Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Bethesda launched a <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/" target="_blank">new trailer</a> for <strong>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim</strong> today, complete with in-game (or at least in-engine) footage of dudes yelling at dragons and the same Max von Sydow monologue from the first trailer.</p>

Peter

Arcane
Graphics really are quite bad, but then, we all knew that. The locations are still quite cliched, but at least more varied than Oblivion's.

From everything we've seen and heard, I'm expecting :incline: over Oblivion, but that's not saying much.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It looks pretty damned amazing to me. Honestly, trying to look at it as objectively as possible, the actual in-game animations of the character look a little stiff, very reminiscent of Oblivion of course, but otherwise a good advancement in the tech. Impressive looking environments, detailed shadows, water looks better this time.

And yes, the sound is very, very good.

Exmit

Scholar
What is this turd talk about graphics ?

kodex = gfx wh0rez , news at 11

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
That engine looks exactly like the Oblivion engine. Isn't it supposed to be a new one?

bonescraper

jiujitsu said:
That engine looks exactly like the Oblivion engine. Isn't it supposed to be a new one?
It's "updated". But of course, all of a sudden IT LOOKS AMAZING (again) OMG OMG OMG. Oh, the hype, even on my Codex, even after Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Bethesda's lies. You sheeple never learn. You fuckers truly deserve this dumbed down piece of shit.

And
Jaesun said:
That video was gay.
indeed.

adure

Liturgist
NOW-THIS-I-CAN-FAP-TO.jpg

spectre

Arcane
jiujitsu said:
It's the assets probably, even if you gave cryengine 4 to the same bunch of hacks, the results will be similar.

Gord

Arcane
I know it's probably a bit too much to ask, but some of you should really try to understand the difference between an engine (renderer) and the art style (models, textures, etc.) of an game.

Anyway, doesn't look to bad. Seriously guys, what are you expecting.
It has the typical Beth looks, of course, guess if you don't like that, well...

As for how the game will turn out, let's see.
But don't worry, there's still much hope that it will be bad enough for you to bitch about it!

After playing through it at least 7 times, of course. :smug:

torpid

Liturgist
Call me when there's a vid with more than a few seconds of consecutive gameplay footage.

Also, wasn't that a Dragon shout at the start of the video, when the character turns around to face the dragon? :lol: Sounded pretty cheesy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hopefully there will be a new video showing the exceptional and high quality of Bethesda writing.

I think graphics are the least of one's concerns when dealing with Zeni-Beth games.

Still, it's true that their character models and animations are shit.

They're good at making nice-looking outdoor environments. Everything else is mediocre at best, and I expect Skyrim to be no different.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Jaesun, I respect your opinion brother, but you're kind of trying a little too hard with this.

What specifically don't you like about it, man? I understand it's difficult if not impossible to judge anything Bethesda puts out now without weighing their past successes and failures into the mix, and I don't blame you for doing so, but you, as a longtime Codexian and someone whose, for me personally anyway, opinion on RPG's is worth reading, can do better.

Do you hate everything about the gameplay we got to see? Hate the art? Hate the apparent game engine specifics? Expound dude!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Crispy said:
Jaesun, I respect your opinion brother, but you're kind of trying a little too hard with this.

What specifically don't you like about it, man? I understand it's difficult if not impossible to judge anything Bethesda puts out now without weighing their past successes and failures into the mix, and I don't blame you for doing so, but you, as a longtime Codexian and someone whose, for me personally anyway, opinion on RPG's is worth reading, can do better.

Do you hate everything about the gameplay we got to see? Hate the art? Hate the apparent game engine specifics? Expound dude!

Maybe he just remembers how Oblivion looked and sounded good up until it came out and pretty much all the hype turned out to be outright lies.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The trailer looks cool and all that but it's just a trailer...shame on you people getting all excited , were you hibernating during the Oblivion hype?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I simply believe in judging something for what it is. How one can look at that trailer and not be impressed is somewhat mystifying to me, but there's no accounting for taste.

It is fair to judge Bethesda appropriately. I am reserving any outright excitement for Skyrim until I actually get my hands on it.

But I also feel it's fair to critically view something based on its apparent value, and what I see in there looks worthy of some interest. Same thing (yet opposite conclusion, for me) from the DA2 demo/trailers: they look as if the series has taken significant steps backwards, not forwards as is my opinion here.

For some there's no repairing their opinion of TES and I can't fault them too much for it. A whole lot of that bile is well-deserved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom