Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Choice and Combat in The Witcher II

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>According to IGN <strong>The Witcher II</strong> is a <em>choice and consequence style of role-playing game</em> so they aptly named their article <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1151764p1.html" target="_blank"><em>Choice and Combat</em></a> , but they only cover combat.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Perhaps most noticeably different is the combat, which has been completely redone. Gone are the times of squinting at an onscreen icon to determine when to trigger follow up attacks for combos. The Witcher 2 plays more like an action game than an action-turn based hybrid -- which is a good thing. Geralt can be customized with a mix of sword, magical and alchemy skills. You can't acquire every skill, though, so you have to either take a balanced approach and spread out upgrade points across each category, or dump a majority into one. If you happen to max out the sword skill line, for instance, group finishing moves can be unlocked. For magic a new magical sign is unlocked that lets you slow time. And for alchemists who'd rather quaff potions than slash swords or discharge magic, a berserk skill is unlocked toward the end of the tree. According to CD Projekt, pursuing only one tree is a viable way to get through the story, though I would assume doing so would leave Geralt particularly vulnerable in a few key areas.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16825">RPGWatch</a></p>

potemkin

Novice
Now the true and only definition of RPG has been renamed to "choice and consequence style of role-playing game", nice. I can't wait to play that great looking RPG called Crysis 2, I'll be playing the role of a super-soldier! Yay!

Vibalist

Arcane
Re: Choice and Combat in The Witcher 2

VentilatorOfDoom said:
The Witcher 2 plays more like an action game than an action-turn based hybrid

Eh? Action-turn based hybrid? What was turn based about TW1's combat?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Vibalist said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Obviously you had to turn around with your character a lot.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mangoose said:
So we still don't know how exactly combat is different from the first game.
From all the descriptions and this control set-up it seems pretty obvious how it works (F meaning fast and S meaning strong of course).

DraQ

Arcane

tehRPness said:
J_C said:
Vibalist said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Obviously you had to turn around with your character a lot.
:salute:
[intelligence] So, Gatling is a turn-based weapon?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At least the C&C sounds like it will actually be meaningful this time.

curry

Arcane

VentilatorOfDoom said:
Gone are the times of squinting at an onscreen icon to determine when to trigger follow up attacks for combos. The Witcher 2 plays more like an action game than an action-turn based hybrid -- which is a good thing.

Dees_Dumb.jpg

Suicidal

Arcane
Actually the "combat more like an action game" thing can be a good thing cause the combat in TW1 sucked. Whether it will be good or not depends on how they pull it off but I think it's impossible for them to make it worse than TW1's.

made

Arcane
Totally. Witcher combat was retarded. I click as fast as I can (like in any good rpg) and instead of pwning face Geralt stumbles around like a gimp what a fucking joke QTE turnbased popamolololol uninstalled after 10 mins. :monoclecodex:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
made said:
I click as fast as I can (like in any good rpg) and instead of pwning face Geralt stumbles around like a gimp w
Maybe your reaction time is slow. You have almost a second after the flashing icon to click.

tehRPness

Educated
J_C said:
made said:
I click as fast as I can (like in any good rpg) and instead of pwning face Geralt stumbles around like a gimp w
Maybe your reaction time is slow. You have almost a second after the flashing icon to click.
Still, there wasn't a hint of turnbased combat in there. It was already very action-ey, even moreso than NWN. Resulting in me uninstalling the game and yet again thanking the stars I haven't paid for any RPGs made the last 6 years.

Crichton

Prophet
I'm cautiously optimistic, a real combat system wouldn't have made the Witcher a great game, but 40 hours a real gameplay is a monumental improvment over 40 hours of "click when you hear the swishy sound".

Crichton said:
I'm cautiously optimistic, a real combat system wouldn't have made the Witcher a great game, but 40 hours a real gameplay is a monumental improvment over 40 hours of "click when you hear the swishy sound".

Even a big fan of TW1 like me have to admit that combat wasn't the highlight of that game :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom