Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus on IWD3 and More

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Joystiq interviews Obsidian Entertainment's bigwig Feargus Urquhart. <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/25/obsidian-entertainment-playing-in-other-peoples-worlds/" target="_blank">Read what they're on about</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Obsidian is also pushing on updating a former Black Isle property: <em>Icewind Dale 3</em>. "I was talking to Atari last week," he confides, "and said why don't we do this?" The old series, he says, didn't end because of low sales. "They stopped being made because of licensing issues, and Interplay going out of business, and BioWare moving on to console, and a whole lot of things. So a part of it is, why not go make <em>Icewind Dale 3</em>? You can't spend $20 million on it, but why not go make it?"<br /> <br /> And if Obsidian had their pick of any property to update and make their own? "I'd like to do <em>Ultima</em>," says Urquhart. " I think doing an <em>Ultima</em> would be awesome. I think it's been long enough since <em>Ultima 9</em>. Those <em>Ultima</em> games that Garriot did were cool, and I think doing an <em>Ultima</em> would be awesome."</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16832">RPGWatch</a></p>

tehRPness

Educated
Making a new Ultima without Richard Garriot? Fuck that shit.

As if they need that much money to make a new IWD anyway. Make it story-heavy with some strategic combat and screw the graphic whoring cinematic bullshit and CGI circlejerking. Could easily prove interesting, even with 4E rules.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
VentilatorOfDoom said:
And if Obsidian had their pick of any property to update and make their own? "I'd like to do Ultima," says Urquhart. " I think doing an Ultima would be awesome. I think it's been long enough since Ultima 9. Those Ultima games that Garriot did were cool, and I think doing an Ultima would be awesome."

Awesome...

Well, it couldn't conceivably end up much worse than Ultima 9, could it?

:M :M :M

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"that reads as an insult. "

Not to mention ignorant and hypocritical since Obsidian isn't exactly anti console either nor is BIO anti PC since all their games other than Sonic: RPG are also PC.Plus, waht does BIO have to do with IWD3? It's not like they have the license.

R00fles!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
There's a difference between making a PC-game and then porting it to consoles or making a console game with a PC-port later, as evidenced by the horrible UI in Oblivion, DA and ME. Heck, even KotOR already suffered from this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DA was a PC game ported to consoles FFS. The porting didn't even start until 2008 and they had to delay the original PC release date so they could finish it and release them all at the same time. It's not like every single PC-exclusive RPG has a stellar UI, right?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm wondering if an IWD3 isn't on the cards actually. They just made a brand spanking new engine for DS3, why couldn't it be used for what is basically another H&S though with more classic AD&D rules?

Same thing for another Ultima, the engine seems good for it as well.

Ultima IX wasa turd and Garriott seems to have lost interest in the whole industry, but the world is certainly robust enough for games like the U5 and U6 remakes to make a compelling experience, so why not Obsidian making it? If nothing else, Obsidian can certainly write a decent story more often than not.

Seems like another couple of slamdunks coming, using Obsidians new engine. :P

Suchy

Arcane
tehRPness said:
No, Garriot obviously lost it with U9. I'd rather have Obsidian developing a new Ultima game than another IWD hack&slash.

tehRPness

Educated
Jaesun said:
tehRPness said:

What exactly has Garriot done since the excellent RPG that is Ultima IX?
I guess one could argue exactly that he should stick to what he does best, which undoubtedly must be Ultima. But regardless, I just wouldn't approve of a remake, reboot, prequel or whatever without him. Ultima is his. Regardless how big fans the remakers might consider themselves, they will still easily fuck it up. I'm lazy, so I'll just point at Beth's F3 and Bio's spiritual successor to BG.

deuxhero

Arcane
pocahaunted said:
If only they were going to use the ToEE engine. :M

Err, not the actual engine, buggy quick saving FTL.

Now a proper use of the 3.5 ruleset like ToEE (with grappling being an option and fixing some of the rule mistakes) would be good.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In a recent interview Garriot praised the direction which the "recent ARPGs" (i.e., Oblivion and Fallout 3) took with regards to "interactive storytelling", so no way I think we should trust him with a new Ultima. Not that the writing in the Ultima games was any good, but I shudder to think what kind of an "interactive" piece of shit Garriot would make if he had the money.

Of course, Obsidian shouldn't mess with the Ultima series either. Let it rest in peace. Another game akin to MotB would be nice though.

tehRPness

Educated
Even so, I'd rather see Gariot ruin Ultima himself, so we know that it's dead. Instead of seeing someone try and resurrect it and hear nostalgics moan for 50 years about how it could have been pure nerdgasm if only L.B. had been at the reins.

Either way I think I have higher hopes for some of the remakes out there, even if they are 49 years in the making. :obviously:

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Ultima X would probably be almost as good as Ultima IX. I don't think the series could recover from IX. I like to pretend the series ended with VII and VII" Part II. They would never be able to get the rights to Ultima anyway so it is kind of pointless in even giving this much attention. It was obviously said as just a pipe dream with no real plan on seriously giving it a go.

I agree that the ToEE engine would be great for an Icewind Dale game. I haven't seen much about the DSIII engine but it sounds like it could be modified to make a turn based H&S game which I would most definately buy.

Hmm if Dungeon Siege III sells nicely I guess there's a chance they could fool some publisher into thinking there's place for pseudo turn based combat of Icewind Dale on modern console targ market ;)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crooked Bee said:
In a recent interview Garriot praised the direction which the "recent ARPGs" (i.e., Oblivion and Fallout 3) took with regards to "interactive storytelling", so no way I think we should trust him with a new Ultima. Not that the writing in the Ultima games was any good, but I shudder to think what kind of an "interactive" piece of shit Garriot would make if he had the money.

Of course, Obsidian shouldn't mess with the Ultima series either. Let it rest in peace. Another game akin to MotB would be nice though.

Well Garriott has the money, just doesn't want to spend it on making games anymore. Don't mind him personally staying away, though I'd wish he'd at least fund some decent old school production and thus redeem himself for U9.

Thinking of TOEE is a pipedream. It's not going to happen especially since Obsidian have just made their own engine that they'll probably use for several projects. Pure TB will never be an option for Obsidian, they'll play it safe and at most go the IWD route for the immediate future. Baby steps comrades, that's all that can be done ATM.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Country_Gravy said:
It was obviously said as just a pipe dream with no real plan on seriously giving it a go.

Why? The Wheel of time game is published by EA and Obsidian is in recent talks with EA (Feargus visited them just last year).

Its not that impossible. The main part is to convince EA that they can make Money out of it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom