Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect 2 is BAFTA Worthy

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<p>The <a href="http://www.bafta.org/press/game-british-academy-video-games-awards-winners-in-2011,140,SNS.html" target="_blank">British Academy of Film and Television Arts</a> has recognized the superiority of <strong>Mass Effect 2</strong> to all other games in the past year.</p>
<blockquote>MASS EFFECT 2 triumphed in the Best Game category. Lauded by the jury as a &ldquo;combined achievement of technology, art, design [and] audio&hellip; a beautiful complete gaming experience&rdquo;.</blockquote>
<p>If you're wondering how relevant the judgements of BAFTA are, please note that Fallout: New Vegas was nominated in the <a href="http://www.bafta.org/awards/video-games/video-games-awards-nominees-in-2010,1656,BA.html#jump11" target="_blank">Strategy category</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/">Gamasutra</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Micromegas

Novice
Why are the Academy for Film and Television giving awards to games in the first place?

Literary critics don't give out awards to films. Why are these people trying to judge a medium they aren't familiar with?

Multi-headed Cow

Jason said:
<p>If you're wondering how relevant the judgements of BAFTA are, please note that Fallout: New Vegas was nominated in the <a href="http://www.bafta.org/awards/video-games/video-games-awards-nominees-in-2010,1656,BA.html#jump11" target="_blank">Strategy category</a>.
Maybe a subtle nod toward the origins of RPGs being wargames? :philosoraptor:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Because games are trying really hard to be like movies.

waywardOne

Arcane
just the british pretending to be relevant on the world stage. move along.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Jason said:
British Academy of Film and Television Arts has recognized the superiority of Mass Effect 2 to all other games in the past year.
MASS EFFECT 2 triumphed in the Best Game category. Lauded by the jury as a “combined achievement of technology, art, design [and] audio… a beautiful complete gaming experience”.
If you're wondering how relevant the judgements of BAFTA are, please note that Fallout: New Vegas was nominated in the Strategy category.

Other strategy nominees include Plants vs Zombies XBLA. If you are wondering http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCOEvqNDyrA. These people are seriously fucking retarded and have no idea what are they talking about.
And don't try to insult NAMBLA with Ass Effect 2...

As much as I prefer British culture to American in most ways (though I'd say the norm of british comedians/comedies > US comedians/comedies that I grew up with has since been reversed), there's an embarassing tendency among British institutions to try desperately desperately hard to show that they're 'hip with the youth thing, because we, like, understand that new fad MySpace and the internet and stuff'.

Case in point: that tv show Skins.

But even in their better shows (and I freaken love both old and new versions of Doctor Who, especially the stuff written by Moffat, both as a guest writer and since he took over the reigns last season, so this hurts) they do it - Dr Who is filled with it. I don't know where it comes from, but the Americans seem to have a lot of youngish 20-35 writers doing that kind of stuff, whereas the Brits have a bunch of middle-aged 45+ writers trying to show how hip and youthful they are.

BAFTAs covering games is just one more case in point. I'm an oldie myself, but I suspect the kids would look at that and think 'why are those guys who know film/TV really well, and games really badly, giving awards to games - aren't they just damaging their credibility?'

One of the best British miniseries I've seen in recent years was Moffat's modern-setting 'Hyde' (as in, Jekyll and Hyde, although it isn't really a version of the original - links to it in a partial of way, eventually), which does the exact opposite. It's middle-aged Moffat doing a mini-series about a middle-aged guy who spends most of the series emasculating/killing/torturing all these ultra-pretty, ultra-hip young guys, with the 'young hip sexy' Michelle Ryan being reduced to a school-girl crush on him, to which he is completely oblivious as he chases his middle-aged alpha female ex-wife:). It's like one long middle-finger extended to 'the youth':) Fucking awesome mini-series, I heartily recommend it any Codexer who is feeling old and past it:).

Deleted Member 10432

BAFTA is half a dozen luvvies congratulating one another at nauseating length. There is nothing of value at the BAFTAs anyway, unless you enjoy watching the criminally smug telling each other who wonderful they are. In which case, you are probably Stephen Fry and should fuck off.

Azrael the cat said:
and I freaken love... new versions of Doctor Who
Your opinion is worthless, then.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Why are the Academy for Film and Television giving awards to games in the first place?

It doesn't give any awards to games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom