Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GOG version of Witcher 2 DRM free, QA session and more

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p><span style="color: #ffffff;"> </span></p>
<p><span style="font-size: x-small;"> </span></p>
<p><span style="font-size: x-small;"> </span></p>
<p>It seems our DRM disliking comrades over at <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/frontpage?as=1649904300">GoG</a> will be providing a version of the <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/page/tw2v2?as=1649904300">Witcher 2 DRM free</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition to be DRM-Free only on GOG.com</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>We're happy to announce GOG's version of highly-anticipated RPG will not contain DRM as all other downloadable versions will.</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>With the exception from the "good, old games" rule by offering The Witcher 2, we wanted to transfer all the GOG values to a new AAA title. Thanks to a close cooperation with our sister company CD Projekt RED, the developer of The Witcher franchise, we've managed to get the best deal for the digital edition of the game. With today's announcement of GOG's version being the only one fully DRM-free in digital download, the deal gets even more unrivaled! We stated from the very beginning, DRM isn't an efficient way to combat piracy and we mean it.</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Additionally:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>For all users who preorder the game on GOG, we'll host a live video Q&amp;A on Ustream with Senior Producer of The Witcher 2, Tomasz Gop. The Q&amp;A will take place on Friday, March 18th, at 19:00 GMT</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p><em>...everyone who preorders The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings on GOG.com by noon GMT on Thursday the 17th will receive a link and a password that will allow them to take part in the session and ask questions about The Witcher 2 and GOG.com. Everyone whose questions get answered will receive one coupon for a free GOG game.</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Since <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/page/tw2v2?as=1649904300">Pre-ordering The Witcher 2 is free</a> on GOG and doesn&rsquo;t compel the person pre-rdering a copy to purchase it, how could one miss out on getting an opportunity of asking one of your burning questions about The Witcher 2 as well as a chance of a free game from GOG!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>You can pre-order your copy of The Witcher 2 today from the<a href="http://af.gog.com/en/page/tw2v2?as=1649904300"> pre-order page here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101960-the-witcher-2-will-be-drm-free-on-gog-live-qaa-on-friday.html">GameBanshee</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
At least it will be a memorable first post.

Raapys

Arcane
Good for them, though I'm unsure why CDProject did this. Unless this release will be later than the others, it practically renders the DRM in the other versions obsolete.

Raapys

Arcane
Elwro said:
DRM helps anyone? This game would be torrentable day 1, or day -1, DRM or no DRM.
Maybe, but if you put DRM into your game it's because you think it'll help against piracy. But if you release one version without DRM at the same time, it's sort of like keeping all your valuables in a crackable safe and leaving the key on top of it just for good measure.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Raapys said:
Maybe, but if you put DRM into your game it's because you think it'll help against piracy.
No. You put DRM into your game to show your shareholders that you're doing something.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Everything you want to know is in white anyway. So it's fine.

Moreover, I would gladly welcome all DA2 news in that exactly fashion.

Edit: That's a damn shame.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Fuck yeah, this is how digital downloads should be!
No DRM, no euro price gouging, actual pre-ordering rather than prepurchasing!

Pre-ordered!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Best way to combat piracy is to make a high quality game like Dragon Age 2 so well no one will want to pirate it!

:smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Spectacle said:
Fuck yeah, this is how digital downloads should be!
No DRM, no euro price gouging, actual pre-ordering rather than prepurchasing!

Pre-ordered!

Indeed. I also pre-ordered because I 100% support developers and publishers that wish to provide for us quality DRM free products. As well as supporting all those excellent DRM free loving people in the fair land of the potato.

3925.png

spekkio said:
err... I mean, congrats on your first news post, Jaesun.
I'm surprised you didn't choose something about ME3, though...

;)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeesh said:
Like any loyal Codexer, I dream of the day when all PC games will be free.

They are already..... :smug:

I preordered my GOG version anyway. I have no qualms about pirating but when a company goes for the trust system like GOG with something that will be the 'best game ever'(tm), how can one not support it?

Alex

Arcane
Congratulations on your first newspost, Jasede. Keep them coming!

By the way, while I really like that CDProjekt will sell the game without DRM at their own store, I can't help but think that this looks like a shady business practice. I understand it is more lucrative to sell off your own store, and I am ok with developers adding something extra to the version sold there. But this looks more like they are taking away something from the other versions instead of adding something extra to theirs. Maybe this isn't important, but it sure seems weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom