Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News EA has ruined BioWare

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: BioWare

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>According to this <a href="http://www.gamers-corner.co.uk/#/has-ea-ruined-bioware/4551017874">article at Gamer's Corner</a> (The Independent PS3 Gaming Info magazine) reports:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Bioware used to be one of the Old School development houses. A dev team that prided itself on turning out new games as an art form rather than a money making machine. Just like I.D. Software, it's games were "done when they were done". Gamers felt confident that it's products were released "by the gamer for the gamer". Labours of love that really understood the sort of game that the RPG player wanted to play. A Bioware product was the leader in it's field, innovative, deep, lengthy and polished. Did the end of that process begin in 2007 when EA took the to the helm?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Rather than being a pioneer for software quality, it seems that E.A. is a pioneer for business models. There are many common themes with E.A. published games - paid for DLC, pre-order bonuses, special editions, online activation codes etc. All of these are innovations in generating money rather than improving the quality of the game. Methods that increase the money you hand over and reduce the chances of selling the game to the pre-owned market.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Bioware's latest release, Dragon Age 2 included all of these "innovations". It had a signature edition that included "The Exiled Prince" DLC, basically asking you to pay more for DLC that's already on the disk rather than paying even more to download it. The Exiled Prince was available on day one so was obviously created as part of the standard development process and split off to generate more income. The game also came with an online code that enabled The Black Emporium and some items, a thinly veiled attempt to reduce the odds of resale. Bear in mind that these "extras" are nothing of the sort, they were created during the very short 18 month development cycle.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>18 months is not long enough to make a quality RPG, corners had to be cut along the way.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>What do you think? Has the golden era of gaming as an art form been lost forever? Will we ever see old school RPG's again, or are we destined for ever more dumbed down, short life cycle action RPG's?</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Yes, it is all EA's fault. Also The Golden Era of Gaming is now dead. Just FYI.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102659-has-ea-ruined-bioware.html">GameBanshee</a></p>

Multi-headed Cow

Golden era of gaming now is indies getting popular on Steam. Get a larger variety of more interesting games.

And then you get the worst game ever made, which I see they took the video down for it probably because it shows you how amazingly retarded that fucking game is.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/92400/

waywardOne

Arcane
i can't believe no one saw this coming. WHY WEREN'T WE WARNED???!?!!!??!?!?!??!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
18 months is not long enough to make a quality RPG, corners had to be cut along the way.</p>

Bullshit. Most RPG's don't take much more than this to make. Many take far less time without compromising much, if at all: Fallout 2,F:NV took barely a year, Risen, Gothic 2 shit even most of the better Bioware games didn't take 2 years to make. BG2 took less than 2 years to make and it's arguable Bioware's best game.

Corner cutting with DA2 has nothing to do with lack of time. It's all about doing the very least for the lowest price on a franchise that EA was never that enthusiastic about, just to shove some slop in the troth of DA:O fans while concentrating on ME. A neat 'fuck you, have this and enjoy it'.

Zomg

Arbiter
Multi-headed Cow said:
Golden era of gaming now is indies getting popular on Steam. Get a larger variety of more interesting games.

God, they have indie as a genre

everything is ruined forever

Why do I have to be like Cleve, crucified on the painful rightness of my own predictions

Zomg

Arbiter
Zomg said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

God, they have indie as a genre

everything is ruined forever

someone code a steampunk zombie nerdcute version of scorched earth worms and put it on steam oh Christ tower defense metroidvania platformer yesssss

David Gaider LEAD WRITER DRAGON AGE ORIGINS / DRAGON AGE2 said:
We are well aware of what the 4chan folks are up to and they’re [sic] desperation to sound more important/numerous than they are. I mean, is it any wonder that why multiple people have suddenly been running here going “OMG” look at the Metacritic user reviews!” when nobody has ever done that before? Seriously.

Which is too bad, as it certainly makes those with legitimate, constructive criticism harder to pick out amongst the dross. Be that as it may, we will listen to feedback and come to our own conclusions – it will be all the feedback however, and not just that provided by those determined to be the loudest and/or most obnoxious”

ITS NOT EA! IT'S 4CHAN and RPG CODEX.

Gerrard

Arcane
^Are you serious, he really wrote that? God.

Bioware was already a ruin before EA bought them.

^Yup. And here is one (of many) where he blames us

Stage 1: Denial You refuse to accept the presence of X in your beloved game, or any game for that matter, and begin a bitter campaign to convince everyone else that it is the travesty you think it is. If you play the game, you are determined to hate it—and voila! You do! You hang out on RPG Codex.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
If Laidlaw, Gaider and co had gotten more time to work on Dragon Age 2, would that have made the combat any good or the "story" any less shitty? I don't think so. I think most of the things I perceived as horrible in DA2 are things that would have been in the game even if it had gotten twenty years development time. Leave EA alone. This is all BioWare's shit.

Also, if I was on the Mass Effect team I would be pissed off as fuck on the Dragon Age 2 guys.

Achilles

Arcane
People are quick to blame those damn corporate fatcats at EA or Activision for shamelessly milking their customers with DLC, but the truth is that everyone is doing it.

Look at Arrowhead Studios/Paradox with Magicka: they went on record saying that they needed 30,000 sales to be profitable and, if the latest numbers are to be believed, they have sold more than 500,000 units. So what do they do to reward all those people that supported them? They release paid DLC at half the price of the full game.

Besides, if one considers Baldur's Gate 2 as the best game Bioware has ever created (or NWN like Volly), then Bioware has been steadily declining for the best part of the last decade. EA had nothing to do with it.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Multi-headed Cow said:
AHAHAHHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Large variety of shit platformers WELCOME BACK TO EIGHTY FUCKING FIVE

misha

Educated
when I have finished reading this article, one thing came to my mind..
console journalists started to read RPGcodex :smug:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Kaanyrvhok said:
EA is to Bioware what the Spaniards were to the Mayans.

No ( read my sig plz. ). And when Spaniards came there were something actually to destroy, while here... Oh why I bother... :M

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jaesun said:
Bioware used to be one of the Old School development houses. A dev team that prided itself on turning out new games as an art form rather than a money making machine. Just like I.D. Software, it's games were "done when they were done". Gamers felt confident that it's products were released "by the gamer for the gamer". Labours of love that really understood the sort of game that the RPG player wanted to play. A Bioware product was the leader in it's field, innovative, deep, lengthy and polished.
Fucking bullshit.

Bioware was declining the cRPG genre since its first cRPG. R00fles!

MCA
Befuddled Halfling said:
^Yup. And here is one (of many) where he blames us

Stage 1: Denial You refuse to accept the presence of X in your beloved game, or any game for that matter, and begin a bitter campaign to convince everyone else that it is the travesty you think it is. If you play the game, you are determined to hate it—and voila! You do! You hang out on RPG Codex.

Wow, the amount of butthurt in that quote is... wow. It's really ironic that he's the one in denial considering Codex is far from having a consensus on most Bioware games.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stage 1: Denial You refuse to accept any criticism from anyone to your beloved game, or any game for that matter, and begin a bitter campaign to convince everyone else that it is the cumfest you think it is. If you play the game, you are determined to masturbate to it—and voila! You do! You hang out on social.bioware.

Restored to intended content.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
More fellatio on the net. Some people are born balls lickers and they're not even gay.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Actually, what killed Bioware was Bethesda. Everybody expects nothing else than hiking sims on their "rpgs", and Bioware hasn't moved on with what people morons want.

They're stuck in time, recycling the same game over and over again with a slightly different theme slapped over the game.

Black

Arcane
If that's true then hats off to EA, one shitty company less.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
racofer said:
Actually, what killed Bioware was Bethesda. Everybody expects nothing else than hiking sims on their "rpgs", and Bioware hasn't moved on with what people morons want.

They're stuck in time, recycling the same game over and over again with a slightly different theme slapped over the game.

Oh they have moved on allright... Button awesome moved on. :poop: . They even moved so further down from bethesda that now Oblivion looks like incline to the rpgs...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom