Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review NWN premium module pains Gamebanshee

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Neverwinter Nights

<a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/">GameBanshee</a> decided to <A href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/software/shadowguard.php">review</A> one of those custom modules for <A href="http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a> you can buy from the <A href="http://store.bioware.com/">BioWare Store</a>. Here's the conclusion:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>So I wouldn’t really recommend ShadowGuard, unless you’re just desperate for a Neverwinter Nights module to play. Even with its 2-4 hour playing time, I struggled to find enough enthusiasm to finish it a second time to see if I’d missed anything interesting (I hadn’t). The only way its purchase might be worthwhile is if the version of Witch’s Wake included with it is a lot of fun to play.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Sounds like a wiener.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.ve3d.com">Voodoo Extreme</A>

EEVIAC

Erudite
Invincible henchman? Looks like these custom modules are starting to pay off for Bioware by introducing interesting solutions to some of their long-term problems.

Jed

Cipher
EEVIAC said:
Invincible henchman? Looks like these custom modules are starting to pay off for Bioware by introducing interesting solutions to some of their long-term problems.
Well, if they can't make the AI not suicidal, I guess this is the obvious--if un-elegant--next best choice.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's not a bad idea, really. I don't know how they implemented it, but instead of making them invincible per se, they should make them just pass out if they 'die' in combat. Once the combat is over they should be up and about again. It'd save a lot of those nasty trips back.

Reklar

Liturgist
Is it really so difficult to make AI that's not dumb as a post? It seems to me that they should be able to at least keep them from getting themselves killed needlessly. After all, if Fallout could do it to a reasonable degree seven years ago, why can't it be done now?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"After all, if Fallout could do it to a reasonable degree seven years ago, why can't it be done now?"

Hahaha. In spite of NWN's AI problems; it's years (hahah a funny!) ahead of Fo's. You may not see the truth; but it is the truth.

Reklar

Liturgist
Is that why a lot of Codexers, even the fans of the game, complain about the NPCs doing stupid, suicidal things? I know you're a diehard Bioware fan, Volourn, but even that much is self-evident. Even NWN fans outside this board complain about NPC AI more than I've seen fans of Fallout complain about it's NPC AI. Given your views though I can't imagine you would recognize that as anything other than unimportant, ironically enough. ;)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I never said NWN's AI is perfect. far from it; but it surely beats FO's AI. What's hilarious though is I like FO more than NWN.

R00fles!

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
I never said NWN's AI is perfect. far from it; but it surely beats FO's AI. What's hilarious though is I like FO more than NWN. R00fles!
Well, taken in context with your perpetual incoherence, it makes as much "sense" as anything else.

RGE

Liturgist
Jiles said:
Kingmaker seemed to get a better score than Shadowguard.
Apparently it was so good as to be the only thing next to Bloodlines to be nominated for best PC RPG of the year by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences. Here's a link to BioWare's article.

Sarvis

Erudite
Shadowguards was good. The henchmen weren't invincible that I could remember, just a few levels higher than you and your opponents. Much like they should be considering who they are...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom