Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Bloodlines excites the loins of ActionTrip

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<A href="http://www.actiontrip.com/">Action Trip</a> has a <A href="http://www.actiontrip.com/reviews/vampirethemasqueradebloodlines.html">review</a> of <A href="http://www.vampire-bloodlines.com">Bloodlines</A>. The score is <b>82</b>, listing the high points as the writing and world. The downsides, in their opinion, are the AI, sound bugs, and meaningless NPCs that look alike. Here's a bit about the writing:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The fact that Troika had something to do with the original Fallout is so delightfully apparent in 'Vampire' that it has filled my heart and mind with enormous glee. Seriously, the writing in this game is… well, you can go ahead now and list your own selection of superlatives. It's completely fucking awesome. It's spirited, it's thrilling, it's emotional at times and it's so delightfully sarcastic and drenched in crass and black humor that I will personally shoot, maim and torture every single ActionTrip reader that says they like this site, but don't like the writing in the game. Look people, whoever wrote the dialogue for Bloodlines is the fucking Baron. Think about how Smap and I write, and then add some actual talent and intelligence to that, and you have the script for Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. The story in itself is layered and suspenseful, but it's really the little things that make it so great. 'Bloodlines' is packed with memorable lines that are sure to make you laugh.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Yup, if I had to pick out something that's pretty decent in the game, it would be the dialogue.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
So.... think he liked the dialogue? :lol:

I agree though. I think that's what is going to carry this game through. It's just so wonderful not having looping dialogue that let's you recover from a mistake. The only case I saw of this was during the Jeanette/Teresa feud and that was easily justified.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, keep in mind that Action Trip is staffed by extremely low brow folks, so what probably excited them about the dialogue was the dropping of the occational F-Bomb. But there's quite a few examples of really good writing in the game that you can see right from the start. In the openning cut scene where the Prince addresses the local vamps, there's some damned good writing in his speech he gives. When he kneels down to your sire and says, Please, forgive me is top flight.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yes. It sounds like the dialogue in the game is very good. The only real solid complaints I've ehard about it is the fact that basically every or almost every female in the game is some type of slut or flirt. Not that I consider that a negative. :D

kumquatq3

Liturgist
About the bugs/a possible patch, Jora on the Obsidian baords posted this:

Leonard Boyarsky talks about the possible patch, http://bloodlines.dilapidation.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=17646&highlight=#17646 :

"I'm sure people are getting bored with me repeating this whenever anyone asks about the patch, so this will be the last time. If you see anyone else post the patch question, please direct them to this post.

Talk to Activision. They decide if/when there will be a patch and what the content will be. Rest assured, we are communicating with them about the problems people are having, but that's all I can say right now."

"I'm only frustrated that I can't say anything but what I've been saying, and I would think you guys would be tired of me saying "Activision" all the time."
Some anonymous Troika guy said, http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33791231&page=6&pp=30 :

"At this time, Activision has not contacted us at all about making a patch. This game does not seem to be very high on their priority list. Many of the bugs and typos we knew about, and many we had already fixed, or had fixes for. But these didn't make it into the game for various reasons, which I will not announce publicly, becuase I don't want to be sued by a certain publisher for slander. Needless to say, it makes me very frustrated. Maybe you should email Activision or something and ask them for a patch."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Kumq. O.o. You gonna post my reply? People here will hate it. :lol:

Spazmo

Erudite
Volourn said:
Kumq. O.o. You gonna post my reply? People here will hate it. :lol:

Let me guess "Troika blames the publisher again"? Well, it does seem odd that yet again, a publisher is disinterested in patching a Troika game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yes, that pretty much sums it up. Espicially when Troika seems to be accusing Activision of not having BL 'high on their priorty list' inspite of the hype and advertising muscle it got...

Jora

Arcane
Volourn said:
Yes, that pretty much sums it up. Espicially when Troika seems to be accusing Activision of not having BL 'high on their priorty list' inspite of the hype and advertising muscle it got...

Maybe Bloodlines is high on their priority list but patching it is not? Maybe they don't consider the bugs to be serious enough? Isn't helping them convince Activision that the bugs are worth fixing what the Troika guys want us to do?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Better read the Troikianq uote again. It says "this game is not high on the priorty list' NOT 'this patch simply isn't'.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Yeah! I've carried an arguement over to another board!

What do I win? Gimme gimme!

:)

EDIT: Tho I think vols right on the "when there smoke...." arguement here

Jora

Arcane
Volourn said:
Better read the Troikianq uote again. It says "this game is not high on the priorty list' NOT 'this patch simply isn't'.

Yes, but it could easily be interpreted to mean "After the release of the game Activision isn't as interested in it as they once were, because they believe all the serious bugs have been fixed and minor bugs won't hurt the sales."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Only if you give them the benefit of the doubt which I'm not.

Jora

Arcane
Volourn said:
Only if you give them the benefit of the doubt which I'm not.

I believe that's the conclusion we came to in the other thread. :D

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Anyone that ever purchased BattleZone 2 knows that patching games isn't high on Activision's priority list. Activision sat on a patch for BZ2 for several months, and even got more revisions of that same patch later, only to release the older patch candidate months later. They've never been a good publisher in terms of follow up support.

Part of the problem is that Activision is a public company. Patching isn't exactly in the company's short term interest, which is all investors care about. They released a game, Bloodlines, near the end of this fiscal quarter, so any paying they do to Troika to make a patch only sucks away from their hefty profit margin that they have to show to the investors every three months.

Quentin Payne

Novice
How do we know that guy even works for Troika?

I don't recall them saying that it was Atari's fault that the dialog and story were weak in TOEE, just that Atari wasn't supporting the making of patches. I don't remember them slamming Sierra for Arcanum patches.

All the "official" Troika psots on the forums are trying to help people with their problems and that they want to make a patch but its not up to them.

I'm nt surprised that publishers rush these games out and don't want to patch them, there a busines and all they care about is how much money they can make off their games. Patches cost money to make, and if the game isn't going to sell more by patching it, why shuld they bother?

Besides, Troika's prbably a pain to work with. Look how late this game was. Wasn't it suposed to ship last year or something?

They should have made Arcanum 2 instead of vampire anyway.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Besides, Troika's prbably a pain to work with. Look how late this game was. Wasn't it suposed to ship last year or something?"

Not really their fault other than the engine they chose to use.

Spazmo

Erudite
Rather the engine they were handed by Activision. You think Troika can afford the licensing fees for Source?

LeonX

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Volourn defending us? I'm not ready for the world to end yet.

Please disregard the anonymous "troika employee" posting. We are not in the habit of slamming our publishers while we're still working with them.

We wait until they kick us to the curb for that. :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Volourn defending us? I'm not ready for the world to end yet."

Hey, I liked Arcanum! And, I defend it and its crappy combat plus bugginess all the time! :lol:

Fez

Erudite
Complaining about a public company and the pressures of making profit for shareholders? YOU COMMIE PINKO LEFTY SCUM. GO BACK TO YOUR YURT HIPPY SCUM. Why do you hate freedom? :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom