Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review TeamXbox praises KOTOR 2 ... sorta

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://www.teamxbox.com>TeamXbox</a> has posted an entertaining <a href=http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/867/Star-Wars-Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/p1>review</a> of <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords>KOTOR II</a>, praising and criticizing the game equally, noting the deja vu effect. The score is within established and expected "blowjob" parameters - <b>9.2/10</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Lastly, the hybrid of real-time and turn-based combat returns along with the same combat display (HUD) from KotOR. Actions can be executed one at a time or up to three commands can be stored in the Action Que. This is just as accessible as before and allows RPG fans to tackle the game as they see fit. If all out turn-based is more to your liking then the White button will pause the game allowing you to select commands or que actions at your leisure. The main thing to remember is that this is an RPG and so if you’re used to manually performing swings or taking shots with a pistol, this ain’t the game for you. This means that you select actions and the characters perform them based on a turn system. Some folks just can’t enjoy not having full control of a character, but the system actually provides much more power than you’ll ever see in an action game. Regardless, it’s important to know what you’re getting into.</blockquote>
<br>
Thanks for the warning. They should put that as a label on game boxes: <b>Might contain turn-based elements! Danger! Brain explodes!</b>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks for links, <b>coaxmetal</b>

Spazmo

Erudite
Oh, boy, I get to que! I've always wanted to que in a game. Why, I could que all the live long day.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, keep in mind, TeamXBox was THE FALLOUT ENFORCER PIMP SITE, so it's not shocking they don't know the difference between "que" and "queue".

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Spazmo said:
Oh, boy, I get to que! I've always wanted to que in a game. Why, I could que all the live long day.

Hold on a minute there. It's not que, it's queueueu. Queueeu. Qweeqweg. Never mind.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Spazmo said:

Hold on a minute there. It's not que, it's queueueu. Queueeu. Qweeqweg. Never mind.

Qweeqweg? Wasn't he in one of those Wizardry games from back in the day? He was a shopkeeper, right?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Well.. I'd rather que than do whatever BL tries to pass off as combat. <>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Country_Gravy said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Spazmo said:

Qweeqweg? Wasn't he in one of those Wizardry games from back in the day? He was a shopkeeper, right?

Yup, and also one of the two coffee corporations in Deus Ex: Invisible War. I think the other coffee corporation could have been a shopkeeper, too, but the name escapes me.

edit: It's Pequod. I don't think that's from Wizardry. I don't know the reference.

suibhne

Erudite
Queequeg and the Pequod are both from Melville's Moby Dick. You can skip every third chapter, which tends to deal exclusively with historical methods of refining whale blubber, but otherwise it's a great book - as well as a rich source of quotations famously mined by Ricardo Montalban's Khan. :D

chaedwards

Liturgist
Sorry to disagree Suibhne, but you shouldn't miss even the most tiny of chapters in that book - it all adds up to a wonderfully obsessive portrait, and you're missing out if you don't read the whole thing.

Oh, and pay particular attention to chapter 42 - 'the whiteness of the whale' - it's why the answer to life the universe and everything is 42.

Ultron

Liturgist
speaking of Pequod.....

Hey suibhne....there is a great pizza place called Pequod's in Chicago on Clybourn that is the best pan I've ever had. Check it out.....

--please no "whale blubber" jokes--

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
chaedwards said:
Oh, and pay particular attention to chapter 42 - 'the whiteness of the whale' - it's why the answer to life the universe and everything is 42.

Funny thing is, when I use that Douglas Adams' quote, people will be like "Why 42?" to which I simply reply "Read Moby Dick.". I get some of the most comical looks from that. :P

Jed

Cipher
The "historical" chapters are my favorite parts of the book! There's a great parallel in Lem's Solaris that does that too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom