Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Someone stupid reviews KOTOR

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Just when you thought that anything stupid about <a href=http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic>KOTOR</a> was already written, <a href=http://www.macologist.org>Macologist</a> went and wrote Mac's <a href=http://www.macologist.org/viewtopic.php?p=2390&sid=92e47a9fc718d8c0a4c73ed2dc640d6e>KOTOR review</a>, giving it <b>4.5/5</b> rating and concluding that "...the game is phenomenal. If you are a Star Wars fan, and RPG fan or just a fan of a fun action filled game, give this game a shot, but it will be fun for anyone, even those who traditionally dislike RPG's." You can always tell that an RPG is good, when reviews state that even people who hate RPGs like this one. No, that's sarcasm.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>A total of 126 Industry awards, 48 of which are for 'Game of the Year' makes Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR) a game to take notice of. <u>Featuring a unique decision-making system</u> combined with excellent story telling and a truly beautiful score, KotOR is a 3D role-playing game with behindview and a rotating camera that allows a player, especially a fan of the Star Wars universe, to fully immerse themselves into their character and play like the galaxy's fate is in their hands. </blockquote>A unique decision-making system? Haven't heard that one before.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The battle system of KotOR is a mix of real time combat and turn based attacks. You can pause the game mid-fight and issue orders to slow down the action, or you can simply issue orders as the attack plays out, letting the flurry of Light Sabers and blaster fire fill your screen and ears. The effect is a fun combat system which allows you complete control over 3 characters at once, without silly stops in game play every time its someone's turn to fight.</blockquote>A mandatory claim that KOTOR was somewhat turn-based, followed by the criticism of all *other* turn-based systems.
<br>
<br>

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That was priceless. Behindview! I wonder what he calls isometric. Viewfromabove?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Who cares about the review's quality. I say he's a liar. How cna anyone claim to love a game but put off reviewing 'til a good year after its release.

R00fles!

P.S. And, no, i didn't bother reading a review of an ancient game.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Vol, the Mac version hasn't been out that long. Mac users always get the short end of the stick when it comes to new games.

But, yeah, this review is rather lame. All bow down to the mighty KOTOR! Greatest RPG EVAR! :roll:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Transcendent One said:
Yeah, my male guardian had a really sexy ass.

Out of context, this quote could lead into some fine conversation about slavery, S&M and homosexual or bisexual events in your life. But since you're talking about KoTOR, there's no fun to be had :(

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
LARP is gay

Kamaz said:
What LARPers have to do with KOTOR?

My point is that LARP is gay and so is this review. I thought they had so much in common.

I KNEW this would piss you off, Kamaz. Why do you have to take LARP so personally?

It's OK, though. I still love you.

almondblight

Arcane
Crap like this has made me consider starting my own Mac game review site. Of course, I'd actually have to give a damn.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Oooh! Unique decision making system! Is that, like, unique for the Mac version or is it, like, the über dialogue options that confused the reviewer? :lol:

Edit:
almondblight said:
Crap like this has made me consider starting my own Mac game review site. Of course, I'd actually have to give a damn.
You need a unique decision making system!

Limorkil

Liturgist
Did the reviewer even play the game? Or did he conclude that it must rock because it won so many awards and then construct a review based on what other people said and the screenshots.

Combat in Kotor was annoying because you had these combat feats and force powers but you really didn't need to use them because the fights were so easy, except at the beginning of the game before you became a jedi. The combat looked cool except that you had to pause it to issue new commands, and you could not fully rotate the camera to get a good look around you without breaking the character out of combat mode. I prefer tactical turn-based combat but nicely flowing real-time combat can also be cool, its this hybrid turn-based/real-time worst-of-both-worlds shit that I cannot stand.

I even made a character that did not use combat feats or force powers and he waltzed through the game on the hardest setting without me pausing the game mid-fight more than a handful of times (all at the beginning).

Seven

Erudite
I don't want to be Johny come lately, but god this is too good. "Immersion" and "Choices", WTF, isn't KOTOR the same game that was constantly making decisions fro me? WOW! From little shit like not letting me go into the mystery box when on that island to all that BS on that water-world. Yeah, being told what I should being feeling and how I should act regardless of what I really want to do is really immersive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom