Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Piranha Bytes Interview and the Gothic rights

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Piranha Bytes

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Mike Hoge, one of the four co-founders of Piranha Bytes <a href="http://www.gothicz.net/serie-gothic/mike-hoge-talks-about-gothic/">had a chat with Gothicz.Net</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Gothicz.net: At that time you and the other guys were working on the story. Could you shortly describe the origin of the story? What of its part comes from your head?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Mike: I designed the whole story of Gothic 1. We were of course several dialogue writers but all of the guilds, background, setting and most of the main characters came from me. It took 3 years to get that all together and I have applied major changes to the main plot even 4 months before the goldmaster.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>Gothicz.net: When Gothic 1 was released, was the game completely according to your vision, or you could use some additional time to finish what you wanted?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Mike: It is never enough. Apart from that, I think Gothic 1 could have used more polishing in the camps dialogues during the last parts of the game. People were still talking the same crap as they were doing in the beginning of the game and the hero could pick choices like "Hi! I'm new here..." in the 6th chapter. That was crap.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Oh, yes, and there were the 4 Frineds of the Hero, which were supposed to have a secret meeting later in the game which never occured becauce we had no more time. Other than that (an a coouple of bugs) I'm quite satisfied with our first work.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>Gothicz.net: What RPG games were your inspiration during the development of Gothic? What RPGs had you played before Gothic?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Mike: Ultima 6, 7 Dungeon Master and the like. Practically everything I could lay my hands on. I do it today, in spite of having a family. Sometines I go to "Do Not Disturb Mode" to enjoy games like Fallout 3.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I guess I can forgive Mike for the Fallout 3 mention, becuse he is a fellow Ultima BRO... But more interesting was this little bit of info:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Gothicz.net: Mike, last question. If you had a chance to win the rights for Gothic back, would you consider it? Is there a possibility, that you ever develop another Gothic?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Mike: We get the rights to Gothic back when we have finished Risen 2. Why? Because we did only sell them to our ex-publisher for a certain amount of time ;)</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Interesting. If you are a fan of the Gothic series, don't miss out on this rather good and informative interview at&nbsp;<a href="http://www.gothicz.net/serie-gothic/mike-hoge-talks-about-gothic/">Gothicz.Net</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gothicz.net/serie-gothic/mike-hoge-talks-about-gothic/">Gothicz.Net</a></p>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hilarious considering allt he fanboys cried about how the rigths were 'stolen' from the creators when in reality it seems that the creators 'sold out'. I have no problemsm but the crying here was hysterical.

Morkar Left

I would totally appreciate a Gothic 1 + 2 remake with the new engine (if climbing is in).

ortucis

Prophet
Gothic name is now ruined thanks to Gothic 4 in the eyes of broader audience. They will most likely focus on new IP like Risen only instead of going back to Gothic anytime soon.

Micmu

Magister
It's way too late now, anyway. Gothic's corpse is raped beyond recognition...
It's done.
New IP.

Morkar Left

Jaesun said:

I'm a bit confused here. Fall of Setarrif is already finished I thought. This doesn't match with "We get the rights to Gothic back when we have finished Risen 2. Why? Because we did only sell them to our ex-publisher for a certain amount of time". Maybe It's another legal thing because Jowood is going into insolvency.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Risen IS basically Gothic except for the name, even them getting the rights to Gothic again, what would they do with it?

Morkar said:
Jaesun said:

I'm a bit confused here. Fall of Setarrif is already finished I thought. This doesn't match with "We get the rights to Gothic back when we have finished Risen 2. Why? Because we did only sell them to our ex-publisher for a certain amount of time". Maybe It's another legal thing because Jowood is going into insolvency.

Yeah it is either because PB got the Gothic right's back, or JoWood is going into insolvency.. Maybe there is also some other legal crap as well with Arcania?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
ortucis said:
Gothic name is now ruined thanks to Gothic 4 in the eyes of broader audience. They will most likely focus on new IP like Risen only instead of going back to Gothic anytime soon.

I dunno, man. Gothic 3 and Gothic 4 certainly dinted it but give it time and it might come back. Not to mention, they're taking Risen in a whole new direction with Risen 2. Risen was a lot more similar to Gothic than Risen 2 will be. If they want to make new Gothics, it makes a lot of sense to change the direction of the Risen franchise.

Jaesun said:
Yeah it is either because PB got the Gothic right's back, or JoWood is going into insolvency.. Maybe there is also some other legal crap as well with Arcania?

It's the insolvency. One of the debtors is holding them over the barrel in order to divvy up all assets. That's how it goes.

Morkar Left

ortucis said:

That's why I think a remake of gothic would make sense. Getting trust back and a new audience. Plus they can merge the two settings together again. Like Jaesun wrote before me; it's basically the same setting without specific references. Easy to bring both together again.

kofeur

Liturgist
They could still reboot the Gothic series and take it from there...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
kofeur said:
They could still reboot the Gothic series and take it from there...

Agreed. A NEW Gothic setting/reboot AND the Risen series == WIN WIN. I'd totally be playing both.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Brother None said:
ortucis said:

I dunno, man. Gothic 3 and Gothic 4 certainly dinted it but give it time and it might come back.

The "broad audience" never played any of them. The idea that anything can ruin the "good name" of a piece of shit series only a handful of people play is laughable.

Brother None said:
It's the insolvency. One of the debtors is holding them over the barrel in order to divvy up all assets. That's how it goes.

A moment of silence for JoWood.

Nah. Good riddance.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
A new 'true' Gothic game by Piranha Bytes folks would do well (for a true CRPG). The target audience is savvy enough to know that Gothic 4 is an aberration. And while Fallout 3 isn't ideal, he probably likes it because it does a pretty good job of 'open world' exploration.

Morkar said:
I would totally appreciate a Gothic 1 + 2 remake with the new engine (if climbing is in).

I wouldn't want them to spend their time on that. Certainly not a Gothic 2 port/renewal. Maybe Gothic 1 if they went back and redid a few things and add some of the content they left out and sell it for ~$20 as a digital download to garner interest/publicity for future projects but a straight up renewal? I wouldn't be that interested.

mm1.jpg

Mastermind said:
laughable

:smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Brother None said:
Jaesun said:

Ahh thanks BN.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
Risen IS basically Gothic except for the name, even them getting the rights to Gothic again, what would they do with it?

Have you seen the original storyboards for Risen? It actually has Nameless and Xardas entering the Risen world through a portal!

Morkar said:
Jaesun said:

[/quote]

Well maybe the 'length of time' was meant to be TWO games as I've heard mentioned in the past. The confusion over Setariff could be due to Jewood considering an expansion as not being a separate game whereas it is actually the third non-PB Gothic product released. The insolvency thing wouldn't help either but I think that might be a separate issue with the same effect.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
In any event it isn't as if JoWood is in a position to develop/publish much of anything at this point. Push comes to shove the creditors would probably just force them to part with the IP for any cash considerations they could get if it hasn't/doesn't revert to PB.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Nice interview. I loved reading his thoughts on design of the first Gothic, f.e.:

Every camp should have had their way of supporting themselves with food, the old camp would exchange ore with the outside world, the sect camp would trade their drugs for food with the other camps (those guys didin't eat much anyway, because they were high all the time) and the new camp would grow their own food. I tried to find different ways to do things for each camp.

Then I thought about what food the new camp should grow, and I thought that rice terraces would be the best approach beacause the plants were not so difficult to display like e.g. a wheat field would have been and you could have a massive dam for the water supply. I addition, the dam made the otherwise kind of small new camp look bigger.
A game designer who wants to create worlds that make a bit of sense instead of throwing all the random stuff he believes to be cool?
:love:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That part about Gothic not breaking even until 2 and not making a profit until Night of the Raven was depressing. Oh well. I hope their new non-fantasy series is interesting, I agree with him about their needing a break from that after Risen 2. Let time heal the wounds of Arcania.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Stalin said:
Jaesun said:
sell them to EA

That would be unwise. EA would turn right around and sue Piranha Bytes for copyright infringement because Risen is too similar to Gothic.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Gothicz.net: In the german version of G1 there is this In Extremo show. Who came with this idea? Is there a possibility, that you use this feature in any your future game again? Because let's admit that it was a great idea.

Mike: The idea was Tom Putzki's. He was responsible for our whole internal PR and marketing and he knew the guys from a concert he went to. The idea was indeed great. With modern technology, you regrettably would have to put a much bigger effort (more money (lots and lots of it) to it than "back in the day...")
What's this "In Extremo" thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom