Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Bloodlines adoration at 3DAvenue

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://www.3davenue.com>3DAvenue</a> also have a <a href=http://www.3davenue.com/index.php?mod=article&id=919>review</a> of Troika's latest. Their verdict: <b>8.5/10</b>.<blockquote>And if most of the game is not spent on moving from one mission to the next, then it is certainly spent on trying to find out what it is you are required to do. Most missions are straight forward, but the occasional mission will leave you frustrated as you run around in circles trying to decrypt the riddle that is the mission description. This is mainly due to the lack of any sort of waypoint or minimap feature in the game, and often the mission descriptions are vague and not detailed enough. When you finally figure out what it is you're meant to be doing, you will feel a little silly for missing it at all, but it could have been totally avoided with perhaps a clearer mission objective system which provided more clues or, god forbid, an easily accessible map which points you in the right direction.</blockquote>I honestly have no idea what he's talking about. The only trouble I ever had knowing what to do next was when I needed to find a bum and he was hidden in complete darkness next to a dumpster. The quest log rarely leaves you wondering what your next move is.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
He's talking about the Malkavian mansion. That puzzle is a bit bugged, and you could say it is fucked up because it is bugged. After you complete one of the 'combinations' (e.g. mind, order, chaos) the puzzle does not reset itself so you'll probably spend a whole lot of time dealing with the next series of combinations.

Mendoza

Liturgist
Exitium said:
He's talking about the Malkavian mansion. That puzzle is a bit bugged, and you could say it is fucked up because it is bugged. After you complete one of the 'combinations' (e.g. mind, order, chaos) the puzzle does not reset itself so you'll probably spend a whole lot of time dealing with the next series of combinations.

What? Both times I've done the Malkavian mansion the candle puzzles seemed to work fine. The second one isn't dependant on the first one in any way.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
He could be refering to the main storyline in Hollywood. All you know are the words Ginger Swans. I talked to just about everyone I could think of (Sin Bin first, which actually made it worse because you could ask the guy about the name, so I thought he must be important in finding out where to go). I even went to the other sections of the game. What REALLY annoyed me about that quest is the fact that I had indeed checked the area where the item is thorougly, but until I talked to the head honcho in Hollywood again it wasn't there. I had a high inspection (of 7) and used Auspex, but only after I talked to him for the second time did it suddenly appear (glowing no less) for me, BS!

I'm not sure what he means about there not being a minimap though, there is a minimap for all the hubs. I guess he just never figured that out, so I can understand that being a little frustrating, though it's his own fault.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
dojoteef said:
I'm not sure what he means about there not being a minimap though, there is a minimap for all the hubs. I guess he just never figured that out, so I can understand that being a little frustrating, though it's his own fault.

Actually, one of the hints early on in the game tells you where the minimaps are. The only thing I haven't seen is a hint telling you about the maps in the sewers, but those are so blatantly obvious it's hard to miss them if you're the least bit observant.

As for the Ginger Swans thing, one of the computers in the internet cafe gives you that info or you could talk to the big wig. I actually liked the fact that's all they gave you to go on. It was a nice break from the hand holding and required using logic. There's one quest where you're told about a person but they don't give you an address, yet when you check your log, the address is magically known to you and there. Riiiiight.

suibhne

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
As for the Ginger Swans thing, one of the computers in the internet cafe gives you that info or you could talk to the big wig. I actually liked the fact that's all they gave you to go on. It was a nice break from the hand holding and required using logic.

The other point, of course, is that you can easily learn Isaac's history and occupation by engaging him in dialogue, so an observant player will already know that it's perfectly natural to ask Isaac about Ginger. Nevermind the fact that he's Baron of Hollywood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom