Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher 2 Preview and Gameplay Videos

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Rock Paper Shotgun got their hands on a Press Build of The Witcher 2 and <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04/14/projekting-hands-on-with-the-witcher-2/#more-57040">wrote a preview</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The prologue is, thankfully, elegantly delivered. Told in flashback form, it sees Geralt explaining the events that led up to the current time. Needless to say, he&rsquo;s a in a bit of a predicament. This pre-story story takes place in the midst of a huge castle siege, which makes for a spectacular backdrop, and at least as spectacular as the Ostagar portions of Dragon Age: Origins.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>It&rsquo;s Chapter One where you begin to see the game open up a bit. Having followed a ruthlessly linear story for the few hours, you are then given access to a village and the surrounding forest. There&rsquo;s quite a lot to explore, and a decent area to roam about in. There are, of course, multiple sidequests, and these are fun, interesting and convincing. Nothing has so far struck me as too ridiculous, in the way that game quests so often do. There&rsquo;s also scope for foraging for herbs, and even collecting other general crafting crap to be carted back to the village and turned into stuff &ndash; assuming you have the formula for doing so. All very much the familiar fantasy ways of doing things, but pleasing to play with. Geralt&rsquo;s inventory is going to become a management game all on its own.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Combat, then. Yes, it&rsquo;s better than the original. It also took me longer to grasp than the original. I was a little surprised that there was nothing more than a tooltip at start of the game to explain what is actually a fairly sophisticated melee system. It feels pleasingly organic, once you have the hang of it, however. Essentially you have a basic ability to do a quick light blow, or a slower heavy blow. You can also hit E to block. These basics allow you to take on any opponent, although selection of that opponent is frankly a bit wobbly. I&rsquo;ll probably get used to it.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>A dude with a sword and shield might always be able to block your hits, but as soon as he takes a swing, he&rsquo;s open to a quick attack. You&rsquo;ll soon become comfortable with that, and start timing your blows accordingly. It&rsquo;s not always possible to block blows, either &ndash; a dude with a big old polearm will beat you to the ground whether you have your sword raised or not. That means you do have to think about positioning. You can roll about with the spacebar to your heart&rsquo;s content, and you will be rolling, too, because the AI, while not perfect, does work hard to flank you, and attacks from behind do significantly more damage. Being flanked by two competent enemies is death. There&rsquo;s also situations where there are bads on all sides, and that can basically be impossible to get out of. (Skills also unlock some other abilities in combat, such as being able to parry in all directions.)</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>What isn&rsquo;t clear from this preview build, is just how flexible core quests are going to be in terms of what you can choose to do. So far I haven&rsquo;t seen much deviation from the linear path, despite chapter one&rsquo;s general openness. While I made radically different choices during one key scene, the outcome was always essentially the same. I am hoping that later chapters will be far more forked and give us genuine choice and consequence. But I guess we&rsquo;ll see.&nbsp;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Destrustoid also had the same Press Build and <a href="http://www.destructoid.com/the-final-preview-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-198746.phtml ">wrote up a preview here</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Instead of having a tiresome chain of events explained to you, the game expects you to figure out what exactly is going on by just dealing with present events and by paying attention to key characters that shed light on the situation at hand. It's a refreshing take on the old narrative structure we've grown accustomed to in RPGs, for sure.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>And finally, Gamespot has also acquired a number of gameplay videos. <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcher2/video/6307656 ">Head over here to see more of them</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>EDIT: For those of you that wish to (or already have) <a href="http://af.gog.com/tw2/?as=1649904300">pre-order the DRM FREE Version of The Witcher 2 on GOG</a>, they have announced you will be able to pre-download for it on May 10th:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Speaking of The Witcher franchise, starting from 10th of May all GOG.com users who want to buy the highly anticipated sequel to Geralt&rsquo;s adventures, will have the opportunity to pre-purchase the game and pre-download almost all of it, so on May 17 when the game is released, they can play it almost instantly! Thanks to the brand new GOG.com downloader the pre-download will go fast and easy.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Pro Tip: The Witcher 2 preorder offer on GOG.com ends on the 16th of May at 5:59 p.m. EDT, so anyone who wants to take advantage of the incredible preorder offer should make a point to <a href="http://af.gog.com/tw2/?as=1649904300">visit the pre-order page</a> before then and snag their copy of the game. Also note that if you&rsquo;ve preordered The Witcher 2 from GOG.com, you will have until the end of May to purchase the game and receive all of the preorder goodies, so don&rsquo;t forget!</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Phelot

Arcane
A dude with a sword and shield might always be able to block your hits, but as soon as he takes a swing, he’s open to a quick attack. You’ll soon become comfortable with that, and start timing your blows accordingly. It’s not always possible to block blows, either – a dude with a big old polearm will beat you to the ground whether you have your sword raised or not. That means you do have to think about positioning. You can roll about with the spacebar to your heart’s content, and you will be rolling, too, because the AI, while not perfect, does work hard to flank you, and attacks from behind do significantly more damage. Being flanked by two competent enemies is death. There’s also situations where there are bads on all sides, and that can basically be impossible to get out of. (Skills also unlock some other abilities in combat, such as being able to parry in all directions.)

This sounds pretty good actually.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
combat looks like shit in the videos and it sounds like it has fake C&C. hmmmmm.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Funny.

Reviewer at Destructoid claims that the combat is "far easier" than in TW1 (he must have found combat in TW1 very hard...) and that you just hack and slash, and also that C&C is very good (and gives an example of a small C&C).
Reviewer at RPS claims that the combat is more developed, and also that he didn't notice any different consequences (I suspect that the he doesn't know that the consequences appear after some time, and he just reloaded shortly after making the choice).

ortucis

Prophet
Volken said:
It's an early preview build. What's so shitty about combat anyway?

Well, obviously, PC gamers are used to superior combat... bwahahaha.. I am sorry I have no idea what's shitty about it myself. :lol:

Also..

I looked back on my experience with Dragon Age II afterwards, and BioWare's fantasy RPG now feels like it's in almost every way a mere toddler in the shadow of The Witcher 2. That's not to say DA II sucked, but a single village in The Witcher 2 already has more personality than all of Kirkwall.

M:

aries202

Erudite
If you watch the combat in the presented TW2 videos, you'll learn that yu 'press a button and then something awesome happens'. As it was in TW1, combat in TW2 is apparently action-oriented, sword-swinging (pure) awesomeness. And it does also seem more responsive than the combat in TW1.

ortucis

Prophet
Combat screenshot..

ss-0841-noscale.jpg

Phelot

Arcane
ortucis said:
Combat screenshot..

ss-0841-noscale.jpg

OH LAWDY!

Ugh... the combat vids look like DA2 combat...

I don't know why I keep hoping this will be like Blade of Darkness.

Are there any videos of the difficult combat the one reviewer mentions where you have to use special tactics based on what the opponent is using? I'm starting not to believe it...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
at least as spectacular as the Ostagar portions of Dragon Age: Origins.
So, at least is shit?

I liked Dragon Age 1, but AFTER Ostagar. Was supposed to have an massive army there, but you only talk to 5 NPCs and watch a cutscene. The only cool part was crossing the bridge, and that took 10 seconds.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Destructoid said:
I looked back on my experience with Dragon Age II afterwards, and BioWare's fantasy RPG now feels like it's in almost every way a mere toddler in the shadow of The Witcher 2. That's not to say DA II sucked, but a single village in The Witcher 2 already has more personality than all of Kirkwall.

Destructoid said:
Dragon Age II :
Score: 7 -- Good (7s are solid games that definitely have an audience. Might lack replay value, could be too short or there are some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.)

So let's say Wiedźmin 2 has 6 villages.
6x7 = 42, hence we can safely say Destructoid will rate the review version 40 on a scale to 10. Deduct 5 points for bugs and 15 for lack of bribes, and we're somewhere around a final review score of 20/10, which should still please the potatopeople at CDP.

Q.E.D.

Volken

Scholar
villain of the story said:
Volken said:
It's an early preview build.

If only I had a bullet for everytime I heard this bullshit excuse.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. On the other hand, accusing a game of fake C&C based on early preview and limited info is total bullshit.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Volken said:
villain of the story said:
Volken said:
It's an early preview build.

If only I had a bullet for everytime I heard this bullshit excuse.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. On the other hand, accusing a game of fake C&C based on early preview and limited info is total bullshit.
If you are referring to what I wrote I suggest you read it again.

"it sounds like" being the part I think you missed.

The Witcher sucked huge fucking shitballs. It's only fair that the sequel is seen through very critical eyes until proven wrong rather than the other way around. Especially with how much the devs are hyping it up to be like the best RPG experience ever.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm not going to prejudge it. But it is going to have to significantly improve on character progression and C&C -- and I don't just mean concept art cutscenes. If the game is full of things like the murder investigation where your actions, talents, and things you've read have a bearing on the resolution and there is actually a trade-off/choices to be made in specializing a character then I'll give the game its due. Things like the consolized inventory don't really bother me... I just want to see some solid RPG elements in this RPG.

Volken

Scholar
Zed said:
The Witcher sucked huge fucking shitballs. It's only fair that the sequel is seen through very critical eyes until proven wrong rather than the other way around. Especially with how much the devs are hyping it up to be like the best RPG experience ever.

No shit, every dev is hyping up his game. According to you seeing something through "critical eyes" is equal to trying too hard raging about it just for the sake of raging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom