Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Forgotten Revolution of Fallout

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout

<p>Ian Miles Cheong, a.k.a. Sol Invictus, a.k.a. Rex Exitium, published a piece called <a href="http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/1661/article/the-forgotten-revolution-of-fallout/" target="_blank"><em>The Forgotten Revolution of Fallout</em></a> over at gameranx.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Designed by Interplay and released in 1997, Fallout comes to mind as exemplary of this concept. Created more than a decade before Dragon Age saw the light of day, Fallout laid much of the groundwork from which modern RPGs are built. Fallout is richly engrossing and exceedingly deep, and creates a world that the player defines. Simply put, Fallout offers choices. A lot of them.<br /><br />Set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland--one where survivors sift through cans of expired food just to stay alive--these weakened people have banded together to create society and order once more, but they are threatened. Raiders, intent on violence, roam the wasteland for hapless prey and threaten to upset the resurgence of civilization.<br /><br />The game highlights this conflict when Tandi, the adolescent daughter of Aradesh, leader of the wasteland town of Shady Sands, is kidnapped by one such group--the Khans.<br /><br />Helpless and vulnerable, Aradesh needs someone to save Tandi, and the player happens to be there. A decision must be made, and the player can save her or ignore the opportunity completely. The latter would not yield a positive outcome, of course. The player will be expelled from town by Aradesh, and unspeakable things will happen to Tandi, but it is an option, nonetheless. She can be saved out of a sense of justice, or ignored if the player wishes to be more of a mercenary, and use the opportunity to earn a few bottlecaps.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>The article terribly reminds me of <a href="http://hellmode.com/2010/06/11/fallouts-forgotten-revolution/" target="_blank">this one</a>, published on Hellmode a while ago. Recycling articles like this seems like a pretty efficient approach. We can all learn a lot from Sol/Rex/Ian.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102255-the-forgotten-revolution-of-fallout.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

4too

Arcane
Propaganda 101

Propaganda 101

VentilatorOfDoom said:
... The article terribly reminds me of this one, published on Hellmode a while ago. Recycling articles like this seems like a pretty efficient approach. We can all learn a lot from Sol/Rex/Ian.

'Recycling' :D or repeating for emphasis ;), inquiring memes want to know!

Teh Lone Voice from the interwb I.M. Cheong said:
If anything, Fallout is a forgotten revolution, and it’s about time that someone else picked up the torch. After so many false revolutions, the genre deserves a new champion.
Times 2 true enough there.

Oh well , ... perhaps this is the base marketing / propaganda ploy that if one repeats a conceptual frame often and long enough over time t, especially on prime time media 'Quality t',
that world view will be deemed 'true'.

Or, a lone drum beat in the wilderness. :salute:

4too

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
When I first played Fallout, the Water Caravan in The Hub blew my mind. I thought I was being a genius, sending water, buying some time; but then the mutants tracked the caravans and found out where the Vault was!

You don't see that kind of thing today, an even when you see, is so baldy implemented people just reload the game and choose another path. Fallout hid the truth from you until it was too late, if you wanted to see the other choices, you had to replay it.

Derper

Prophet
This is a thread with both 4too and Miles "In my defence" Exitium, and you dare defile it with talk about petty games? For shame, Codex, for shame!

Let the drama begin!

I'll start: Everyone in this thread is a chink?

Stalin

Scholar
0406-charlie-sheen-tattoos-splash-credit.jpg

Ookla

Novice
Didn't someone create a website/blog making fun of Sol/rex awhile ago? All I remember of it was It was funny as hell and right up there with the "Plane tickets bitch" Thread.

Sorry for the derail. Sol Invictus will allway's have that Dawn of war avatar and purge the heretics with his flamer of flip/flops +1

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
felipepepe said:
When I first played Fallout, the Water Caravan in The Hub blew my mind. I thought I was being a genius, sending water, buying some time; but then the mutants tracked the caravans and found out where the Vault was.
Yeah, it's too bad a lot of players bitched about the 2nd time limit for stopping the mutants, causing Interplay to remove it in the patch, making the consequence of using the water merchants nonexistent. :(

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Fat Dragon said:
felipepepe said:
When I first played Fallout, the Water Caravan in The Hub blew my mind. I thought I was being a genius, sending water, buying some time; but then the mutants tracked the caravans and found out where the Vault was.
Yeah, it's too bad a lot of players bitched about the 2nd time limit for stopping the mutants, causing Interplay to remove it in the patch, making the consequence of using the water merchants nonexistent. :(
I only got internet access at home around 2001, so no harm done to my game. Although my Fallout 2 crashed like hell unpatched.

Fat Dragon said:
felipepepe said:

That always struck me as a clumsy fix, albeit a more suitable fix may have required too much time/cost. They should have given some way of conveying where the mutant army was reaching, and how far away from the vault they are - simply giving the player a bit more control and ability to plan would have satisfied a lot of players who felt like the 2nd time limit was sprung upon them from nowhere, without removing it. News vendors in each town spreading their reactions to refugees arriving with news of the mutant army destroying towns would provided a good ingame warning, and after the vault-dweller first encounters a news report, he could get a counter listing the days until the mutant army reaches the Vault. Gives the player opportunity to plan while keeping a nexus with what the character knows.

Ideally, you'd add to that a selection of difficulty levels that keep all the mechanics the same, but change the time limits for water running out and the mutants reaching the various towns (call it 'urgency', and refer to the water count and quest timers in general, so new players aren't spoilt).

Stalin

Scholar
Strange seems like Ian Miles Cheong, a.k.a. Sol Invictus, a.k.a. Rex Exitium a.k.a. Ching Chong has written himself into the credits for Lionheart http://www.rpgcodex.net/gamedetails.php?id=25. I am watching the credits roll atm and he is no there meanwhile Saint Proverbius is thanked for having "extremely tight anus"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom