Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher 2 Hands-on Impressions

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Two previews of <strong>The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings</strong> are available.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/23/the-witcher-2-preview/" target="_blank">Joystiq discover cause and effect.</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>When I finally did meet up with the poet Dandelion, he confirmed that a succubus was behind the murders, and, to catch it, he suggested that he play the bait. After a short wait until midnight (players can now "meditate" to move the game clock forward), Dandelion and I walked out to the succubus' cave, and I was given brief control of the poet and asked to recite some of his poetry from a dialog tree. Here the game emphasized that the players who do a little research on their own are not only more knowledgeable of the gameworld, but better equipped to thrive within it: If I'd read the poetry book found earlier, I'd have know Dandelion's style and could have been able to recite his poem from memory. Instead, I clumsily limped through the verse.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Dandelion was eventually captured by the succubus, and back as Geralt, I burst into the cave to save him -- and to kill the demoness. I chose violence and a quick end to the beast (I am a Witcher, after all), but again the CD Projekt representative reminded me that there would have been more to discover -- and to play -- had I taken a different approach to the quest. He revealed that it was actually Ele'yas (the man who started me on this sidequest) who had killed the succubus' lovers, and that if the player discovers this then "the story gets really complicated." My questline had ended, but I'd only covered about half of its total gameplay because of the choices I'd made.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>So violence isn't the number 1 solution to everything? If the non-violent approach isn't the inferior one in terms of XP and quest rewards either I'd be happy.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-23-the-witcher-2-hands-on" target="_blank">Eurogamer figured</a> that the new combat system is an more action-orientated system that's more fluid and delivers a stronger bite.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Unquestionably this is an improvement, and a change that's unlikely to alienate devotees of the first game. Melee justice is still dispensed through meaty sword swipes while the finishing moves are just as gruesomely satisfying.</p>
<p>Planting his first blade through one side of an enemy's chest, then adding the second before ripping them both out and delivering a swift but clean decapitation, Geralt is still every inch the devil's carvery chef.</p>
<p>While it's a tighter, more engaging method for dealing with the miscreants of the world, doubts linger over the effectiveness of crowd control. Holding a monster at bay with a magical pushback while breaking down the defences of a melee opponent is only rewarding if you've held back the right enemy.</p>
<p>There's a niggling lack of feedback for single-entity, distant targeting and only a short amount of time between now and the game's release to get this right - or leave people clamouring for the earlier, drier system.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16817">RPGWatch</a></p>

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Storyfag said:
Joystig said:
players can now "meditate" to move the game clock forward

Joystig cannot into The Witcher 1? :M

That completely slipped past me. :lol:

From what I've seen in the promotional videos, I'm personally quite skeptical as to whether or not TW2's combat is actually an improvement.
I suppose we'll see come may; I don't regret pre-ordering it yet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
While it's a tighter, more engaging method for dealing with the miscreants of the world, doubts linger over the effectiveness of crowd control. Holding a monster at bay with a magical pushback while breaking down the defences of a melee opponent is only rewarding if you've held back the right enemy.
Isn't that how it's supposed to work? He's complaining about being forced to play well?

bonescraper

Storyfag said:
Joystig said:

Most game "journalists" didn't even play the first game mainly because it was made by an unknown developer and it's a PC exclusive. So yeah, now when it's apparent the first game actually sold pretty well and gathered a good amount of fans despite the "mediocre" ratings and half-assed reviews, ("i played TW for 30 mins and it's the worst game evar durr hurr, 67%") they're making shit up to cover up their ignorance.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"TW2's combat is actually an improvement"

Can it be worse? That's impossible.

"Most game "journalists" didn't even play the first game mainly because it was made by an unknown developer and it's a PC exclusive."

Bullshitz.

"Most game "journalists" didn't even play the first game mainly because it was made by an unknown developer and it's a PC exclusive."

bullshitx2

why than gametrailers did fucking 10minutes review of twihcer? they didnt even bother with divine divinity 2, drakensang or risen :smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Volourn said:

Bullshitz.

Stupid fucking cunt.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:

Bullshitz.
Your well thought answers are amazing.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Storyfag said:
Joystig said:

First thing that caught my eye. Also, my cue to stop reading an article evidently written by a seriously mentally challenged oxygen-thief.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm kidding. The whole boobie card thing in The Witcher (I felt) was just fucking stupid (your mileage may vary).

I am actually looking forward to The Witcher 2, granted I still have not finished The Witcher EE yet. It certainly looks and sounds like it will a be far more better game than Dragon Turd 2.

Phelot

Arcane
This was posted before. I know, because I recall complaining about journalists spoiling entire quests rather than just explaining what they did and didn't like. Instead, it's as if they make a log of everything that happened "Then I went to the cave. I liked it because I didn't make the right choice and got into a fight, but then I saw boobs. Then also this was awesome because I got to see the guy sing."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom