Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age II SecuROM Report Follow-Up

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>More Dragon Age II news abound. <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=56839" target="_blank">RYG reported earlier</a> that Dragon Age 2 utilizes SecuROM whereas BioWare denied that, claiming it merely uses "Release Control" but not SecuROM. Meanwhile RYG has been approached by BioWare to resolve the issue but felt the need <a href="http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?776-RYG-News-RYG-Declines-To-Fix-Dragon-Age-2-With-EA-and-Bioware" target="_blank">to decline the offer</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>With our analysis of the <a href="http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?774-RYG-News-SecuROM-DRM-Release-Control-Dragon-Age-2" target="_blank">SecuROM / Release Control connection with Dragon Age 2</a> up for public viewing it&rsquo;s now a good time to explain to all why we have declined to assist Bioware through this troubling ordeal, in spite of our initial invitations to Bioware.<br /> <br /> Our decision is based upon Fernando Melo&rsquo;s most recent response as well as EA&rsquo;s absent responses in relation to <a href="http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?739-RYG-News-Analysing-SecuROM-In-Dead-Space-2" target="_blank">Dead Space 2</a>, which is also plagued with the same <a href="http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?770-RYG-News-Analysing-SecuROM-In-Dragon-Age-2" target="_blank">SecuROM-related issues found in Dragon Age 2</a>.<br /> <br /> That is: EA, Visceral Games and Bioware did not notify Consumers that SecuROM&rsquo;s Release Control was implemented in <a href="http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?737-Evluation-Report-Dead-Space-2" target="_blank">Dead Space 2</a> and <a href="http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?769-Evaluation-Report-Dragon-Age-2" target="_blank">Dragon Age 2</a> BEFORE its general release. And furthermore, EA and Bioware have defended their DRM policy stating that the Release Control implemented in Dragon Age 2 was not SecuROM: A claim that has now been <a href="http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?774-RYG-News-SecuROM-DRM-Release-Control-Dragon-Age-2" target="_blank">proven otherwise by RYG</a>.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Instead RYG provides a comprehensive explanation of how <a href="http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php?774-RYG-News-Connecting-Dragon-Age-2-s-%93Release-Control%94-To-SecuROM" target="_blank">SecuROM and Release Control</a> are connected.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>In this case, SecuROM does offer a service called SecuROM Release Control. Contrary to what EA and Bioware have stated, SecuROM Release Control is implemented in Dragon Age 2 without Consumer notification through its Game Packaging, Manual, Readme and EULA. RYG have confirmed the presence of SecuROM as a Release Control in its Analysis Report.<br /> <br /> We feel that we have provided more than enough evidence to validate our findings and, once again, places the spotlight back on EA and Bioware to defend themselves and their statements. This also includes their lack of notification of SecuROM in Dragon Age as described in our Evaluation Reports and SecuROM Analyses in Dragon Age 2.<br /> <br /> Lastly, we feel that this final report should settle the matter regarding SecuROM implemented in Dragon Age 2, regardless of whether it was &ldquo;full blown&rdquo; SecuROM or not. <br /> <br /> <strong>If a game is using any part of SecuROM, the game is using SecuROM regardless of how many SecuROM services it uses.</strong></p>
</blockquote>
<p>If this Release Control thing does nothing else but to check for the release date, do you care?<strong> </strong>I don't.<strong><br /></strong></p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/102055-dragon-age-ii-securom-report-follow-up.html">GB</a></p>

ortucis

Prophet
VentilatorOfDoom said:
If this Release Control thing does nothing else but to check for the release date, do you care? I don't.

It does that on consoles as well? Then it's ok, else PC gamers are used to taking it up their ass by now so I guess no one will care.

ortucis

Prophet
Blackadder said:
If this Release Control thing does nothing else but to check for the release date, do you care? I don't.

How does this work, and what is the intended function of it?

Well, it works like.. hmm.. lets see..

BIOSHOCK
GTA 4
FarCry 2

Also, it leads to stupid people telling you that you have pirated your legal copy, even though developers release patches to fix this issue later on. It's good to be a PC gamer.

:M

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I have no sympathy for any dumbfuck that buys a game from EA. I admit to buying some EA games (Dead Space, Dragon Age:Origins, Mass Effect 2) but no longer. EA is a shit company and I hope they go bankrupt within the next two console cycles.

Elzair

Cipher
Does the demo contain all the DRM crap as well? I thought about checking it out for teh lulz after reading some of Twinkle's LP.

DragoFireheart

Elzair said:
Does the demo contain all the DRM crap as well? I thought about checking it out for teh lulz after reading some of Twinkle's LP.

It wouldn't surprise me if the demo did contain DRM.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Blackadder said:

From what I understand it is to prevents digital downloads from being playable until release date. Doesn't seem that big of a deal.

DragoFireheart

oldmanpaco said:
Blackadder said:

From what I understand it is to prevents digital downloads from being playable until release date. Doesn't seem that big of a deal.

Doesn't matter. If there is no mention of it in the EULA and I don't consent to it it's illegal malware regardless of how harmless it is.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Blackadder said:

It worked like this: After my Amazon copy arrived and after downloading the huge ass high res texture pack I installed the game. Then the game informed me that it was too early for me to play the game and that I have to wait until the next day whatever o'clock because that's the official release date for my country. Then I had to wait. You can see, it was a very important feature, without it I might have played DA2 a couple of hours too early.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elzair said:

I doubt it. It runs some version of EA Live that's for sure, but there's no point in it having SecuROM's release date functionality since it is a controlled release anyway.

I kind of feel RYM overstated its case here, but still, EA is obliged to fully disclose its DRM including Release Control, and while I get why they avoid the name SecuROM it should be there, especially if it leaves things behind when uninstalled.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
what about the claim, that the securom stuff doesn't get (completely) removed when you uninstall the game ? any news on that ?

Shannow

Waster of Time
If they only ban the pirates, I don't care.

The road to Hell isn't paved whith good intentions but with "why should I care?".

Google mal nach Salami-Taktik. Scheibchenweise akzeptieren Menschen Sachen, die sie im Paket nie akzeptiert hätten. Es ist mühsam, aber man sollte immer gegenhalten, selbst wenn es sich um Kleinigkeiten handelt, die einen stören. Mich persönlich kümmert der Mist auch nicht, aber wenn EA SecuRum einsetzt, haben sie das gefälligst auch mitzuteilen.
"Rauchen tötet"
"EA benutzt SecuRom"
Transparenz ist die Vorraussetzung für informiertes Konsumverhalten ;)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shannow said:

Uhm? Yes? If you break the ToS you can get banned. If I spread my GamersGate password to a dozen people so they can all download my games I would expect to be banned. Ownership does not automatically imply infinite rights.

If your point is that it's all a slippery slope, then that's a bit of a non-argument. Publishers have certain rights to protect their property. Banning accounts for violating game-based ToS (not for behaviour on forums) is one. Adding DRM to their games is another. They do not have the rights to ban someone from his games for forum behaviour, or to add DMR but not notify consumers. This isn't a slippery slope, they're clearly delineated rights that should be legally enforced (and I think within the EU at least, they are).

Shannow said:
Google mal nach Salami-Taktik.

I don't need to google it, but: nonsense. What alternative do you offer? That publishers have no rights? Ridiculous. You might have a point if I stated EA was fully in their right to not disclose their DRM package, which would be an equally ridiculous viewpoint. But I did not.

Shannow said:
Transparenz ist die Vorraussetzung für informiertes Konsumverhalten ;)

Agreed. And in that sense RYM is right. But their initial report did not inform the consumer much better than EA did. They overstated their case, and as such did not do a proper job as "consumer watch hounds".

EA uses a part of SecuROM's security suite. They wanted to avoid any mention of it which is understandable but, y'know, wrong. RYM was right in pointing this out, but it was wrong in not initially expounding upon the difference of SecuROM as it is commonly thought of (which is the full DRM) or what EA uses in its titles.

So they're both wrong. EA is wronger, though.

Gord

Arcane
Brother None said:
What alternative do you offer? That publishers have no rights? Ridiculous.

It's not that publishers shouldn't have any rights, it's more about publisher and developers caught lying about a certain issue.
Although I personally wouldn't really mind if this program is, indeed, completely removed after patching, as promised.

waywardOne

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
If this Release Control thing does nothing else but to check for the release date, do you care?

fuck yes i care. it secretly installs a program that secretly uses my internet connection, both of which can be compromised without my ever knowing they even exist.

sometimes i wish they made games worth playing just so i could steal them out of spite.

Brother None said:
If your point is that it's all a slippery slope, then that's a bit of a non-argument. Publishers have certain rights to protect their property. Banning accounts for violating game-based ToS (not for behaviour on forums) is one. Adding DRM to their games is another. They do not have the rights to ban someone from his games for forum behaviour, or to add DMR but not notify consumers. This isn't a slippery slope, they're clearly delineated rights that should be legally enforced (and I think within the EU at least, they are).

Wat? Am I missing something here? They did ban him from his games for forum behaviour.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
space odyssey said:
Wat? Am I missing something here? They did ban him from his games for forum behaviour.

Yes, and they did install DRM without notification. I'm saying both things aren't right. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wish it'd be worthwhile to sue them. I could see it work in the EU. I'd have to buy DAII first though. Not worth it.

Ha, definitely not worth it. But if there were some kinda slope, I'd say there near the bottom of it already. Why people bother to submit themselves to ANY TINY AMOUNT of crap for something they pay for when the power is 100% in their hands is beyond me.

Arcanoix

Scholar
I tried to tell those morons on the EAWare forums that SecuROM WAS in the damned gold edition disc, but noooo nobody would believe. :smug:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Blackadder said:

It starts, unpack itself into temp directory, adds few hundred strings into register, try to lock memory from user, change few stuffs, try to create an internet connection to a Securom server, when it fails it shows Securom message, when it succeeds it creates encrypted bidirectional communication with Securom servers that send a private data from your computer to the Securom server. If it discovers it's still before release date it shows message it's too soon to run it, else it will decrypt the data on your HD. Then if that game requires full Securom, it will install the rest of Securom on your computer.

Basically it's a dropper which uses the most harmful parts of a Securom technology.

BTW While I dislike using security by obscurity, if you are using your computer from an account with limited privileges, try to imagine what would happen if you used an account with administrator privileges for your work. Exactly that stuff happens when you run that dropper.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
EA has a track record for doing this kind of shit. Anyone who still buys EA products knowing their history deserves the inevitable shitty treatment they'll receive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom