Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 2 - Cinematic Trailer

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

<p>There's a cinematic trailer of <strong>Risen 2: Dark Waters</strong> available at IGN. <a href="http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/04/12/risen-2-dark-waters-cinematic-trailer" target="_blank">Watch it here</a>. Note how this one guy uses voodoo in the end.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Thanks to <span class="postbody">TheSHEEEP.</span></em></p>

CGI trailer meh, though I suppose the art style will be same in the game will be major major :incline:

IGN tard gonna tard though

The first Risen was one of the worst games I ever played. In fact... it's one of the very few games I never finished...
Derp
Risen was ok. There was only one complaint that I always had of it though. I couldn't figure out where to go. A lot of the missions I had to use a game guide to just get to it. Hopefully they'll fix that and the game will be good.
Rpg's are teh hard.

baronjohn

Cipher
interest rising

interest rising

interest rising

interest rising

"XBox360 Playstation 3 PC"

interest = zero

kofeur

Liturgist
Risen didn't lose its PC roots and there's no level scaling! :incline:

ortucis said:
baronjohn said:

interest = zero

Risen was also multiplatform. On PC it looked and worked just fine.

Quite a few good old rpg's where available on consoles so there is nothing inherently bad about making a console port for the game. As long as they focus mainly on the PC and it's capabilities and then make a console port it should be fine, unlike other multi plat form games these days which are made for the console and then ported to the PC.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Merkwürdigliebe said:
ortucis said:
baronjohn said:

interest = zero

Risen was also multiplatform. On PC it looked and worked just fine.

Quite a few good old rpg's where available on consoles so there is nothing inherently bad about making a console port for the game. As long as they focus mainly on the PC and it's capabilities and then make a console port it should be fine, unlike other multi plat form games these days which are made for the console and then ported to the PC.
The first one was built as a PC game from the start and (poorly) ported to the 360. This time it's fully multiplatform:
And speaking of smart, after learning a hard lesson with Risen (trying to port the PC version over to console with not enough time or resources and ending up with, well, a mess), Deep Silver's taking its time with Risen 2, to make a version specifically for the console. Even better, they're adopting the console controls to the PC version since public feedback told them that console gamers are often confused by PC controls while PC gamers don't mind using the console ones.
This is also partly why they've split it up into three smaller islands.

Coyote

Arcane
Roguey said:
And speaking of smart, after learning a hard lesson with Risen (trying to port the PC version over to console with not enough time or resources and ending up with, well, a mess), Deep Silver's taking its time with Risen 2, to make a version specifically for the console. Even better, they're adopting the console controls to the PC version since public feedback told them that console gamers are often confused by PC controls while PC gamers don't mind using the console ones.

:rage: :x :mob:

Also, there's that Jedi mind trick again. "Even better". Just like that article about Skyrim that said "Some good news: 'Mysticism' is gone".

MCA
Uninteresting. Something that annoys me about trailers is showing feats or abilities that you can't have in the game. It's very unlikely that swift disarming arm lock won't be in the game, as cool as it is.

Does not compute. Size of the landmass usually has no bearing on the system unless the settlements are huge and the view distance is extreme and we know they aren't.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
i'm reading that as "Deep Silver (and not Piranha Bytes) is making a special console version instead of porting the pc version"

98o07.jpg

... bummer about the controls though

ortucis

Prophet
villain of the story said:

Does not compute. Size of the landmass usually has no bearing on the system unless the settlements are huge and the view distance is extreme and we know they aren't.

I don't mind splitting up the world like this. I am expecting a lot of content on every island so I will probably visit another when I am bored with the one I am pillaging.

In FABLE: TLC, despite the small size of the maps, they managed to make the towns look surprisingly populated back then. And in Gothic 3 every settlement had a lot of quests and population as well.

As long as there is content..

Luzur

Good Sir
Risen was ok. There was only one complaint that I always had of it though. I couldn't figure out where to go. A lot of the missions I had to use a game guide to just get to it. Hopefully they'll fix that and the game will be good.

just that is a good sign things are inclining.

poetic codex

Augur
You know, for people who actually grew up in the Caribbean, games like this, and movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, take on a very different meaning.

It's all laughable.They're using hollywood voodoo , and silly pirate stereotypes. These are based more on hollywood tradition, as opposed to historical fact. Little do they know that truth is more exciting than fiction.

ortucis

Prophet
poetic codex said:
Little do they know that truth is more exciting than fiction.

Yeah, I want the realistic Somali pirate version. Now THAT'S one exciting life we all dream of living. Well, not all of us.. actually maybe Andhaira only.

Coyote

Arcane
poetic codex said:
You know, for people who actually grew up in the Caribbean, games like this, and movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, take on a very different meaning.

It's all laughable.They're using hollywood voodoo , and silly pirate stereotypes. These are based more on hollywood tradition, as opposed to historical fact. Little do they know that truth is more exciting than fiction.

Ever play Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers? They did a pretty good job of accurately representing voodoo (at least the New Orleans brand of voodoo) in that game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
poetic codex said:

Who fucking cares?
It's a game, a RPG, not a simulation.

But speaking of it, a somehow more realistic approach to the pirate theme in a more simulation-like game would probably be interesting. I'm thinking of Mount & Blade... just with ships and docks instead of large plains and more small battles instead of huge ones with hundreds of people. Those should be rather rare.
Could be fun.

Morkar Left

thesheeep said:
poetic codex said:

Who fucking cares?

But speaking of it, a somehow more realistic approach to the pirate theme in a more simulation-like game would probably be interesting. I'm thinking of Mount & Blade... just with ships and docks instead of large plains and more small battles instead of huge ones with hundreds of people. Those should be rather rare.
Could be fun.

Akellas Pirates of the Caribbean with New Horizons mod or City of abandoned ships fits the description nicely.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
villain of the story said:

That's seemingly what they told this guy:
The biggest change in the franchise might be found behind the scenes, and not in the actual gameplay. The Xbox 360 version of Risen was a port of the PC game, and a poor one at that. The developers are the first to admit it, and where most ports of titles are developed in tandem with the primary platform development, the original Risen was given a measly six months to develop the 360 version. The result was a glitch-filled game with substandard graphics, and numerous technical issues. Risen 2: Deep Waters is being developed for both consoles and the PC, and certain changes have been made with the console development in mind.

The most noticeable difference between the original and the sequel is the change from a single island to a series of islands. The game should be the same size as the original, if not bigger, but with multiple islands the console version can have time to lead each new area, which makes the game much easier to develop for.

Morkar said:
thesheeep said:
poetic codex said:

Who fucking cares?

Could be fun.

Akellas Pirates of the Caribbean with New Horizons mod or City of abandoned ships fits the description nicely.

City of Abandoned Ships fits the bill pretty well, although the game is a bit on the mediocre side.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom