Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence April Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

<p>Oscar posted a <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2010.0.html" target="_blank">development update</a> on the ITS forums concerning the current state of <strong>Age of Decadence</strong>.</p>
<p>Well, at least they pretend to be busy.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Welcome to the first (but not last) monthly update for AoD! I'm pretty sure you have been asking yourselves "What are these lazy bastards doing?", so yesterday I thought that we should give you an update every month to show that we are not fucking around and we are committed to release this game.<br /><br />The plan is to release a demo as soon as possible, with all the features of the full game. So let me tell you about what we have been doing in the past months:<br /><br />We are implementing all combat related actions, effects and animations. That includes:<br /><br />- Acids<br />- Bombs<br />- Flurry of Daggers<br />- Repeating Crossbow Burst<br />- Impale<br />- Brutal Deaths<br />- Bolas<br />- Liquid Fire<br />- Shield Bash<br /><br />Most of them are fully implemented (we are working on liquid fire and shield bash right now), and some need some tweaking on the visual department (bombs and acid particles, mostly).<br /><br />We also added some nice visual improvements to the combat, like opponents being pushed back by the spear interrupts instead of walking backwards, and blood splashes on the terrain for very damaging attacks.<br /><br />Apart from that, we made lots of improvements to the performance of the game (as you saw on the update I posted), and we did a huge performance improvement of the NPCs. Right now are killing the loading screens in Teron, so that you get a more seamless experience. Also Vince is working on adding more options to the quests, and also on flavor text and descriptions to spice up the game. We also have some news on the GUI and ending slides, but we'll share them later with some nice pics.<br /><br />Once we are done with the combat improvements, we are making a small video to show them to you.</p>
</blockquote>

Gay-Lussac said:
Age of Decandence

Age of DecaNdence

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS :x

There'd better be a damn good 'Decanter' trade/guild, where you build instruments to decant wine if the cork gets pushed through too far, and try to dominate the decanter market, or I'm not buying.

MCA
Apart from that, we made lots of improvements to the performance of the game (as you saw on the update I posted), and we did a huge performance improvement of the NPCs. Right now are killing the loading screens in Teron, so that you get a more seamless experience.

This reminded me of Konung and Konung 2. Those games also have many dialogues, some amount of C&C, lots of game objects on screen, large maps without any waiting time between, persistent world with object references, albeit completely 2D. Running the game and loading your save takes like a second. Despite abysimal, horrible design of the games, performance is incredible. I haven't seen such a smooth working RPG *ever*. Somehow, those Russians produce programming geniuses but still make shit games. I wonder how Konung 3 (this time, they went 3D) fares.

waywardOne

Arcane
they should've gone with 5 weapon types max and brought the rest in via DLC!

hoverdog said:
and blood splashes on the terrain for very damaging attacks.

AGE OF DRAGON AGE :x

I'll be very disappointed if the game's box version doesn't come with a manual that makes very very clear what the hotkey is for the 'something awesome happens' button.

Just kidding. I don't really care about the manual, so long as it has a good ingame settings menu showing what the right button to mash.

Deleted member 7219

If Eschalon is on Steam, AoD should be too. Apparently the developers get a very good share of the profits and it is a great way to make it known to a wider audience.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Matt7895 said:
Apparently the developers get a very good share of the profits

They do? I've been dying to know what percentage a dev gets to keep of a title priced on STEAM. Can you give me that number?

Actually if VD has ever approached STEAM and has gotten what that particular percentage is, I'd love to hear it. Or if he can'r mention it publicly, it would be neat if he "accidently" PM'ed me that percentage. Accidents happen sometime...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Never approached anyone. If I do, I'll let you know.

Edit:

http://steamreview.org/posts/finances/

“Revenue sharing with developers under the Steam system is 60/40 (developer/Valve).”

"Profit margins for developers are a major selling point for digital distribution, and Steam does not let the side down. I’m pleased to say that there are now figures as accurate as possible for each margin: 10%-20% for traditional retail/publisher deals; roughly 60% for Steam developers (2011 update: this has now gone up to 70%); and an incredible 86% for Valve themselves. Add to that the fact that Valve doesn’t take the developer’s IP and the effective margin becomes wider still."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thank you for that find Vault Dweller! :salute:

That is quite fascinating honestly, compared to traditional retail pricing and profit margins... I'm honestly shocked by that.

I would love to know how accurate that is though...

It seems like half the point for these guys to make this game is to talk about what it's going to be like on a message board.

MapMan

Arcane
Yeah, valve makes great deals with game developers. No wonder there are more and more "steam exclusive" games.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Welcome to the 762nd Monthly update. At the moment Vince is remodeling the font for the dialogue wheel while the rest of us are re-texturing the NPC sandals to a slightly lighter shade of sepia......

Silellak

Cipher
Jaesun said:
Thank you for that find Vault Dweller! :salute:

That is quite fascinating honestly, compared to traditional retail pricing and profit margins... I'm honestly shocked by that.

I would love to know how accurate that is though...
Yeah, and it's no wonder so many independent developers are making stuff for the iOS/Android platforms...I believe the split is 70/30 for both the App Store and the Android Market. Even better than Steam.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Is there some stipulation that a deal with Valve precludes any release on other online retail channels? What's it like on Direct2Drive or Impulse?

Anyways, here's hoping for the game's launch soon, ideally this year, and keep us posted of the game's development.

Baron

Arcane
AoD will be a lovingly hand crafted gentleman's accessory inscribed with tiny Ultima runes and blood diamonds. But, despite their rhetoric to the contrary, too many Codexians want shitty Chinese made DA2 knockoffs with a Hello Kitty faceplate and unlimited achievements.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
zelda64whatagreatgame said:
Nick:

facts: programmer.

interests: programming.

Oscar:

The loveable rascal.

interests: Cuban salsa dancing

Fixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom