Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Bloodlines reviewed at Computer and Video Games

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>C&VG</a> have put together a <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/reviews/reviews_story.php(que)id=112106>review</a> of Troika's Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. The review is largely positive with a final rating of <b>8.7 out of 10</b>.<blockquote>Perhaps Bloodline's strongest attribute - along with its irresistible charm and ocean-deep immersion - is its script. Rarely has a game so masterfully told a tale, so convincingly portrayed characters and so accurately provided them with such lifelike personalities and dialogue. But the script's strengths don't stop there. Turn on a radio and listen to the hilarious radio show phone ins and commercial breaks, or flick on a nearby TV and watch as the news reader reports major events that have taken place in LA - most if not all linked to your actions - and you'll see just how much detail and thought has gone into creating a believable, captivating world and story.</blockquote>Indeed, the news station--much like the newspaper in Arcanum's Tarant--is a brilliant game element.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
When I first started in my apartment and turned on the TV only to hear about port authorities finding the abandoned ship Elizabeth Dane, I was like "Sweeeet. Someone at Troika is a Carpenter fan." ;)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I don't get the reference, Otaku. Please explain.

It's from John Carpenter's The Fog. Remember that townsfolk believe the town had been founded when gold was recovered from a clipper ship? The ship was called The Elizabeth Dane, and it had crashed in the fog something like a century ago.

EDIT: Don't beat me to it, bitch!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"most if not all linked to your actions"

This is both good and bad. Good 9actually great) that you get to how your actions effect the game world. Bad, because it gives the illusion that the only (or almost anything) of note that occurs in said game world is resultant of your actions.

Hmm..

Just to point out, I'm not bashing it for this as it sounds cool; but its not without its weaknesses.

Don't beat me to it, bitch!"

R00fles!

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
Bad, because it gives the illusion that the only (or almost anything) of note that occurs in said game world is resultant of your actions.

Actually there are other things reported as well. Some of them, like the reference I pointed out above, are just hats off to certain things. But there are other announcements about things happening that you can actually become a part of. Like the serial murders happening throughout LA.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Like I said, quoting the article, most things in the tele are absed around what the PC is doing. I'm pointing out it shohld be a lot more extra than that. Still, the concept is very nice and I can't wait to see it in action. Just sayin' that the PC while the focus of the game shouldn't neccessarily the focus of the game world espicially in the beginning when you are unknown totally.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I think you misunderstood me. There is alot of newscasts about things going on that you weren't a part of BUT you can get involved in if you seek them out. To me, that makes things even better in enhancing the feel of being part of an actual living world. :)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
He says most if not all, but that's not exactly true. It's not like you turn on a TV and see one newscast. You can sit there and watch for awhile. It usually loops three and sometimes more. He may have simply not spent alot of time watching TV. Errr... in the game, I mean. :P

Volourn

Pretty Princess
So, he's misinformed then. We shall see whose right. :twisted: then again, he;s probably not playing a couch potatoe like you apparantly are. :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Eh.. It's a carry on tv?

R00fles!

I can see it now. The sneaky vampire hiding in the shadows to jump his next victim is watching Johnny Carson in his back pocket.

Double R00fles!

Spazmo

Erudite
The TV news thing is actually quite well done. At the beginning of the game, there's a handful of stories, most of which you'll later get involved in. Also, when you complete certain... ostentatious quests (read: KABOOM!), new stories appear on TV. It's a really neat thing and I make sure to check the news once in a while.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to the radio yet. It worked really well in GTA since you were driving around all the time and could listen no problem. In Bloodlines, however, you kind of have to sit still.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Oh, ok. That seems much more reasonable. And, that sounds even better. I'm glad it's not a case of being forced to head abck to your apartment just to watch tv. Nice, that's it's multiple tvs.

Seven

Erudite
Volourn said:
Like I said, quoting the article, most things in the tele are absed around what the PC is doing. I'm pointing out it shohld be a lot more extra than that. Still, the concept is very nice and I can't wait to see it in action. Just sayin' that the PC while the focus of the game shouldn't neccessarily the focus of the game world espicially in the beginning when you are unknown totally.

It's great that you're basing your aeguments off review tid-bits, but you this isn't a point you can win since those who are actually playing the game know that player actions aren't the only things that are reported on. Play the game, then come back and try to make a point, at least then we'll have a common reference point.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"It's great that you're basing your aeguments off review tid-bits, but you this isn't a point you can win since those who are actually playing the game know that player actions aren't the only things that are reported on. Play the game, then come back and try to make a point, at least then we'll have a common reference point."

You are an idiot. Welcome to Exitium Land. I (nor the article) stated that there were no non player news in the game. Either read correctly or stop your crying.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Santa Clause will bring me the goodness!

Unless he gets captured by terrorists...

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Don't worry. If you feel that Bloodlines is a good game and can vouch for it first hand, you're obviously on crack and/or living in my universe because only a Troika fanboy would say anything good about the game.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Exitium said:
Don't worry. If you feel that Bloodlines is a good game and can vouch for it first hand, you're obviously on crack and/or living in my universe because only a Troika fanboy would say anything good about the game.

Not quite, but close. Only a Troika fanboy would say it's the M0ST AW3S0M P3RFCT RPG EVAR!

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I would definitely have to say it's the best RPG I've seen since Fallout. I'm hooked. The story and dialogue are just too damn good not to love. Very well done. And I'm not a fanboi, so put that in your pipe and smoke it. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom