Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geneforge 3 screenshots!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Geneforge 3; Spiderweb Software

There are 4 <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge3/shots.html>Geneforge 3</a> screenshots posted at <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com>Spiderweb</a>. I guess that means that highly anticipated GF3 has just been announced. So, yay! The screens look great: new interface, new and very improved inventory, lightning effects, character models, even items crafting, etc.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Astro</b>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Looks to me like he beefed up the engine and graphical content. The new inventory screen looks nice too. And I definitely like the thought of item crafting.

As long as Jeff keeps cranking them out, I'll keep playing them. He has yet to disappoint. :)

Whipporowill

Erudite
So, we'll finally be crafting our own living tools and reaper batons? Fucking awesome if that's the case - I really felt I wished that had been part of the original games - even if only as part of a quest or something.

Spazmo

Erudite
I dunno--I think the interface could use a trim. All that fleshy red stuff is unnecessary, as is having full-size icons for the PC and his shaped creatures. I'd rather have the whole thing be more compact and get more viewable area.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Spazmo said:
I dunno--I think the interface could use a trim. All that fleshy red stuff is unnecessary, as is having full-size icons for the PC and his shaped creatures.

Exactly. I'd rather just have small icons in the lower part of the screen for character/creatures, like ToEE. Even being able to hide the panel like you could in BG2 would be an improvement.

almondblight

Arcane
Otaku_Hanzo said:
As long as Jeff keeps cranking them out, I'll keep playing them. He has yet to disappoint. :)

Ehh...my faith in Spiderweb has been wavering since Nethergate. The Avernum's were fun, but they were just the Exiles with a facelift. Geneforge was fun, until you got through the desert and found out it was just like Geneforge one with an extra faction. And the whole Blades of Exile fiasco kinda pisses me off.

Don't take me wrong, I still find his games entertaining, but he doesn't seem like he's been making a whole lot of progress, and the fact that he's making Avernum 4 doesn't instill much hope into me.

By the way, I haven't seen those shots anywhere, where the hell did you find them?

Jed

Cipher
Yes!

The apparent inventory management improvement alone has me stoked. Can't wait for this one...

wizard

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
Yay indeed!

So, does this constitute a new engine using the old art assets in the screenshots, or simply the old engine pimped out? Any idea how far along Jeff is?
That is using the old engine. The new engine will first be seen in Avernum 4. And as Jeff said in Spidweb forums the "Avernum 4 engine" is almost ready or something like that.

Speaking of the screenies it seems that the character graphics have received some updates. And what new lightning effects there are in the first screenie? It looks like the same lightning as in Geneforge 1&2.
The GUI seems decent..only thing I don't like about it are the buttons in the right side. They just don't seem in place there. Inventory seem to be much better than in older versions.
That's all I can think of those screenies for now

MrBrown

Liturgist
Hmm, doesn't look that much different than GF2. Not that I mind much. The GUI is ugly though. Hopefully the inventory systems is at least as playerfriendly as the GF2 one was...

Whipporowill

Erudite
The GUI doesn't look all that good no, hopefully it's just a placeholder thing - or something that won't look as bad when filled with more info. I remember seeing the inital screenshots of the GF2 GUI and finding it horrid, but when I played it I didn't even think about it for some reason.

Eh, still curious where those screenies "came" from - as there seems to be no official annoucement or newspost or anything at Spiderweb. There's not even a dedicated GF3 page yet!

wizard

Liturgist
Whipporowill said:
Eh, still curious where those screenies "came" from - as there seems to be no official annoucement or newspost or anything at Spiderweb. There's not even a dedicated GF3 page yet!
Jeff propably uploaded them now waiting for the right time to announce Geneforge 3.

EDIT: Nevermind, these screenshots were announced in Spiderweb Software's Newsletter:
* First Geneforge 3 Screenshots

Our next game will be Geneforge 3. It's the sequel to the hit fantasy
adventures with a sci-fi twist, Geneforge and Geneforge 2. Soon, we
will be announcing the new title to the new world, but subscribers of
this newsletter get the very first look at the new screenshots.

To see how it looks, go to:

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge3/shots.html

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I like the look of the new inventory system. But I think that those 4 icons to the right could be scaled down and inserted into the bottom row. It would give us e bigger view window.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I dunno, I think the GF3 GUI is a huge improvement over that of GF and GF2, where the screen was severely limited by the inventory space and other things.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I don't think that's meat. I think that's Big Red creme soda fresh from the bottle, still full of the bubbles.

Anyway, it's a huge improvement, IMHO. Hopefully Jeff will make some retro-active patches with the new interface for the old Geneforges.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom