Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review The most idiotic KOTOR review evar

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Wow, two really stupid <a href=http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic>KOTOR</a> reviews in one day! What are the odds of that? <a href=http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=2053>This one</a> is written by <a href=http://www.gamedreamz.com>Game Dreamz</a>, a gayer-than-Christmas anime site. The score is <b>9.5/10</b> because "KOTOR is flawless. Nothing else is wrong and it’s a testament to Bioware’s ability to pay attention to detail and weave an exhilarating yarn."
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>KOTOR is not a game. It’s a living; breathing world full of emotion, conquest, romance and epic battles
<br>
<br>
The worlds themselves could also be labeled as characters. Huge, expansive forests contrast barren deserts and lush grasslands. The worlds, in a word, are GIGANTIC. And, there’s tons, and I mean tons, of sidequests and sightseeing to be found. In a sense, it’s almost difficult to leave each world due to the attachment you will have to the vistas and natives throughout. Never before, in an RPG or otherwise, did I feel like difference were actually being made due to my decisions.
<br>
<br>
Where Morrowind was a vast, untouched realm of free-roaming adventure, ranging from dull moments to great moments, KOTOR puts you on a linear enough path to keep things exciting at all times. It’s much more focused and much more rewarding in the long run, and at the same time, you never feel like you are confined by its structure. Bravo to the developers.
<br>
<br>
KOTOR utilizes a D&D twenty-sided-die rule-set for its extravagant, turned based battles. It’s a bit confining at first, but once you get accustomed to the nature of the battle system, it becomes intuitive, thus providing a strategic battle each and every time. The options allow you to make it more real-time and some of the later boss battles rival most straight-up action games on the market. </blockquote>I could never understand how people get to be so stupid. Must be the anime thing.
<br>
<br>
Edit: For something even more stupid, take a look at their <a href=http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=161>FOBOS preview</a>: "Being a huge fan of the original Fallouts, I know that this one is going to be just as good. Baulders Gate and Hunter were good games, but they could have been better. I'm hoping this is where Fallout really shines."
<br>
<br>

Transcendent One

Liturgist
The review is clearly written by a moron, but I can't help but wonder about the FOBOS preview bit...

Why do people insist on misspelling certain names, like Baldur's Gate turning into Baulder's Gate or something like that. Is it that difficult to notice that a name is spelled a certain way?

Also this lovely quote

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is being developed by Interplay who are currently working on Baulders Gate 2.

I think it speaks for itself. PS yeah, I know he means DA2, but it's still funny as hell.

geminito

Liturgist
Are you sure that site isn't like The Onion? It so bad it has to be a joke! The KOTOR review seems sarcastic to me. For example, " The worlds, in a word, are GIGANTIC." That's some top-notch sarcasm!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sadly, it's not. He most likely refers to the fact that the planets have more then one location to visit.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Transcendent One said:
Why do people insist on misspelling certain names, like Baldur's Gate turning into Baulder's Gate or something like that. Is it that difficult to notice that a name is spelled a certain way?
It's a mystAry. BG is definitely one of the most misspelled names ever. It proves that despite the claims, the majority of people are illiterate and can't spell anything not supported by spell checks. Here is another example:

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php#33757 - Balder's Gate.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Hey! Watch it VD. I watch anime! :P

I think it's more like an age thing. Probably a young pimply teen who thinks Sephiroth is the coolest guy EVAR!

Personally, while I did like KOTOR despite it's flaws, I wasn't this messed up over it. Two moronic reviews in one day. What does this mean? :shock:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Personally, while I did like KOTOR despite it's flaws, I wasn't this messed up over it. Two moronic reviews in one day. What does this mean? :shock:
The morons are mutiplying at an alarming rate?

Dhruin

Liturgist
I telll you what, VD...I'll make sure our guy doesn't have a typo in Baldur's Gate if you make sure you get your syntax right. Try than in this phrase: "a gayer-then-Christmas anime site". Deal? ;)

space captain

Liturgist
U. S. of Fuckin' A. ...and dont forget it or we'l
id like to get ahold of some of what these reviewers are smoking, or shooting, or eating, or whatever

KOTOR wasnt even as good as Final Fantasy 5 for SNES... in fact, it was alot worse... even with the "unique decision making system"

its not even in the same league as most PC RPGS

Transcendent One

Liturgist
While it seems the RPGDot guy actually made a typo, the errors in the FOBOS article certainly aren't typos.

Either way, I just don't understand how some of this shit happens. I've seen Morrowind <fans> refer to it as Morrow Wind and whatnot.

Eclecticist

Liturgist
Transcendent One said:
Either way, I just don't understand how some of this shit happens. I've seen Morrowind <fans> refer to it as Morrow Wind and whatnot.

What is the world coming to! :shock:

Greenskin13

Erudite
Better luck next time, Mr. Chan.

Dhruin said:
I telll you what, VD...I'll make sure our guy doesn't have a typo in Baldur's Gate if you make sure you get your syntax right. Try than in this phrase: "a gayer-then-Christmas anime site". Deal? ;)

You made a typo. There are only two l's in tell.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Well... At least there wasn't any mention of TEH UBAH TURNBASED COMBAT! :wink: At least not as far as my eyes could see. I'd say he deserves one credit for that.

*waits for someone to come up with a quote saying "KOTOR is turnbased" in the language of moronica*

dunduks

Liturgist
Locue said:
Well... At least there wasn't any mention of TEH UBAH TURNBASED COMBAT! :wink: At least not as far as my eyes could see. I'd say he deserves one credit for that.

*waits for someone to come up with a quote saying "KOTOR is turnbased" in the language of moronica*

GameDreamZzZ said:
KOTOR utilizes a D&D twenty-sided-die rule-set for its extravagant, turned based battles.
:lol:

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Did these guys play a different KOTOR than I did? I swear there was no turn based combat in the game I played. Now maybe I don't remember very well since I've forgotten most of my gameplay experience from KOTOR, but whaaa!

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
They had a setup similar to the Infinity Engine where you could go into options and have the game pause for certain things such as "character gets hit", "end of round", "enemy spotted", etc.

Limorkil

Liturgist
dojoteef said:
Did these guys play a different KOTOR than I did? I swear there was no turn based combat in the game I played. Now maybe I don't remember very well since I've forgotten most of my gameplay experience from KOTOR, but whaaa!

That was my reaction too. I thought maybe they were writing about KOTOR 2, but no.

And KOTOR is instantly forgettable. I only finished it a month ago and when I think back to the "good bits" my mind goes blank. I know it was a good game, but for some reason nothing stands out. I think its because it was so easy, even on the hardest setting, and the dialogue was good but not controversial or amusing. Compare that to Ultima VII, which I haven't played for 8 years or so but can remember like I played it last week.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Yeah just about the only thing I remember, is when I looked at the character screen and I was really evil, then my character would be breathing heavy and the have red fog around him. Oh and that final level where... damned if I know what happened in the final level. Yeah, very forgettable, though I do remember thinking it was a decently made game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom