbar because nobody would be stupid enough to make a wookie of an admiral of a rubber dinghy, let alone a rebublic fleet.

I managed to kill the walking hairball.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, it could be Canderous, but Carth fits the profile better. Not that anyone cares though.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I'm enjoying it so far. The area where your character wakes up has a lot of substance to it compared to any "dungeon area" in the previous game. Yes, you have amensia, and yes, you don't know what the heck is going on, but you have to piece together what's going on instead of having some guy bluntly telling you everything by yelling in your ear. You spend your time trying to figure out what's up, piecing together the immediate story by gathering logs of dead crew members and such while dealing with a few really interesting characters. It feels a lot like System Shock meets Knights of the Old Republic. Im already digging the influence system, too. It seemingly makes intra-party communication much more meaningful.

Do wait for the PC version, though, as the framerate is indeed shit.

suibhne

Erudite
I don't get the final 7.5 score, as I can't find any indication about how it was determined, but otherwise that 1Up review is pretty good - articulating the apparent downsides better than other reviews, identifying some good sides that other reviews haven't noted, and doing so succinctly. If the review is accurate, I'll probably enjoy the game quite a bit.

Of course, I really should stop reading these damn reviews and content myself with not being able to play it for another three months.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Can't comment on the score but it's amazing how many reviewers are suddenly noticing faults in the original that should have been improved.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Yes, you have amensia,

Nope, how it works is:

The story starts off with just T3 bringing in a crippled Hawk. Your not told how it took damage, but everyone on board is dead or dying. Your guy wakes up onboard the Perguas (sp?) station, but since he has been blacked out, he isn't sure how he woke up there (apposed to the crippled Hawk).

The guy knows exactly who he is and such, but the actual player doesn't, you learn those events as the game goes on.

But I'd like to here more of your non-spolierish thoughts on the game

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Yes, you're right. He's simply out cold during the game's first few events and, therefore, disoriented.

I've just left the game's first area, and it's a doozy. It's really long for being a dungeon area, and I must've gained at least six levels there. As I said before, though, the area feels very substantive for being what it is and is more than just a maze of corridors to dice up droids in.

The characters and dialogue seems strong so far, which is what I was most hoping for going into the game. The character, Kreia, in particular, is definitely going to be a favorite among gamers and Star Wars fans in general. Although the game is very obviously setting itself up for a big, epic story, I'm taking things more seriously this time around. It doesn't feel as forced.

Once my proper party of three was assembled, the influence system kicked in. When interacting with party members, you have to take into account how what you're saying will rub off on them. For instance, being a whiney little... Carth, if you will, around Kreia will likely end up in you losing influence with her. My other party member, Atton, seems to react well to you simply being nice to him and humoring him. I have, unfortunately, not had the chance to converse with these two knuckleheads too deeply, but I intend to, because I find them generally interesting -- not because the game prods me to (which this one doesn't by the way). Another thing I like is that the different characters have abilities unique to them. I don't really want to spoil anything by going into this any further, but it at least gives the different characters personal touches both in and outside of combat.

Misc.: There's lots of new feats and powers -- a particular favorite of mine being combat finnesse, you can now bash open security-locked doors and chests, It's said in the game that, like Vampire Bloodlines, skills other than persuasion affect dialogue options, though I doubt it'll be as deep, and that's about all I can think of.

I like what I see so far. I hope it lasts.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
When is there going to be a sequel that follows the evil ending of the previous game? I want to be able to "Wait a minute, my friend. I have to visit the Unknown Planet once again and stab an old friend to death, alternatively decorate the ship with his innards." That'd be a blast. Hey, RPG Makers: take notes. :lol:

Ah well, at least the story looks like it's solid. Not. Or... ah well, we'll just have to see I guess.

So what are the odds that you're playing Revan once again? :lol:

kumquatq3

Liturgist
When is there going to be a sequel that follows the evil ending of the previous game?

You tell TSL how you beat KotOR1, so it can continue off the DS ending of K1

So what are the odds that you're playing Revan once again?

0%

Your not

suibhne

Erudite
Lasakon said:
It's strange just how negative most of these reviews are yet the game is still getting high ratings.

Strange, but not unexpected: Like Dhruin implied, this is a great test case for the utter stupidity of mainstream reviewers. Most of the reviews are suggesting that this game equals or surpasses its predecessor, yet the reviewers are also suddenly aware of gameplay problems and bugs that they magically didn't notice last year. Ergo....

I find it particularly amusing that the game (apparently) doesn't feature any real amnesia, and the devs have repeatedly pointed this out, but the mainstream reviewers are totally unable to make any distinction between the player's perspective and the character's perspective.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I blame that on the writer. If something is not clear it is the writer's fault. Period.

Just look at many of posts for exmaple.

R00fles!

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Well, I'm pretty dense, so I wouldn't go by me.

The dialogue options clearly spell out that your guy/girl knows his past, serving under Revan and Malak in the Jedi Civil War, which as far as I know, lead him to being exiled from the Jedi order. I suppose playing the game for the first 25 min. or so, you could get confused as to what the situation really is, as I guess, I did..

MY BAD.

Edit: Ah, I think I know what threw me off. Your character has a response to a statement that he/she is a Jedi along the lines of "If you think I'm a Jedi, you're sorely mistaken."

I suppose I took it as meaning, that he didn't know he was a Jedi, but everyone else did. He was referring to his being a Jedi no more, though. Dig?

suibhne

Erudite
dipdipdip said:

I didn't mean to bag on you - sorry if it appeared that way. My frustration is really directed at reviewers, especially the previewers who've been saying for the last 6 months that the character is an amnesiac even when the devs have protested contrariwise.

Jed

Cipher
Gah, as much as I'm loathe to say it--I think I'm actually starting to look forward to this game. I think I'll go back and play through the first one, this time evil. Anyone play the "evil" way through--is it worth it?

Mendoza

Liturgist
Jed said:
Gah, as much as I'm loathe to say it--I think I'm actually starting to look forward to this game. I think I'll go back and play through the first one, this time evil. Anyone play the "evil" way through--is it worth it?

Evil is more fun than good imho. While a lot of the options are simple stealing/bullying, there are a few genuinely evil ones. Don't get rid of Zaalbar, you can really exploit that wookie life debt near the end.

Jed

Cipher
Hmmm...I can't even remember the last game I played eeeevil. Guess I'll have to have some fun, then. Who do I get to corrupt besides Bastilla?

dipdipdip

Liturgist
suibhne said:
dipdipdip said:

I didn't mean to bag on you - sorry if it appeared that way. My frustration is really directed at reviewers, especially the previewers who've been saying for the last 6 months that the character is an amnesiac even when the devs have protested contrariwise.

:lol: I was actually replying to Volourn when the he-she said,

Volourn said:
blame that on the writer. If something is not clear it is the writer's fault. Period.

Just look at many of posts for exmaple."

Jed said:
Hmmm...I can't even remember the last game I played eeeevil. Guess I'll have to have some fun, then. Who do I get to corrupt besides Bastilla?

I only played through the evil "path", and admittedly, I didn't much care for it. However, my two personal favorite scenes in the game are exclusive to the evil path, so maybe it's worth it. They're really nothing big, though.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Jed said:

That's the biggest flaw of the original when it comes to companion interaction, you don't get to corrupt or otherwise have any big influence on any of them. In the end, it all turns out the same, only your alignment matters.

Jed

Cipher
Azael said:
That's the biggest flaw of the original when it comes to companion interaction, you don't get to corrupt or otherwise have any big influence on any of them. In the end, it all turns out the same, only your alignment matters.
So none of them will go evil with me? Damn. That's Bio-harsh... Can I at least sell some of them into slavery?

dipdipdip

Liturgist
There's killing to be done... Won't mention any names.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom