Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review CNN: Bard's funny, but not that funny

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bard's Tale (2005); InXile Entertainment

<a href=http://www.cnn.com>CNN</a> has decided to move away from the news business and break into the gaming media industry. The new name <b>GNN</b> - Gaming News Network will be recognized and loved by many Master of Orion fans. Anyway, to show that GNN means business, they've decided to put our beloved <a href=http://www.inxile-entertainment.com>InXile</a> out of business by trashing its remake of the popular RPG <a href=http://www.inxile-entertainment.com/company.html>The Bard's Tale</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>While fun, and funny, the game play is merely average. We've seen these missions and characters many times, and after a while the tasks grow repetitive and tiresome.
<br>
<br>
Graphics are OK, though the top-down perspective isn't the most attractive or helpful way to navigate through a fantasy adventure.
<br>
<br>
Combat is straightforward, but healing oneself can be a pain because it takes three button clicks to conjure a healer.
<br>
<br>
The artificial intelligence is pretty dumb, because players can approach a group of baddies and lure them away one at a time for an easier fight than all at once.</blockquote>
<br>
Interplay's dead (for all intents and purposes), but it's spirit of "crappy console games=tons of money" still lives

suibhne

Erudite
Ap_Jolly said:
Who the fuck are you, and why are you whoring for my attention?

I can't believe you don't recognize me. It hasn't been that long.

suibhne

Erudite
Sarcasm-impaired lately? Buttons easily pushed?

It's fun and all, really, but let's move on.

errorcode

Liturgist
it's pretty shitty review. It's a prettily done game with easy to use controls, so i don't understand where this guy is coming from. The top-down perspective has basically been a staple of action hack and slasher since Gauntlet, so saying it isn't optimal for an action game is kinda retarded.

Is it a great RPG? not really. Is it an enjoyable action game? yeah, easily.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I just want it to come to the PC. The PC's been very lacking in the whole Gauntlet department for years now.

Fez

Erudite
I think most old fans are probably worried they'll see another beloved franchise raped and left for dead.

If it ends up anything like The Fall I expect mass Codex suicides. On the subject of The Fall, I want to say "good call" to the folks here when they predicted it would be shit.

Spazmo

Erudite
Have you played it? Can you offer your thoughts on it more extensively?

Kamaz, all we know is that Fargo owns Wasteland and presumably plans to do something with it. I think I've heard somewhere that he doesn't plan to do an action conversion like he did with Bard's Tale, but we'll see.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom